4-star OT Walker talks Canes after landing offer yesterday

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes extended their second offer to a 2020 prospect under new head coach Manny Diaz, sending a bid to 4-star offensive tackle Issiah Walker from Miami Norland yesterday. The big man is currently committed to South Carolina, but was ecstatic to have the opportunity to stay home and play for the local school.

“I found out through my head coach that Manny Diaz offered me,” Walker said. “I felt very excited and happy to have an offer from Miami.”

With the class of 2019 entering the final month of the cycle, Walker knows he is only a short time away from becoming a priority for coaching staffs across the country, including the Canes. While Walker is interested in UM, he says he wants to make a visit to campus shortly to familiarize himself with the program a little more.

“I have some interest, but I have to learn more about them first,” Walker said. “Playing with some of their O-Line players like Navaughn Donaldson attracts me a lot.”

If he were to choose the Canes in the end, it’s clear a big factor in Walker’s decision will be to stay close to family.

“Staying close to home would be very good and the location does have an impact,” Walker said. “Miami is very close to home and all of my family can come and see me play.”

Walker says he actually grew up a Canes fan and started following UM when he was around 8 years old. However, it seems UM has work to do; South Carolina is going to be tough to beat and is far out in front for the Miami Norland star as of now.

“It’s very solid,” Walker said of his commitment to the Gamecocks. “I would say it’s because I’m very close to the coaches there.”

After a standout junior season that saw him add nearly 40 pounds in the past year, Walker (who lists himself at 6’4”, 280) now lists offers from UF, FSU, Penn State, and Kentucky in the Power 5, in addition to UM and South Carolina. Despite his South Carolina commitment, Walker made clear he is going to check out all his options before making a final decision on where he’ll sign.

“What I’m looking in a school is that it makes me feel very comfortable, like I’m at home,” Walker said. “I’ll make my final decision on where to sign at the end of the year.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm sorry, is it just me or is the photo accompanying the headline for this post on the main News page unintentionally hilarious??

2020 has somebody very solid lineman hopefully we can get him dumervil jalen rivers the duo from south dade and maybe some others

2020 has somebody very solid lineman hopefully we can get him dumervil jalen rivers the duo from south dade and maybe some others

Should be doable with a new offensive staff and opportunity available. May not get every one cause bags will be dropped but our oline class should be 5 deep of very good players.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back