4/11/24 Game 34: FSU 16-17 L

Advertisement
How do you hire a long time minor league base running and outfield coach who gets promoted to big league infield coordinator, and get worse running the bases and defensively?

How do you hire a long time minor league base running and outfield coach who gets promoted to big league infield coordinator, and get worse running the bases and defensively?
Good question! Every game we have someone get thrown out on the bases. In this case Urso slid short of 2nd.
Defensively at SS is just horrible. Routine plays cost us games.....
Gave up 5 hits and lost.... totally unacceptable.

When you compare the body types on our roster vs FSU and UF it truly is embarrassing.
It's like we just go for local kids with production. JD needs to get with Mario and start recruiting athletes.

We only have 1-2 guys that can run. Shortstop is embarrassing. The drop off in range from Pitelli is polar opposites. Limted range, limited bat, and error prone.

I feel like the recruiting is similar to what Manny did in football. A few studs, but the team as a whole doesn't wow you.

I think there is talent on this team. We'll need a replacement for Long (which was a crime he wasn't a starter last year and all if this year), another OF to push Villegas, and new Shortstop that can field, run, and hit. We also need either a stud catcher from high school that turns down the MLB draft or get a highly productive veteran from the portal who can hit.

Pitching is an area that needs overhauled. I hope JD let's Laz recruit the pitchers. I don't know much about Laz, but JD hasn't gotten it done consistently. We've had some good arms, but not enough of them.

They need a system of stacking and developing talent into high MLB draft porspects. This way you can recruit high level pitching consistently where young studs are relievers then become starters.

With NIL JD needs to go portal shopping for top end proven players at CF (Long graduating) , a stud veteran SS, and at least 3 pitchers. Couple that with a good high school recruiting class and this team could be a contender next year.

I'm being optimistic. We have a good team with a lot of young players. The lost 4 straight ACC games by 1 run to ranked teams. With just better defense, a little better offense, and better relief pitching, we win 3 of 4 of those games.

This year sucks. Next year will be much better. I don't know if JD can be that guy. I have NOT been impressed with his overall pitching staff through the years. He needs to recruit pitching like Sullivan at UF. Top pitching talent year in and year out.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think NIL will mask some of JD's shortcomings. We'll get back to having teams host regionls, but I don't know if he'll develop a program where you can book your hotel room for Omaha every year. That's the coach I want.

I like to use football as a comparison. I can see the vision Mario has. Miami is going to be a national contender year in and year out begining this season. That's why he went and got Cam Ward. This is going to be a splash year that puts the football team over the top. Mario had back to back top 10 recruiting classes for the first time in 2 decades. Having a 10+ win season is going to springboard the program into top 5 or even top 3 in recruiting every year.

JD needs, to follow Mario’s plan, but he has to have a vision and philosophy for his program. One that is at a championship level. My understanding is he has NIL support, but will he have the vision of Mario or just be happy to have the job like Manny.

Last edited:
It's like we just go for local kids with production. JD needs to get with Mario and start recruiting athletes.

We only have 1-2 guys that can run. Shortstop is embarrassing. The drop off in range from Pitelli is polar opposites. Limted range, limited bat, and error prone,

I feel like the recruiting is similar to what Manny did in football. A few studs, but the team as a while doesn't wow you.

I think there is talent on this team. We'll need a replacement for Long (which was a crime he wasn't a starter last year and all if this year), another OF to push Villegas, and new Shortstop that can field, run, and hit.

Pitching is an area that needs overhauled. I hope JD let's Lazrecruit the pitchers. I don't know much about Laz, but JD hasn't gotten it done consistently. We've had some good arms. But not enough of them.

They need a system of stacking and developing talent into high MLB draft porspects. This way you can recruit high level pitching consistently where young studs are relievers then become starters.

With NIL JD needs to go portal shopping for top end proven players at CF (Long graduating) , a stud veteran SS, and at least 3 pitchers. Couple that with a good high school recruiting class and this team could be a contender next year.

I'm being optimistic. We have a good team with a lot of young players. The lost 4 straight ACC games by 1 run to ranked teams. With just better defense, a little better offense, and better relief pitching, we win 3 of 4 of those games.

This year sucks. Next year will be much better. I don't know if JD can be that guy. I have NOT been impressed with his overall pitching staff through the years. He needs to recruit pitching like Sullivan at UF. Top pitching talent year in and year out.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think NIL will mask some of JD's shortcomings. We'll get back to having teams host regionls, but I don't know if he'll develop a program where you can book your hotel room for Onaha every year. That's the coach I want.

I like to use football as a comparison. I can see the vision Mario has. Miami is going to be a national contender year in and year out begging this season. That's why he went and got Cam Ward. This is going to be a splash year that puts the football team over the top. Mario had back to back top 10 recruiting classes for the first time in 2 decades. Having a 10+ win season is going to springboard the program into top 5 or even top 3 in recruiting every year.

JD needs, to follow Mario’s plan, but he has to have a vision and philosophy for his program. One that is at a championship level. My understanding is he has NIL support, but will he ha e the vision if Mario or just be happy to have the job like Manny.
Nice write up, but don't overlook Catcher.
Why Perez is on the lineup card? He has no business playing in any ACC games.
We need a stud catcher who can hit in the middle of the lineup.

Advertisement
Assume we will lose, Get updates on twiiter, games easier to deal with when you dont follow closely.
That is honestly what I do whether we've been on a 6 game winning streak or a 6 game losing streak. The only difference being I don't assume we're gonna lose if we've been on a fairly long winning streak.

Nice write up, but don't overlook Catcher.
Why Perez is on the lineup card? He has no business playing in any ACC games.
We need a stud catcher who can hit in the middle of the lineup.
Right, I did forget catcher. We've had some really good ones. I don't know if they have a young catcher in the pipeline. I think not.

Fixed.

The only silver lining is the fact that the last time we ended the season with a losing record in conference play, the next year we won the division and the next couple years after that we won the division. 5 of the 6 conference losses in a row have been one run that is insane.

The reason we are not good on the base paths is because we don’t have the athletes to do some of the things we try to do mixed with low baseball IQ’s. But i do think Fenster and the development guys will improve that in year 2. I know some big program that the first 2-3 weeks of fall ball they treat the teams like 10 year old little leaguers and make sure they truly know the game. Down to even how they play catch during warm ups.

Like others have said we don’t even look the partin most cases. Not saying you need a roster full of 6’4 215lb hulks. But stop with the “baseball players come in all sizes”…yeah that’s true and every so often youll find some gems. But if you are 5’9 185 you better mash or fly or do both. And this is coming from a guy who isn’t much bigger than that so I always was looking out for the undersized scrappy nut jobs.

Advertisement
We haven’t gone sub .500 since before Ron Frazier…that’s 50 years.

IMG_4370.jpeg

We asked DiMare to step down because we had higher standards as a program.

If Arteaga doesn’t finish above .500 this season, he needs to be fired. End of discussion, or we’re not a serious program anymore.

Advertisement
Team is undisciplined af. Can get away w/ that when playing lower level comp, but not when facing solid teams.

We’ve been shooting ourselves in the foot since The Gino error. Either we’ll have solid bats & poor pitching, solid pitching & poor bats, or solid pitching, solid bats, but poor fielding.

Very rare have I seen complete games against good teams in quite some time.
“but ThEy’Re Um GuYs, BrO. tHeY uNdErStAnD the CuLtURe.”

Advertisement
Back