3 Stars and below from Tri-County who have done well

I always say stars mean ****. I go by our staff's offers Golden puts more emphasis on personal evaluation and not on starts according to Kehoe. I also would take a 3 star from a big time program in SFLA any day.

Advertisement
just ask bama if stars matter

You can also ask Texas and USC about the importance of stars. **** stars eveyone likes 5 stars but I put more emphasis on coaches talent evaluation skill and development as well which Golden clearly has.

Antonio Brown you forgot about him he went to cmu and now is ballin for the steelers... You can add geno smith too

Advertisement
Ryan Moore 5*
Kyle Wright 5*
Lance Leggett 5*
Tyler McMeans 5*
Willie Williams 5*
Reggie Youngblood 5*
Graig Cooper 5*
Marcus Forston 5*
Aravious Armstrong 5*
Latwan Anderson 5*

Advertisement
Pretty much where I would expect 3 stars to be. Some decent role players, a few breakouts who were underrated, and some guys I have never heard of. Staff evaluation always wins out, but recruiting sites do a decent job of projecting how 17 year olds will turn out. There will always be some variability because information is incomplete at that age. Knowing nothing else I always take a 5* over a 4* and a 4* over a 3*.

Not sure I buy that SFla 3*s are better than other recruiting hotbeds like Louisiana, Ohio, California, Georgia, Alabama, etc...

Exactly. Majority of those guys were either 2nd-Honorable Mention All-Conference players/3rd-5th round NFL Draft picks.

Stars do matter no matter anyone says. The kids who have produced the most & shown the most potential are rated the highest. That doesn't mean stars are definitive of talent. Too many kids are late bloomers or never get the right exposure. You can't fix the system so that's why you can't evaluate off of stars or you're doomed to fail. Stars don't account for work ethic, character, & many other factors either.

There is a big problem with your statement. Ofcourse the star system works... It's because the services attach value to the schools that sign players... Case in point, last week we had 2 kids commit that were not rated at all... and suddenly they get 3 stars attached to their name ONLY BECAUSE MIAMI OFFERED. The system is backward. Value is pegged to the Universities, which is pegged to Subscriber base + winning tradition. So a school like USC or Texas, consistently will ALWAYS have 4 and 5 star players because the services figure if Texas or USC likes them, they are a sure thing.

Miami on the other hand, has a small subscriber base and has been in the dumbs lately, so our commits don't get bumped up as much.

You are fooling yourself if you think most of the kids they evaluate they see first hand. They don't... They don't have the manpower to do it.

Better to stick with local recruiting guys like Blustein and Fisch who see these kids day in and day out and know what they are talking about.

The best example of the Star System being a complete crock of **** is Darrell Langham... Probably top 3 WR in the State and they have him as a 2 star... What a joke.
He was a 4 star on ESPN before he committee and got moved to a 4 star on 247 after he committed

Marc Guillon 4*
Akieem Jolla 4*
Curtis Justus 4*
JR Mounts 4*
Alex Pou 4*
Terrell Walden 4*
John Wood 4*
Andrew Bain 4*
Willie Cooper 4*
Tyrone Moss 4*
Rhyan Anderson 4*
James Bryant 4*
Kirby Freeman 4*
Dwayne Hendricks 4*
Andrew Johnson 4*
Charlie Jones 4*
Lovon Ponder 4*
Bobby Washington 4*
Luqman Abdullah 4*
Chris Barney 4*
Dajleon Farr 4*
Richard Gordon 4*
Courtney Harris 4*
Demetri Stewart 4*
Dedrick Epps 4*
Ryan Hill 4*
Josh Holmes 4*
Javarris James 4*
Tervaris Johnson 4*
Kylan Robinson 4*
Bobby Drama 4*
Jermaine McKenzie 4*
Demarcus Van Dyke 4*
Doug Wiggins 4*
Ramon Buchanan 4*
Jordan Futch 4*
CJ Holton 4*
Aldarious Johnson 4*
Davon Johnson 4*
Ben Jones 4*
Jeremy Lewis 4*
Vaughn Telemaque 4*
Dyron Dye 4*
Jermaine Johnson 4*
Jamal Reid 4*
Tavadis Glenn 4*
Storm Johnson 4*
Travis Williams 4*

Marc Guillon 4*
Akieem Jolla 4*
Curtis Justus 4*
JR Mounts 4*
Alex Pou 4*
Terrell Walden 4*
John Wood 4*
Andrew Bain 4*
Willie Cooper 4*
Tyrone Moss 4*
Rhyan Anderson 4*
James Bryant 4*
Kirby Freeman 4*
Dwayne Hendricks 4*
Andrew Johnson 4*
Charlie Jones 4*
Lovon Ponder 4*
Bobby Washington 4*
Luqman Abdullah 4*
Chris Barney 4*
Dajleon Farr 4*
Richard Gordon 4*
Courtney Harris 4*
Demetri Stewart 4*
Dedrick Epps 4*
Ryan Hill 4*
Josh Holmes 4*
Javarris James 4*
Tervaris Johnson 4*
Kylan Robinson 4*
Bobby Drama 4*
Jermaine McKenzie 4*
Demarcus Van Dyke 4*
Doug Wiggins 4*
Ramon Buchanan 4*
Jordan Futch 4*
CJ Holton 4*
Aldarious Johnson 4*
Davon Johnson 4*
Ben Jones 4*
Jeremy Lewis 4*
Vaughn Telemaque 4*
Dyron Dye 4*
Jermaine Johnson 4*
Jamal Reid 4*
Tavadis Glenn 4*
Storm Johnson 4*
Travis Williams 4*

**** you Randy

Advertisement
just ask bama if stars matter

You can also ask Texas and USC about the importance of stars. **** stars eveyone likes 5 stars but I put more emphasis on coaches talent evaluation skill and development as well which Golden clearly has.

Ok lets get rid of duke 5 star yearby 5 star and not recruit cook 5 star. Matter fact lets get rid of Mcord 4 star Perryman 4 star Bush 4 star Howard 5 star i believe....umm burns aqm carter the whole got **** ol and lets sub in 3 and 2 stars. gimee a break

let bama get Lane and let clark n cook go to uif and let the staff find diamonds in the rough. Im pretty sure at UNC butch went after highly touted guys.

Advertisement
Lets be honest, Miami failed those kids more than their star rating did. During Coker and Shannon's tenures, nobody got better. The longer they stayed in our program, the worse they got. Kyle Wright threw 18 TDs to 10 ints his first year as a starter. By his senior year dude was allergic to completing a pass. We have not developing talent, regardless of star ranking. Pointing out 5 star busts means nothing because nobody lived up to expectations under those two. Back to back poor hires because we tried to get by on the cheap. Neither should have been hired. Its sad when the only kid I can think of that got significantly better than he was when he got here was Leonard Hankerson and it took him getting outside help to do. Glad those days are over. Hope Golden to get us back to actually developing players. So far I have seen more from him already than I saw from Coker and Shannon combined.

Last edited:
I would feel sorry for Kyle bc he went through so many O coordinators but he *****ed out and ratted some bull**** so **** him. He couldn't take the pressure. But I will say the kid had talent but was never developed and had an awful offensive line that made him jumpy and develop terrible pocket presence.

Ya know what? The ******* answer is this. Do stars matter? About 3/4 of the time. I'd say about 25% of productive college players come from 3 and under. But for the most part in today's age of constant info and evaluation, it's getting more rare to find sleepers. I would say twenty years ago stars didn't matter. But now truth is, if a guy is a five star, then he's got talent and it's up to the coaching staff to keep him interested, motivated, and developed.

Advertisement
Back