4-star LB Hood rising on UM's board, plans weekend visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After a strong performance shutting down everything that came at him at the Under Armour Miami Camp this past weekend, 2021 St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star LB Jaydon Hood earned an invite to the UA All-America Game in January for his efforts.

“I feel like I performed great,” Hood said. “I got a little banged up – I’m not injured, but when I say that, I mean it was physical, it was competitive.”

When talking about the toughest players in the camp to match up against, Hood pointed to a current Miami Hurricanes running back commit.

“Thaddius (Franklin), he was really good,” Hood said. “Definitely want to go against him again, I love the competition.”

The recruiting process is relatively new to Hood right now, as the rising senior ‘backer has received the majority of his offers, including from the Canes, since the calendar flipped following his breakout junior season on the field. His new suitors include college football powers Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, and FSU. As such, Hood is still trying to take things slow and learn more about all his new options.

“I know I’m taking a lot of visits in the spring, I’m not sure where yet,” Hood said. “I want to figure out what colleges I like, what colleges I don’t like. I’m undecided right now, but you guys will know my decision by the end of the season.”

As for the local Hurricanes, Hood says that UM has increased their efforts with him in recent weeks and that he’s feeling the love from the home school.

“I’ve been talking to all the coaches lately,” Hood said. “It’s going well with them, I talk to them all the time. Great coaching staff, great atmosphere. I love it.

“They definitely like me at inside linebacker. They said they’d want to put a little more size on me. They said they want me there at Miami, that I’m a good fit for their team and their organization.”

The 6-1 210 pound prospect also says he’s been getting a lot of attention from head coach Manny Diaz lately and that has him feeling like a priority to the Miami staff.

“It’s definitely an honor and a blessing to be able to talk with coach Manny Diaz regularly – obviously, I have to stay humble,” Hood said. “He just tries to build a relationship with me. He’s not one of those coaches that’s always saying ‘You’ve got to come to my school.’ He actually wants to build a relationship with me, talks to me. So I enjoy that a lot.”

A few weeks after Hood received his UM offer, the Canes were able to get the star linebacker on campus for the first time for Miami’s Junior Day event in late January.

“It was great, I loved it. The meeting rooms were amazing, it’s amazing how they break down film,” Hood said. “I was with coach (Blake) Baker. I definitely learned a lot from him, just in those 5-10 minutes with him. It’s helped me in my game, it showed today.”

While the Hurricanes had tons of prospects on campus during an event like Junior Day, Hood wanted to return to Coral Gables to get more of a one-on-one experience with the coaching staff.

“I’m actually going back to visit this Saturday, it’ll be me and family,” Hood said.

Being a local recruit from South Florida, Hood has plenty of experience with the Miami program in general, but he also has a personal tie to the school as well with his mother an alumni of UM, and cites a former Hurricane as one of the players he models his game on.

“Miami has a history of having great linebackers, and Shaq Quarterman was one of my favorite linebackers,” Hood said. “The way he comes downhill and thumps, and his attitude, the way he leads the team. Just being able to be a part of that would be a great opportunity and a blessing.”

Hood recently transferred to STA after a monster junior year at Cardinal Newman in 2019 that included 115 tackles, 25 TFL, 7 sacks, 1 INT, 4 FF, and a TD.

“I feel like I have a lot of instincts, I feel like that’s what helps me and what differentiates me and the others,” Hood said. “Just being able to see the play before it happens. And then my athleticism as well.”

Advertisement
Trying to learn all these new names so please forgive me but isn't this kid the LB who has a lot of speed, spatial awareness and already shows decent coverage skills?? I love Shaq and Pinck but would also love to see the pass on the flat stopped prior to turning up field sometimes.

He's one of the top 3 LB's in state.

Advertisement

He's one of the top 3 LB's in state.
do you think we have a shot with him EL?

Well, in lieu of recent events Hood or any prospect won't be visiting us or anyone else anytime soon. We gotta find a way to effectively recruit over the phone and other mediums till they get this virus under control.

Advertisement
do you think we have a shot with him EL?
Yes, his Mom went to Miami & he's been talking with Diaz a lot & was supposed to be visiting this week up until C-19 shut everything down.

We offered him right before he blew up with offers from Bama, LSU, TAMU, Michigan & PSU. Hopefully whenever this shutdown is over we can makeup whatever ground we need to & get him back on campus.

It will come down to how well we recruit him & showing him on the field we're a serious program. He's a really smart kid that comes from a good family & has good head on his shoulders, so we can't mess around in his recruitment, we need to show him we're not a clown show & it will increase our chances.

I think Diaz will have to handle this recruitment like he did for TAC & do it himself, Diaz, Baker & Banda are the guys that need to lead this recruitment. Plus, with Twan Rusell coaching him at STA hopefully he'll steer him our way.

I believe we'll get him if we win this season, but who knows, we've missed easier slam dunks before lol.

Its kinda comical, but for some reason, since the "striker" position has been created, our linebacker recruiting has picked up, but shhhhss, dont tell nobody!

Advertisement
Trying to learn all these new names so please forgive me but isn't this kid the LB who has a lot of speed, spatial awareness and already shows decent coverage skills?? I love Shaq and Pinck but would also love to see the pass on the flat stopped prior to turning up field sometimes.
Does not seem or look fast to me at all. Like his physicality, but he's slow to me.

Yes, his Mom went to Miami & he's been talking with Diaz a lot & was supposed to be visiting this week up until C-19 shut everything down.

We offered him right before he blew up with offers from Bama, LSU, TAMU, Michigan & PSU. Hopefully whenever this shutdown is over we can makeup whatever ground we need to & get him back on campus.

It will come down to how well we recruit him & showing him on the field we're a serious program. He's a really smart kid that comes from a good family & has good head on his shoulders, so we can't mess around in his recruitment, we need to show him we're not a clown show & it will increase our chances.

I think Diaz will have to handle this recruitment like he did for TAC & do it himself, Diaz, Baker & Banda are the guys that need to lead this recruitment. Plus, with Twan Rusell coaching him at STA hopefully he'll steer him our way.

I believe we'll get him if we win this season, but who knows, we've missed easier slam dunks before lol.
Those schools will probably keep calling him thru no contact period and we will oblige by the rules. Then he will say we dont show him love, I have heard this from recruits mouths this cycle..

Well, you gotta believe mom is going to side with UM. I'm sure she'll let him make his own decision, but she can be the one to weed out the BS from other schools and have him focus on what he's looking for in a school. I think if Miami checks all of his boxes, then he probably becomes a Cane. However, if one of his boxes is playing for a natty, then Miami better show some life next year by winning the Coastal and putting up a good fight with Clemson in the ACCCG. Who knows what would happen if Clemson wound up being are only loss before the post season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back