4-3 defense. Should we go sprinkle it in some more?

MikeyMo

Recruit
Obviously 2 lbs is not working. The 15 yard hole behind our dline is obvious. Should we sprinkle in some more 4-3? Add another big body in there? Brooks, Flagg, Huff. Let Huff run around a bit in the WLB role. You can let Carter play there too.

Advertisement
With the amount of passing in college football, would you rather have a third LB out there or #3 (or #4)?

Advertisement
On passing downs we ran dime packages consistently with Brooks on the field. There were quite a few times we had 7 DBs on the field. I think dime with Brooks is the way to go. On 3rd and greater than 10 the 7 DBs looked great. A lot of athleticism on the field.

Linebacker is probably our weakest position. Let’s put another one out there. Especially after holding Pitt to 19 yards rushing.
It was good to see that much rotation in the LB squad.

Advertisement
We have good LBs, we just give the wrong ones way too much PT.
I’ll have to see actual good linebacker play before I can call any of those guys good. Flagg has looked solid the last two games though. Still I don’t think there‘a ANY linebacker on the roster who should be taking snaps from Frierson. That’s what would happen if they went back to a 4-3

Obviously 2 lbs is not working. The 15 yard hole behind our dline is obvious. Should we sprinkle in some more 4-3? Add another big body in there? Brooks, Flagg, Huff. Let Huff run around a bit in the WLB role. You can let Carter play there too.

You do realize that defense don't actually run a 43 or 42 or whatever people call it, it's either a 40 front or 30 front or Even/odd.
The defense just adjusts to whatever the offense throws at it.

4-3 base defense isn't a thing anymore, it's 4 down linemen, look at Bama, Clemson etc, it's how it goes. Go to any football X's and O's site and read up on defensive front, i'ts cool stuff.
If you watched CFL at all, the stuff that you see happened now has been happening where I am for easily 15 years or more. When I played college ball up here our "Striker" was just called a Nickel, and you'll see that our striker do the same technique, when he hangs at 6 yards off the LOS sniffing the box on the strongside, that happened when I was playing in 2006 in Canadian Universities.

Advertisement
It does us absolutely NO GOOD to remove one of our best players (Frierson) to put another LB out there...who's just going to be playing outside of the box anyway!

Our Striker is what's called an "apex player"...often aligning between the Offensive Tackle and the slot WR. (outside of the box, but close enough to help in the running game)
He also has to carry Wide Receivers vertical up the seam.
This type of position requires a hybrid LB/DB type of athlete. You put a traditional LB out there and we're getting smoked.

Advertisement
It does us absolutely NO GOOD to remove one of our best players (Frierson) to put another LB out there...who's just going to be playing outside of the box anyway!

Our Striker is what's called an "apex player"...often aligning between the Offensive Tackle and the slot WR. (outside of the box, but close enough to help in the running game)
He also has to carry Wide Receivers vertical up the seam.
This type of position requires a hybrid LB/DB type of athlete. You put a traditional LB out there and we're getting smoked.
This guy! He knows! Basically carries the seams and doesn’t let it stuff go over the middle and positioned to help in the run game. Talking my language

“Pro style, bro!” Was the phrase for canes fans for years.

”4-3 bro!” Has the same kinda backward thinking to it.

I will say I still like the original Miami D a lot, but I think a 4-2-5 cover 1 defense is probably the one we should play over anything else. Simple, great against the run and pass, can run cover 3 off it, and use two man for third and long.

Advertisement
Back