4-star OT Walker details Miami recruitment, official visit plans

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miami Norland 4-star OT Issiah Walker has had a busy spring of recruiting, making multiple trips to see schools like Miami and FSU, while also attending junior day events for Florida, UCF, and South Carolina, the school he is currently committed to.

“Just enjoying everything about being recruited and building relationships with coaches,” Walker said. “Right now, I’m in the process of getting to know the coaches and making sure I make the right decision.”

The 6-4, 285 pound prospect attended Miami’s 2nd spring scrimmage held at Traz Powell Stadium back in mid-April, and took the time to get to know head coach Manny Diaz and the other coaches on staff better.

“I really enjoyed myself, it was good being back at the Mecca and the vibe was all love,” Walker said. “I talked to coach Diaz and basically all of the coaches, they showed nothing but love.”

The Canes’ recruiting pitch to Walker has been to continue building a relationship with the Norland star, as well as focusing on family.

“They were asking how my season went and how I’ve been, just talking about a lot of football-related things,” Walker said of UM. “Also family, they would always say they’re big on family and getting to know my parents and that’s very big for me.”

Walker recognizes the impact of what staying close to home would mean for him and his family.

“They love Miami for the coaches and campus,” Walker said of his parents. “Miami is very close to home and all of my family can come and see me play.”

Walker originally got his Miami offer back in January from Diaz, but it was before the current offensive staff was set. Since then, Miami hired Butch Barry to take over the offensive line, and Walker has spent a lot of time getting to know Barry the past few months.

“Our relationship is very strong - some of his techniques he teaches, I use in practice,” Walker said of Barry.

While Walker is being courted by Miami and others such as LSU, FSU, UF, and UCF, he has been committed to South Carolina for about a year now and still maintains his commitment to the Gamecocks.

“I would say I’m 90% committed,” Walker said of South Carolina.

Walker originally planned his first official visit to LSU last month, however he was unable to make it to Baton Rouge that weekend. He has yet to set a date to reschedule, but plans to take the official to see the Tigers this summer, along with the rest of his official visits.

“I want to do it in June,” Walker said of his LSU trip. “I want to do most of my officials in the summer.”

In addition to LSU, Walker knows that he wants to take an official to South Carolina as well, but he is not sure where his three other officials will go to as of now. He is also planning on signing early this December.

“What I’m looking in a school is that it makes me feel very comfortable, like I’m at home,” Walker said. “I’ll make my final decision on where to sign at the end of the year, after my senior season.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I certainly hope that I'm wrong but considering that he is currently committed to an SEC school (even though I expect him to flip to somewhere) and he is interested in several SEC schools, it seems like he would like to go to a SEC school rather than Miami.
This is a bad post. He’s interested in good schools. Conference doesn’t matter. It’s not like he’s interested in low tier SEC school just cause of the conference. It just happens that the SEC has good schools that are recruiting him so he’s interested

Advertisement
Long way to go. He seems to be enjoying the recruiting process and all the love that comes with it. Feels like we the front runner once he decommits but who knows.

Advertisement
This is a bad post. He’s interested in good schools. Conference doesn’t matter. It’s not like he’s interested in low tier SEC school just cause of the conference. It just happens that the SEC has good schools that are recruiting him so he’s interested
Sorry, it was just an observation...USCe is not even a good SEC school - there's at least 7-8 better schools in that same conference.

Advertisement
I can’t remember the podcast or who said it.
However it’s one of the best quotes about UM recruiting.
“If there is a highly rated local recruit 20 minutes from campus that has had an offer, has visited campus multiple times and hasn’t committed, then he’s probably not coming”
We did offer later than the other schools. And he hasn’t visited as much. But if this keeps dragging he isn’t coming.

I hear ya...But if he's worried about winning why SoCar?
Maybe they were one of the first schools to give him attention. “90% committed.” Wonder if he will still release a top 12 soon. “No interviews.”

Advertisement
Back