4-star CB Fegans commits to UM, talks decision

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Earlier today, 2022 Thompson (AL) 4-star CB Trequon Fegans chose the Miami Hurricanes at Black Market Miami in downtown with a large gathering of family and friends watching on. Making his announcement in front of a backdrop that featured the Orange Bowl, Fegans put on the UM hat over Alabama and South Carolina just after 2 PM, and later spoke about what this day meant to him.

“I feel good, I feel great. I’m speechless,” Fegans said of his commitment to UM.

Today’s pledge ends a long recruitment for the 6'2" 180-pound prospect, who was offered by the Hurricanes back in January and made multiple visits to Coral Gables in the process. Still, throughout the past 6 months, Fegans says he didn’t fully know he would pick Miami until recently.

“About 2 and a half weeks ago I knew this is where I wanted to be,” Fegans said of the Canes. “I had to look at depth charts, I had to make my mind up fast, but once I got that locked and loaded, that’s when I knew.”

Considered a national top 100 overall recruit by the 247Sports Composite and living in the heart of SEC country, many felt Fegans would stay closer to home at Alabama or Auburn in the early going of his process, but ultimately, Fegans felt leaving the area was the right path for him.

“I’m my own person,” Fegans said. “I’m from Bama and there’s still love for Bama, but it’s time to separate.”

With a large group of competitors all vying for Fegans’ pledge, the Hurricanes’ staff, including DB coaches Travaris Robinson and DeMarcus Van Dyke, slowly chipped away at the Thompson star and got him used to the idea of leaving home, seemingly fully turning the tide back on his official visit weekend of June 4th. Fegans felt he built a strong bond with the UM staff, and Van Dyke was actually the first person to call Fegans after his commitment announcement went live. Shortly following today’s ceremony, Fegans is expected to head down to UM’s campus to take a visit and celebrate with coaches.

“[I’m close with] coach T-Rob, coach DVD, and I grew closer to the head coach, coach (Manny) Diaz on the official visit. I was trying to do [my official visit] before the season since I knew I was going to be committing before the season. [The official] helped a whole lot.”

In addition to selling Fegans on Miami, it seems the UM staff did well in convincing his family to embrace the South Florida area as well, with the entire group putting on Miami gear after Fegans made the announcement and posing for pictures throwing up “The U”.

“The fam loves it down here," Fegans said.

Along with the many family members in attendance (including Miami offeree 2025 S Anquon Fegans), close friend and teammate 2023 5-star CB Tony Mitchell also made the trip to South Florida to visit Miami and take part in Fegans’ commitment ceremony. Mitchell, who already sports a Miami offer, visited the UM campus earlier in the day for the first time, and Fegans said he would love to convince his teammate to join him at UM for the next level.

“I’m pushing to get him,” Fegans said of Mitchell. “That’s like the only DB that I talk to.”

Fegans now becomes the third corner commitment for UM this cycle, and he mentioned that he stays in frequent communication with his fellow corner classmates.

"I have a good relationship with Khamauri (Rogers) and Chris (Graves)," Fegans said.

With recruiting finally behind him, Fegans said he is looking forward to having the best senior season possible at Thompson this fall before enrolling early at UM in time for spring ball.

“I’m focusing on football right now, I got all the other stuff out of the way,” Fegans said. “Focus on this season, get through this season, then in January I will be attending college.”

In addition to playing cornerback for the Hurricanes, Fegans also mentioned he expects to get a shot at punt and kick returner as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
" im my own person," Fegans said. " Im from Bama and there's still love for Bama, but it's time to separate."
revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Hadn’t watched the kids film. He’s a stud for sure. Effortlessly pulls away from guys. Actually has really great vision with the ball in his hands. Excited to see this kid jump on board.

Advertisement
This kids gonna factor into our corner rotation day 1. Big get. LFG 🙌
Yeah I was gonna say...he said he's looking at depth charts and some may take that as a negative but in his position I'd be doing the same. If spots are open he's good enough and physically mature enough to win a job right away so why wait behind less talented upperclassmen?

Yeah I was gonna say...he said he's looking at depth charts and some may take that as a negative but in his position I'd be doing the same. If spots are open he's good enough and physically mature enough to win a job right away so why wait behind less talented upperclassmen?
Yea this is rumphs get
He left the cupboard so bare
Kid couldn’t believe what he saw

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back