4 more days for a Portal WR. Tell me the good news.

Advertisement
Miamis WR talent as a group has been weak overall for over a decade but that doesn’t apply to this group. Romello, Brashard, George, X, and Keyshawn all have enough talent to be impact players when their number is called.
A bunch of guys that haven't done much of anything yet.

I acknowledge the talent...I actually like a lot of these guys, but WR is a results business, just like RB. You are either a DUDE, DUDE Adjacent, or just a guy...right now, these are just guys...I want to think at least one of them can breakout and be a 20%+ marketshare guy...but we'll see...but some of these boys are going into Year 3 in the program and outside of a splash play here n there we haven't seen much yet. For the Year 3 guys, they are scratchoff lotto tickets at this point. You hope they breakout and get to that 20% marketshare...but they are sub-15% players so far...they have produced at level basically anyone can. The talent is there to be more, but we need to see it consistently. Unfortunately, nothing that can't be supplanted early on by a game transfer that wants to be an alpha.

If Romelllo and Brashard are really DUDES like we think they all can be...this is the year. A player like George getting 26ypc as a true freshman has him more on my possible breakout candidates than anyone else on the roster...but we'll see.

Either way, I'm pretty confident in saying that we really need an alpha WR from the portal.

Robinson is in town. Let’s enjoy our shot.

I stopped paying attention to this thread….

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Advertisement
A bunch of guys that haven't done much of anything yet.

I acknowledge the talent...I actually like a lot of these guys, but WR is a results business, just like RB. You are either a DUDE, DUDE Adjacent, or just a guy...right now, these are just guys...I want to think at least one of them can breakout and be a 20%+ marketshare guy...but we'll see...but some of these boys are going into Year 3 in the program and outside of a splash play here n there we haven't seen much yet. For the Year 3 guys, they are scratchoff lotto tickets at this point. You hope they breakout and get to that 20% marketshare...but they are sub-15% players so far...they have produced at level basically anyone can. The talent is there to be more, but we need to see it consistently. Unfortunately, nothing that can't be supplanted early on by a game transfer that wants to be an alpha.

If Romelllo and Brashard are really DUDES like we think they all can be...this is the year. A player like George getting 26ypc as a true freshman has him more on my possible breakout candidates than anyone else on the roster...but we'll see.

Either way, I'm pretty confident in saying that we really need an alpha WR from the portal.
LSU 2018-19.

Advertisement
Nah man...they had Justin Jefferson who was an age 19 breakout...thats a legit returning player before we know what he'd become.

We don't return anyone like that (no returning receiver has had over a 15% marketshare). Unproven guys. Maybe they get it together and take a collective leap. I'd try to go get a guy, tho.
Yeah, and who won the Bielitnikoff?

Justin or Chase?

And BOTH went way off compared to their previous year. Point is, this is a potential business’s yeah stack chips, I’m with that, but college football is innocent until proven guilty.

Same way they’re isn’t a proven number one, no one has proven to be a failure either.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wonder if WRs are a bit hesitant to play in a Mario Cristobal offense that's well known to be a bit RB friendly?
It is a Gattis offense that generally scripts the plays based on personnel available and their strengths. They are looking for a legit WR for a very good reason ... they have an NFL caliber QB and want to run a balanced and efficient offense being a threat to score in the air AND on the ground.

I wonder if WRs are a bit hesitant to play in a Mario Cristobal offense that's well known to be a bit RB friendly?
Understandable looking at his last two years in Oregon, but also the last two years only take into account the tail end of his pattern as a coach.

If you look at his entire track record, he just leans on the strengths of his team.

At FIU, they were balanced, display multiple years with 1000 receivers (mostly TY Hilton) or rushers. The alternation is him sticking to what works best in any given situation.

At Oregon, again, when he had Herbert, they were more comfortable passing and had recievers with 800+, 1000 yards.
Showing his preference for balance, he always had a 1000 yard rusher.
He also prefers to pass with non freshman passers, which is why I think he will keep the QB room stocked, so the next man up is ready and not green.

So if his track record says anything, he wants balanced versatile offenses, and if you aren't a strength for the team, you're riding pine.

It's a valid question and we already know Bmac and I'm sure many others are recruiting against him with this angle.

I'm not aware off the top of my head but what WRs have developed well under Mario as a head coach?

Looks like he has 3 highly rated guys commit to Oregon in the '19 class and none have amounted to anything yet (after 3 seasons).

Advertisement
Back