3-star TE Wydermyer close to finalizing UM official visit date

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
****inson (TX) 3-star Jalen Wydermyer has long been a big-time Miami target at the tight end position in the 2019 cycle. Since he got his offer back in December of 2017, Wydermyer has been treated as a priority by tight ends coach Todd Hartley and, despite the distance between the two parties, their bond is still as strong as ever.

“Me and coach Hartley still talk all the time, it’s been great,” Wydermyer said. “He’s one of my favorite coaches to talk to.”

The 6’5” 230 pound tight end has had an impressive summer, earning offers from the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Auburn. Even with all these new players in the mix, it has been the Canes that have been on him the longest, and that has helped them become the only school to secure an official visit with Wydermyer this fall so far.

“Recruiting-wise, they’re still talking about my visit,” Wydermyer said on Miami. “It’s going to be really awesome, I can’t wait to get out there for an official. I know I have a bye week during the season (in early November) and I’d like to get out there during that bye week. Nothing else is set in stone yet, but Miami will be getting one. Miami is probably the only visit set in stone.”

While Wydermeyer has been around the Miami area before, this will be his first ever trip to campus. He’ll be paying close attention to the surrounding environment of the program and that doesn’t just mean the campus itself.

“Just how I’m treated, and how the coaches are,” Wydermyer said on what he’ll be looking for on his UM visit. “Talk to the players, see how they like it, how they’re treated out there. That might be the only time I get out there before I make a decision, so I’m trying to see the whole campus, soak everything in, find out my pros and cons of the school, and go from there.”

While the Canes took two highly rated TE’s in Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory in the 2018 class, the position still lacks numbers. With that in mind, it is likely that UM will again be looking to sign two TE’s in the 2019 class. Jesuit (FL) 3-star Larry Hodges has already made his pledge to the orange and green, but coach Hartley is still hard at work trying to stock the TE room.

“[Hodges] and I are similar, but we’re different in a lot of ways too,” Wydermyer said. “So, coach Hartley tells us what he can do with both of us. How I need to block and everything I need to do to be an NFL tight end.”

Is he confident that Miami could get him to that next level?

“Yes I am. They have tight ends coming out every year, so I’m very confident,” Wydermyer said on the Canes. “Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen, David Njoku, the list goes on.”

In his junior season, Wydermyer continued his development and registered a career season, recording 25 catches and 412 yards for 8 TD’s from his TE position for his ****inson squad. Describing his game, Wydermyer says he’s a big target inside the 20 with versatility.

“I can body off dudes in the red zone,” Wydermyer said on his game. “I’m also a vertical threat when it comes to jump balls, when it comes to the middle of the field and just getting off the coverage. I say that’s where I make most of my money in.”

In terms of other programs that Wydermyer is in contact with frequently, it’s a host of SEC schools that come to mind for the ****inson product.

“I hear from LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Texas A&M,” Wydermyer said. “Those would be the other schools I hear from a lot.”

While Wydermyer has no set decision date as of yet, he says he will be announcing his commit via a video after he takes all his official visits.

“With Chiming In Media, I’m doing a commitment video,” Wydermyer said. “It won’t be for a while, after all my officials, but when I make my commitment, that’s who I’ll be doing it with.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's an H-back. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'd like to know his numbers (.40, vert, bench, etc), but there's a lot to like about him. Its just a little odd that they'd take him along with Hodges, who is also an H-back. Won't be the most popular opinion, but after breaking down all of their clips, I'd like to see us sign him and Zip. If they can keep Hodges, I wouldnt argue. But Wydermyer and Zip are a nasty all around combo.

Seems like a more traditional TE size wise. Can get deep and knows how to use his size. Can easily be 250 between now and next fall.

Advertisement
He's an H-back. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'd like to know his numbers (.40, vert, bench, etc), but there's a lot to like about him. Its just a little odd that they'd take him along with Hodges, who is also an H-back. Won't be the most popular opinion, but after breaking down all of their clips, I'd like to see us sign him and Zip. If they can keep Hodges, I wouldnt argue. But Wydermyer and Zip are a nasty all around combo.
Wydermyer is 6’5

This was exactly my thoughts...i was too lazy to type it.

Hartley can definitely recruit.

I'm not sure what to think of him with developing and coaching, but he is pretty strong on the recruiting trail.

And this recruit has more of the traditional size that you like to have with TEs.

We've had some very good TEs from TX in the past, too.

Maybe he'll be the next one.

Advertisement
Nice size with him being able to add 20-25 more pounds and looks very willing to be an AP te but what i loved yhe most is that he gets it so id take him all day and Zip if we can

Zipperer is going to hold out until Feb. Either that or until he gets the green light to commit to Bama. I don't think he has that right now. IMO

Advertisement

He's definately not an HBACK. Dude is a traditional te.

I like this kid just as much as Zip and maybe even more. For the simple fact with bringing in Zip we will have 3 -4 guys all under 6'3 playing te. Hodges isnt even 6'2. and Zip is barely 6'3 if that.

Like how Hartley keeps the line of communication with his options ...unlike some others on staff.

Zip is probably gonna run his recruitment until signing day so hopefully Miami doesn’t jump the gun and take this guy as a commit over Zip. Not bashing this guy but Zip is number one over him.

Advertisement
Back