34 years go today: Miami vs Notre Dame, 11/24/1989

Advertisement
I was there. Second loudest game I was ever at. They were handing these out after the game. Its on the wall in my Canes room.

IMG_20231124_202916.jpg

Advertisement
Craziest sporting event I've ever attended. Never in my life have I seen a crowd like that.

This is one of the reasons why UM would be foolish to build a 50K seat stadium for football. 81K in the Orange Bowl that night. And the population of south Florida has more than doubled since then.

if I could go back in time to any sporting event, it would either be this game or Ali-Frazier I

This game was so big that even us students at Montebello High in East LA (a school that is about 90-percent Mexican-American, were talking about that week leading into Thanksgiving). Thats how big that rivalry was in the 80s

BTW, nobody built up their games like CBS in the 80s....

I was there and freshman Jessie Armstead came up to my wife and I in the stands as he was simply ecstatic. It was up there as one of the top three games I've been too.

Advertisement
if I could go back in time to any sporting event, it would either be this game or Ali-Frazier I

This game was so big that even us students at Montebello High in East LA (a school that is about 90-percent Mexican-American, were talking about that week leading into Thanksgiving). Thats how big that rivalry was in the 80s

BTW, nobody built up their games like CBS in the 80s....

Facts!!! That music and the intros they did for every game always got me pumped up

Advertisement
Arguably the greatest home game win in Canes History, other than the two Orang Bowl Nattys.

Advertisement
Back