4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Having received his offer last April, 2021 IMG Academy (FL) 4-star CB Markevious Brown has been pursued by the Miami Hurricanes for over a year at this point, giving him ample time to get to know the UM coaching staff.

“I’ve been having a nice, genuine relationship with the coaches,” Brown said. “A couple of the coaches came up to see me at IMG at least three or four times.

“I’m from South Florida, so I’m already familiar with UM. When I talk to coach (Jonathan) Patke, coach (DeMarcus) Van Dyke, and coach (Mike) Rumph, it’s just mostly about getting familiar with them and the coaching staff.”

Brown’s main recruiter has been Patke, who recruits the Bradenton area and IMG.

“There’s been a lot of conversations of us getting to know each other more, just building a good relationship,” Brown said of Patke. “He tells me I have a chance at just coming in and being able to play early.”

Back in October, Brown narrowed down his options to a top 7 consisting of Miami, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Penn State, and Mississippi State. Brown was originally from Pahokee HS before transferring to IMG ahead of his junior season in 2019, and says he thinks about coming back to South Florida to play for college often.

“Being from South Florida, growing up in a household with Miami fans, seeing everybody from where I’m from go there and play, that really opened my eyes to a lot of stuff and made me really want to think about UM,” Brown said.

However, in the months since he posted his top group, Brown says the landscape has shifted in his recruitment, with new suitors coming in and some other programs falling off, and he expects his next cut to look much different.

“A lot changed with my top 7, so probably after the corona break is over, that is subject to change,” Brown said. “I’m trying to get a top 5 soon.”

One of the new schools that is coming hard? Brown says that’d be Virginia Tech, and it seems the Hokies have done a good job connecting with the IMG star.

“They recruit me hard and are making me feel wanted,” Brown said of VT. “I have the ability to come in and play early there.”

Like many other recruits, Brown was planning to take a round of visits this spring, but the lockdowns have made him change his thought-process regarding recruiting, including when he might make a final decision.

“With the virus, a lot has been pushed back,” Brown said. “With me, I’m not rushing anything, I’m trying to see what’s best for me and where I want to be. I don’t want to put a date on anything, just whenever it feels right at this point.”

It’s clear the talented corner prospect will take his time making his choice, and Brown will base his final decision on if a program can offer him the right fit.

“It’s going to come down to whichever school I have a genuine relationship with and recruits me hard, somewhere I’m wanted,” Brown said. “I’m not forcing anything, I’m not basing anything off mood swings or anything like that, I’m just trying to find the best place and the best opportunity for me.”

For the 6-0 170 pounder, his first season at IMG had ups and downs, and Brown is looking for more out of his final year of high school in 2020.

“I’m a physical corner with speed, a corner that knows the game. I feel I’m a corner that can matchup with anybody on the field,” Brown said. “My junior season, it was not how I wanted it to go, it wasn’t how I dreamed it would be so to speak, but I feel it was good. I made the best of my situation and I feel it was solid, but it definitely could’ve been better.”

What is Brown looking to improve on to ensure his senior season better lives up to his standards?

“Really just catching the ball, I feel like I dropped too many interceptions last year,” he said.

Advertisement
If the staff pulled this kid, they deserve a raise...

I've heard he wants to go to Bama, but he's not a take for them & he's pretty high on UF as well but he may not be a take for them either. Tenn & Va Tech are on him too. If Auburn doesn't get McKinstry (who they lead for) I wouldn't be shocked if they doubled back & went after Markevious.

If we got a verbal from this kid, I highly doubt he would stick, kid is future decommit waiting to happen.

The fact we putting Patke on'em to me is an indactor we don't really want him that bad, which is understandable because he's a game player & his recruitment would be nothing short of a classic South Fla drama filled roller coaster.

I have no issue with us recruiting him, just don't bet the house on him, he's a kid you recruit at arms length, basically you put the ball in his court & tell him if you want in we'll take you, but if you wanna play games we won't waste much time on you.

Omarion Cooper should be the #1 priority at CB IMO, if we can get him that'll be the biggest get at CB we've had in the Diaz era, that kid's upside is special. Go all out for Cooper, throw the kitchen sink at him, just get'em.

If the staff pulled this kid, they deserve a raise...

I've heard he wants to go to Bama, but he's not a take for them & he's pretty high on UF as well but he may not be a take for them either. Tenn & Va Tech are on him too. If Auburn doesn't get McKinstry (who they lead for) I wouldn't be shocked if they doubled back & went after Markevious.

If we got a verbal from this kid, I highly doubt he would stick, kid is future decommit waiting to happen.

The fact we putting Patke on'em to me is an indactor we don't really want him that bad, which is understandable because he's a game player & his recruitment would be nothing short of a classic South Fla drama filled roller coaster.

I have no issue with us recruiting him, just don't bet the house on him, he's a kid you recruit at arms length, basically you put the ball in his court & tell him if you want in we'll take you, but if you wanna play games we won't waste much time on you.

Omarion Cooper should be the #1 priority at CB IMO, if we can get him that'll be the biggest get at CB we've had in the Diaz era, that kid's upside is special. Go all out for Cooper, throw the kitchen sink at him, just get'em.
Cooper and dawson then close up the cb class. Wish we would have take knowles,burns,cooper,dawson.

Advertisement
We good at corner, the thing about coach rumph, he recruits and coaches just like we play at the crib, we don't give a ***** who we got, we go in knowing we still gone beat the other team no matter who they got. Coach rumph has confidence in himself and whoever is in the db room, that they will get the job done and he instills that same confidence in his players. I can careless about who comes in or who don't, as long as coach rumph is the db coach, we in Great hands over their!

We good at corner, the thing about coach rumph, he recruits and coaches just like we play at the crib, we don't give a ***** who we got, we go in knowing we still gone beat the other team no matter who they got. Coach rumph has confidence in himself and whoever is in the db room, that they will get the job done and he instills that same confidence in his players. I can careless about who comes in or who don't, as long as coach rumph is the db coach, we in Great hands over their!
I haven’t even finished my coffee and I saw this ****...

What?????????????????????????????????????

Advertisement
Who in the flying fck are we beating?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back