4 more days for a Portal WR. Tell me the good news.

Usc all the way man lol. Please don't fall for anything else. It's been a done deal.
Mrw GIF

Advertisement
For the lawyers,
Does this mean that some of these collectives aren’t real nil’s while ours really is?
So maybe some kids might not see one penny? 👀

I think that is what John is saying.

CLEARLY the 501(c) angle is highly questionable. A number of us on the board have discussed this already.

The "collective" would also be highly questionable, as each and every one is "staffed" by alums and former athletes, etc. Kinda the definition of booster.

Where John has a VERY interesting point is this (and he may still need to adjust some of his behavior, but so be it).

LifeWallet is a company, soon to be a publicly-traded company. The fact that a UM alum owns/directs it should not be the crucial factor. For instance, when Dr. Pepper gives DJ Ugly, the Clemson QB, an NIL deal, do we delve into whether the founder of Dr. Pepper went to Clemson? Or how many current Dr. Pepper execs went to Clemson? Or whether Dr. Pepper is the official soft drink of Clemson?

No. We all say "Hey, those fine folks at Clemson are just paying an UNPROVEN quarterback to sell their soda, there cannot possibly be any questionable intent that we can attack under the "booster" rules of the NCAA. APPROVED."

And John Ruiz is saying "treat me the same way". And he's not wrong.

Where I think John Ruiz may need to alter his behavior is to not host these NIL meetings himself. Don't tweet about them. Don't announce the numbers. Don't take pictures. Let OTHER people at LifeWallet contact the athletes, negotiate the deals, and arrange all of the employment paperwork.

If we can manage that, LifeWallet should be bulletproof.

But nearly every publicly-traded company in America is FILLED with college graduates, and most of those fall under the "booster" definition. So we just need to let companies do what companies do, and not allow things to look like "hey, 7 or 8 alums got together and formed this Collective and we are all doing this on our lunch breaks".

Advertisement
I think that is what John is saying.

CLEARLY the 501(c) angle is highly questionable. A number of us on the board have discussed this already.

The "collective" would also be highly questionable, as each and every one is "staffed" by alums and former athletes, etc. Kinda the definition of booster.

Where John has a VERY interesting point is this (and he may still need to adjust some of his behavior, but so be it).

LifeWallet is a company, soon to be a publicly-traded company. The fact that a UM alum owns/directs it should not be the crucial factor. For instance, when Dr. Pepper gives DJ Ugly, the Clemson QB, an NIL deal, do we delve into whether the founder of Dr. Pepper went to Clemson? Or how many current Dr. Pepper execs went to Clemson? Or whether Dr. Pepper is the official soft drink of Clemson?

No. We all say "Hey, those fine folks at Clemson are just paying an UNPROVEN quarterback to sell their soda, there cannot possibly be any questionable intent that we can attack under the "booster" rules of the NCAA. APPROVED."

And John Ruiz is saying "treat me the same way". And he's not wrong.

Where I think John Ruiz may need to alter his behavior is to not host these NIL meetings himself. Don't tweet about them. Don't announce the numbers. Don't take pictures. Let OTHER people at LifeWallet contact the athletes, negotiate the deals, and arrange all of the employment paperwork.

If we can manage that, LifeWallet should be bulletproof.

But nearly every publicly-traded company in America is FILLED with college graduates, and most of those fall under the "booster" definition. So we just need to let companies do what companies do, and not allow things to look like "hey, 7 or 8 alums got together and formed this Collective and we are all doing this on our lunch breaks".
This to me is really the point. A collective or a charity giving you money is not a person profiting from name image and likeness. How is their nil being used to promote the charity or the collective? How is a charity benefiting from giving a 300 lb dt 300k?
Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I definitely believe we have just as much to offer if not more.... But I also believe usc might've just beaten us to the punch here and locked him in before any other school even made a move. It happens.

One thing to consider is the tampering allegations. Extremely hard to prove, I know. But if Addison gets the sense that if he chooses USC, the NCAA is going to be all up in his business all season because of the tampering rumors (and worst case, "Reggie Bush" him if they find hard evidence), maybe his agent will recommend looking to another lucrative NIL deal somewhere else. EVERYONE knows USC contacted Addison before he was in the portal and brokered a deal. If someone was sloppy, USC isn't getting the same treatment by the NCAA that Bama does. Emmert isn't going to run interference for the Trojans.

We will go after him. I dont know if we land him but I am telling you that Miami has thrown their hat in the ring.

And that is all any of us can ask for. Thank you sir.

And thank you Mr Ruiz. May your SPAC and Life Wallet grow to the sky! If I am missing any other major Canes NIL playmakers, thank you all, as well.

Advertisement
I told y’all that Nil deal I saw from a big sec Nil school was like reading a 2004 cell contract. The kids just see 150,000 k a year.

I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop - NFL Players pushing the NFLPA to the table for the next contract and looking to reduce the rookie salary scale since some of these kids are making as much, if not more, than proven NFL veterans.

I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop - NFL Players pushing the NFLPA to the table for the next contract and looking to reduce the rookie salary scale since some of these kids are making as much, if not more, than proven NFL veterans.

You make an excellent point. The NFL should help determine NIL market rates in college.

I just wonder if personal prestige will trump everything at the end of the day, and college athletes start getting more than the vast majority of them will earn in the pros. That Bama, Taint or A&M booster doesn't really care about his ROI. He just wants a trophy.

Advertisement
One thing to consider is the tampering allegations. Extremely hard to prove, I know. But if Addison gets the sense that if he chooses USC, the NCAA is going to be all up in his business all season because of the tampering rumors (and worst case, "Reggie Bush" him if they find hard evidence), maybe his agent will recommend looking to another lucrative NIL deal somewhere else. EVERYONE knows USC contacted Addison before he was in the portal and brokered a deal. If someone was sloppy, USC isn't getting the same treatment by the NCAA that Bama does. Emmert isn't going to run interference for the Trojans.
Hence the story of reuniting "old friends" Caleb Williams and Jordan Addison. You know, Jordan confided in his friend he was concerned about his final season, ..... Caleb encouraged him to "go on out to Cali" to play with him... just two buddies talking... All the NIL stuff is just gravy..

Advertisement
Back