4-star Auburn DE commit Boykin lands UM offer, plans to visit campus

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With plenty of early offers to his name already, 2020 4-star DE Andy Boykin added one more last month when the Miami Hurricanes extended him a scholarship.

“It’s been going good, it’s picked up a little bit lately,” Boykin said on his recruiting process. “I’ve gotten new offers from of course Miami and Alabama offered recently. My coach, he told me that Miami loved me, loved my game and everything, and wanted to offer me. I mean, I was excited because of the history of Miami. I told my dad like right after and he was excited too.”

A hurdle for pursuers to overcome? Boykin has been committed to Auburn since November of last year, and while he’s open to listening to other suiters and taking visits, he says the Tigers will be difficult to top.

“I’m still solid with them,” Boykin said. “Things are going great, it’s how it was when I first committed. I told the coaches at Auburn there’s a lot of time until I sign, a year and a half, so I feel like I want to give somebody else a chance to change my mind. But right now, I feel like they’re going to be very hard to beat.”

Still, new Miami D-Line coach Jess Simpson has identified Boykin, who lists himself at 6'4" 256, as part of his concerted effort to move UM’s recruiting footprint into Georgia, and Simpson is in touch with the Troup County High product at least once a week.

“Yes, I talk to him,” Boykin says of Simpson. “He tells me to call him and I end up talking to him at least once a week. We talk on the phone and it’s been going great.”

It’s the weather in Miami as well as the atmosphere surrounding the program that has Boykin intrigued by his new offer.

“It’s the type of environment I like. Where I'm from, it can get really cold or really hot, so I like that the temperature stays more consistent down there,” Boykin said on Miami. “I like the atmosphere too, I’ve heard about Miami games, how crazy it can get when rivals come, and just how the fans love the team. And the coaches, of course, coach Mark Richt, my friend knows him and tells me he’s a great guy, so I can’t wait to get down there in the summer and meet him.”

The first step to proving his UM interest is legitimate would be to show up on campus, and Boykin plans on doing that multiple times in the near future. He’ll be taking all his officials before coming to any final decision and the Canes are in line for one of those as of now.

“Probably this month or next month I’ll come camp at Miami. I’ll probably be at Paradise. I’m going to take all five of my official visits, and Miami will be one as of right now,” Boykin said. “I’ll take my officials during the summer of my senior year, so I can clear my mind and not have to worry about school at the time and focus on recruiting. I’m going to sign in the early signing period of the 2020 class, that December. So when that happens, that will be my final decision.”

And when it comes time to sign with his school of choice, Boykin knows exactly what he’ll be looking for in his future home. An environment with a family-feel and a chance to see the field as a freshman will be big factors when it comes to landing Boykin’s signature.

“It’s a few things. One of them is early playing time, if can I come in right away and contribute to the team,” Boykin said. “I’d like the culture to be family-oriented, I’ve lived with my parents my whole life and I don’t want them to feel uncomfortable with me leaving for college. They have to hand me over to a college and another person basically and feel comfortable with it. So, a very family-oriented college, but they’re still all about their victories.”

Boykin had a standout season at Troup County last year, but the team fell short in their pursuit of a state title. He says he’s been working hard, along with the rest of the team, to ensure that won’t happen again in 2018.

“I know I had 8 or 10 sacks [last year],” Boykin said. “We did good, went 9-3. We got put out of the playoffs by a team we shouldn’t have got put out by. We made it out and watched film the day after, and we’re still watching that film, to make sure we don’t make the same mental mistakes.”

Advertisement
Love it! Hope he does make it to Paradise and balls out. I hope Richt and staff bring in a truckload of No FLA and Ga kids (or at least a van full!) to our camps and punches FSU and the SEC schools hard in the mouth on recruiting.

Boykin/Cash/Wooden/Egiobe (if still on him, not sure, 1st offer of this group) as GA DE w offer after we went to the wire with Harris. Would love to get one...I think Egiobe has the highest upside of group but may end up inside.

Advertisement
The Richt/Simpson GA connection will start bearing fruit sooner than later.
It already has - see DeeJay Dallas, Marquez Ezzard, Realus George. But I get your point with the addition of Simpson. Hopefully we can pull a few GA big uglies.

Advertisement
He shrunk an inch and gained nine pounds between the interview and Twitter post.

I like how he talked about going somewhere that his parents felt comfortable with as it shows maturity. It's said a lot by people, nut he really does sound like a good kid.

Advertisement
Back