4 more days for a Portal WR. Tell me the good news.

Advertisement
It’s Groundhog Day on here for a lot of posters. same rhetoric being thrown around in 2019 off-season about our receiver group. We all know how that turned out….

We have a potential day one QB… bring in as many weapons as we can. This kid makes our room a lot better the second he steps on campus
Quality depth. A guy that HAS DONE IT to the tune of having a 1000 yard receiving season under his belt. Long season, UM needs quality depth at every position. Put Robinson on the field with another speedster, then add 2 TE's and a RB that can also catch the ball, puts a lot of pressure on the opposing defense. Take ONE speedster off the field ... another one takes his place. You need playmakers ... as many as you can get.

Advertisement
Harley was a beast… you don’t break the all time receptions record with marginal hands at best.
...are you just looking at ESPN stats or did you watch him against any competent coverages? Because the eyes will tell you he was a mediocre P5 WR, and the lack of draft buzz only emphasized that. He wasn't fast, he had average hands, couldn't get open consistently, and benefitted greatly from being one of the very few competent WRs in 2020. If he was an all-timer, how did he regress his 5th year with a better throwing QB in the latter half of the season? Rambo got all the targets because he was the only one that could get open. But yes, he's one of our all-time greats because he was here for half a decade.

Edit: Lol I'll play the numbers game now. In 2021, Harley (good bless him as I wish all Canes success) eclipsed north of 50 yards just TWICE in the first ten games of the regular season (51 vs. Sparty, 53. vs Pitt). Finished the season with with 65 against VT and 96 vs. Duke (13 receptions as he was being force-fed vs. a D3 team for the RECORDZZZ).

It might hurt some of you, but he was a glorified safety option used to get 6-7 yd gains. Couldn't be consistently relied on for anything else.

Last edited:
Updating the pic i porsted in the Addison thread really quick to be more up to date
20220510_121153.png

...are you just looking at ESPN stats or did you watch him against any competent coverages? Because the eyes will tell you he was a mediocre P5 WR, and the lack of draft buzz only emphasized that. He wasn't fast, he had average hands, couldn't get open consistently, and benefitted greatly from being one of the very few competent WRs in 2020. If he was an all-timer, how did he regress his 5th year with a better throwing QB in the latter half of the season? Rambo got all the targets because he was the only one that could get open. But yes, he's one of our all-time greats because he was here for half a decade.

Edit: Lol I'll play the numbers game now. In 2021, Harley (good bless him as I wish all Canes success) eclipsed north of 50 yards just TWICE in the first ten games of the regular season (51 vs. Sparty, 53. vs Pitt). Finished the season with with 65 against VT and 96 vs. Duke (13 receptions as he was being force-fed vs. a D3 team for the RECORDZZZ).

It might hurt some of you, but he was a glorified safety option used to get 6-7 yd gains. Couldn't be consistently relied on for anything else.

Lol hilarious how y’all try to downplay Mike Harleys UM career bc of how he performed his first two years. His 3rd year at Miami was just as impactful as KJ Osborns grad transfer year at UM but y’all hype his like he was Santana Moss.

Mike worked on his drops, his focus, routes and everything else that it takes to improve each year making the biggest leaps his last two seasons. So I don’t remember him as a mediocre unreliable WR that dropped balls all the time… I remember him as a playmaker that King and TVD trusted to make big plays score TDs and move the chains when the offense was under pressure to do so.

hilarious how y’all try to downplay Mike Harleys UM career bc of how he performed the first two years?? His 3rd year at Miami was just as impactful as KJ Osborns grad transfer year here but y’all dck ride it like he was Santana Moss. He worked on his drops, his focus, routes and everything else that it takes to improve each year making the biggest leaps his last two seasons. So I don’t remember him as a WR that dropped balls all the time I remember him as a playmaker that QBs trusted to make big plays score TDs and move the chains when the offense was under pressure to do so.
You're completely dodging both my previous post, and the numbers, friend. When did I mention his first two seasons? Or his 3rd? KJ is not one of the greatest WRs in this program's history, so that's not the bar you were alluding to. If he was so good, why did we seek out a #1 WR every off-season he was here? Why couldn't he at least match his 2020 numbers with TVD chucking it for over 300 every game?

Still waiting on a competent reply with some actual analysis. I'll get the snacks ready in the meantime.

Happy Food GIF by Regal

Advertisement
Harley has good speed and improved his hands over time. He had a solid career by the end of it.

His lack of agility is what held him back though. A receiver his size has to be able to make guys miss with quickness. That was never Harley’s game.

