4-star OT Tate visits for UM-FSU, spends time with UM commits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 4-star OT Marcus Tate was an invited recruit for Miami’s win over rival FSU 2 weeks back. The University School star has been a frequent visitor of the UM program over the past year, and enjoyed his time at Hard Roch Stadium.

“It was amazing,” Tate said. “The atmosphere was phenomenal. The game even got me out my seat, I was very excited.”

On the visit, Tate felt right at home with some other Miami commits that were at the game, spending time with both Kingsley Eguakun and Donell Harris.

“I mean I had a talk with Kingsley and I sat by Donell Harris during the second half,” Tate said. “So, just getting to hang with the other recruits was fun.”

What was the vibe he was getting from Equakun, who is currently looking around at other programs?

“Really good,” Tate said. “He gave me advice and just told me not rush anything and just how to become a better football player.”

As for Harris, Tate says the two have known each other grown up over the years.

“That’s my homeboy, I play travel basketball with him,” Tate said on Harris.

Did the trip ultimately help the Canes move up in his mind?

“I mean, I’m neutral right now,” Tate said. “But the atmosphere of the game gave me a very good impression. I had the chills at some points of the game.”

Miami’s offensive line struggled the majority of the game, giving up 5 sacks and 13 TFL, but Tate was more focused on the effort of the group as Miami made their comeback on the Noles.

“I thought they played hard,” Tate said of the OL. “I loved how they fought back.”

Aside from Miami, Tate is getting heavy interest from a host of top SEC schools, and he has been one of the more heavily recruited sophomore’s in the country.

“LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn are currently coming after me hard,” Tate said.

At University School, Tate and the Sharks have gotten off to a perfect start, going 7-0 under head coach Daniel Luque.

“It’s going great, every game so far has been a running clock,” Tate said on his sophomore season. “We’re fighting through adversity and our coaches are great. Coach Luque is really guiding us as men and as a family and team. We’re improving throughout the season, but as for myself, I’ve been doing pretty good.”

From the beginning, Tate has said he plans on taking his time with his recruitment and doesn’t plan on any quick decisions. However, if he was to end up at Miami, a big factor would be UM’s close proximity.

“I’m just taking my time with my recruitment,” Tate said. “With Miami, I’d be closer to my momma and it’s the crib, the hometown team.”

Advertisement
We've got to start landing guys like this consistently. If we want to ever take the next step we need 4 big maulers on the o line every recruiting class

Advertisement
2021 is great, but they need to find OL for 2019 so they don’t waste another great def.

Advertisement
Back