4-star DE Harris breaks down early commitment to UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Booker T. Washington 4-star DE Donell Harris is already considered a top prospect in the class of 2021. With other ultra-early offers from Power 5 schools like NC State, Syracuse, and Baylor and interest from many others, Harris’ is becoming heavily pursued as only a sophomore. However, after spending a few hours on campus at UM’s Paradise Camp in July, Harris saw no reason to drag his recruitment out longer. He had dreamt about being a Hurricane all his life and, after receiving a UM offer in June, found it hard not to commit on the spot. It wasn’t long, though, before Harris knew Miami was truly the place for him and he committed to UM after the Paradise Camp festivities.

“I felt really good and confident knowing that I committed to a very great school that has a lot of interest in me to going to their school,” Harris said on his big moment. “My dad broke it down to me on how Coach (Mark) Richt is recruiting and how in the next few years, Miami could possibly win the national title.”

Miami D-Line coach Jess Simpson was another factor in landing Harris’ pledge and it’s becoming more and more common for younger players to commit to their school of choice early in the process. However, that doesn’t mean UM was expecting Harris to come on board with the Canes so soon.

“They were very surprised when I committed,” Harris said on the UM staff's reaction. “I also love Coach Simpson, he’s a hard working coach and he’s going to make you work.”

Part of the reason Harris wanted to commit so early was to help establish UM’s 2021 class as a group that will be a force in the coming years. As he is already close friends with other 2021 commits in local talents Laurence Seymore and James Williams, Harris feels the bond that the 2021 class can have in representing the city of Miami could be special.

“Pulling the trigger for Miami was a great move for me because now everybody sees that Miami has talented kids committed in the class of 2021,” Harris said. “I have been talking to the other commits, we’re real close friends. Knowing that we got the city on our back, it will be great.”

Although there’s no one player in particular that Harris wants to add to the class of 2021, he does say he’s already trying to be a leader in the class and get other talented players on board.

“I want to get other guys from around the country to commit to Miami so we can have the crib rocking how it was back then,” Harris said.

The 6’5" 200 pounder is one of the few 2021 prospects that already has a national ranking and Harris has made a name for himself early on: he is considered the #14 player in the nation by 247Sports.

“It feels great, but know I have to live up to the standards,” Harris said on being ranked highly.

And his message to the Canes fans out there that have followed his recruitment?

“I'm going to make the crib great again!”

Advertisement
I will be stoked if he's still a firm commit in a December 2020. This far out is an eternity when discussing teenagers

The fact that the commits are friends should help later in keeping them committed.

Advertisement
This kid just turned 17 yesterday. He's older for his grade. Would like to hear from someone actually at Paradise and if he was working kids his own age and older

Advertisement
“My dad broke it down to me on how Coach (Mark) Richt is recruiting and how in the next few years, Miami could possibly win the national title.”

Thank you Mr Harris.

Pops must see how Richt is really recruiting Miami and knows if all the South Florida kids stick together they would dominate College football

Advertisement
“My dad broke it down to me on how Coach (Mark) Richt is recruiting and how in the next few years, Miami could possibly win the national title.”

Thank you Mr Harris.
Like i said in the thread that Mark Richt will get it done. Recruiting, Recruiting. In a couple more seasons, our Roster will be stacked with players top to bottom. Bastian of dominance.

Advertisement
Pops must see how Richt is really recruiting Miami and knows if all the South Florida kids stick together they would dominate College football

We need to keep preaching this.
Given this kids comments, I think it's starting to sink in with the local studs.

Advertisement
Back