He was King’s go to guy but when Rambo stepped up, he took most of the targets because he was usually the first read. If Rambo didn’t get the target we spread it around pretty evenly.

Our current receivers have the athletic gifts….you don’t get 4 stars for nothing….but if you can’t catch the ball in traffic with consistency then all that talent is wasted and it hurts the team.

What I saw during the spring game from the WRs was terrible and if they play that way during the season we WILL lose games because of it.

So if you have the opportunity to bring in a transfer with sure hands then do it. There needs to be more focus in that room and bringing in competition is the way to do it. Drop the ball, lose your spot. Easy.

Advertisement
Harley was stiff, small and had unreliable hands.

He was also one of the hardest workers on the team and ran great routes.

Jaylon is clearly better.

Idk why KJ is in the discussion. Actually idk why Harley is either as he isn't even on the team anymore.

Wtf are you guys arguing about? Lol
I was simply replying to a post from Kocaine Kane claiming Harley was "a beast"

Advertisement
Lol hilarious how y’all try to downplay Mike Harleys UM career bc of how he performed his first two years. His 3rd year at Miami was just as impactful as KJ Osborns grad transfer year at UM but y’all hype his like he was Santana Moss.

Mike worked on his drops, his focus, routes and everything else that it takes to improve each year making the biggest leaps his last two seasons. So I don’t remember him as a mediocre unreliable WR that dropped balls all the time… I remember him as a playmaker that King and TVD trusted to make big plays score TDs and move the chains when the offense was under pressure to do so.
Portal WRs Osborn and Rambo snatched tha life out Harley reps

Our current receivers have the athletic gifts….you don’t get 4 stars for nothing….but if you can’t catch the ball in traffic with consistency then all that talent is wasted and it hurts the team.

What I saw during the spring game from the WRs was terrible and if they play that way during the season we WILL lose games because of it.

So if you have the opportunity to bring in a transfer with sure hands then do it. There needs to be more focus in that room and bringing in competition is the way to do it. Drop the ball, lose your spot. Easy.

Facts. I loved all our commits. Felt Bradhard and Melo in particular would be dominant in the ACC. But you can’t make plays without catching the **** ball.

Moreover, again, we need speed. We need a legit 4.4 kid. I thought Brashard was that but apparently he’s not quite as fast as I believed.

Facts. I loved all our commits. Felt Bradhard and Melo in particular would be dominant in the ACC. But you can’t make plays without catching the **** ball.

Moreover, again, we need speed. We need a legit 4.4 kid. I thought Brashard was that but apparently he’s not quite as fast as I believed.

Yes. Drops have been an issue for too long. Part of that is needing to get rid of the Manny culture. Let it be known that we’re competing and if you’re not getting it done, someone else will. That’s why you bring a transfer.

Part of it is recruiting also. Find me receivers with giant michael jordan paddle hands and pterodactyl arms. And 40 time doesn’t mean **** to me. The athletic ability I look for in a WR is body control. Like can you contort yourself in weird positions and still make an athletic play…for example keeping both feet in bounds on a sideline catch, or twisting your body back to grab a ball thrown behind you. Those skills. That plus toughness. Willingness to mix it up with a corner or safety, to attack the ball in the air, to lay out to make a play.

Jerry Rice never dropped a pass, even in practice. You are how you practice. So what I saw from Spring was enough for me to say this group needs portal help and needs to recruit better moving forward

Yes. Drops have been an issue for too long. Part of that is needing to get rid of the Manny culture. Let it be known that we’re competing and if you’re not getting it done, someone else will. That’s why you bring a transfer.

Part of it is recruiting also. Find me receivers with giant michael jordan paddle hands and pterodactyl arms. And 40 time doesn’t mean **** to me. The athletic ability I look for in a WR is body control. Like can you contort yourself in weird positions and still make an athletic play…for example keeping both feet in bounds on a sideline catch, or twisting your body back to grab a ball thrown behind you. Those skills. That plus toughness. Willingness to mix it up with a corner or safety, to attack the ball in the air, to lay out to make a play.

Jerry Rice never dropped a pass, even in practice. You are how you practice. So what I saw from Spring was enough for me to say this group needs portal help and needs to recruit better moving forward
I generally agree with all your points here, but two things:
1. Speed is and will always be a highly coveted trait, albeit hands & route running are more important.
2. Jerry Rice actually had major issues his rookie year with dropped passes. His work ethic to improve is how he overcame that and we need more kids with that high level of drive.

Advertisement
Back