3-4 Defense in the NFL...Article by John Clayton on ESPN.com

The 3-4 doesn't have to be run the way we run it. (i.e big, slow D-linemen 2-gapping)

There's teams that run speed-based 3-4's and they use lighter players. I believe I saw an article about Oklahoma doing this. They have some stud outside linebacker who's about 230lbs and reeks havoc. (Name is slipping my mind)

Advertisement
(i.e big, slow D-linemen 2-gapping)

Macho...Chick wasn't slow, what they required Him to do in this scheme was slow. Chick was a kid that was coached to rush past OTs all through HS at about 235-240LBs...and His 1st 2 years at UM at about 250-255LBs. But His last 2 years, you want Him to all of a sudden shove aside OTs who've been 300+ since they've step foot on a College campus? Makes no sense.

(i.e big, slow D-linemen 2-gapping)

Macho...Chick wasn't slow, what they required Him to do in this scheme was slow. Chick was a kid that was coached to rush past OTs all through HS at about 235-240LBs...and His 1st 2 years at UM at about 250-255LBs. But His last 2 years, you want Him to all of a sudden shove aside OTs who've been 300+ since they've step foot on a College campus? Makes no sense.

Chick was never fast on the edge, he would bull rush ends, rarely used athleticism on them

Advertisement
The 3-4 doesn't have to be run the way we run it. (i.e big, slow D-linemen 2-gapping)

There's teams that run speed-based 3-4's and they use lighter players. I believe I saw an article about Oklahoma doing this. They have some stud outside linebacker who's about 230lbs and reeks havoc. (Name is slipping my mind)
Eric Striker.....Armwood High School......Kid was a saftey at the wood....

Advertisement
when they talk about high it was Miami guys (Cortez and Johnson) being at the forefront of defensive innovation in football...

I'm sad

I think 4-2-5 would be interesting with the amount of athletic hybrid CB/Safety secondary talent in our backyard...assuming we recruit it.

Article about TCU's Defensive scheme. Patterson is a stud.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ense-strategy-formations-xs-os-gary-patterson

Golden likes to recruit those types and there are a lot of those kids like that on roster, why we dont run it baffles me

Its because our coaches dont evolve and adapt. They don't know how to coach it. All that BS from Golden about Parcells telling him "think players then plays" was just hollow sound bite.

Athletes like McCord and Grace are so underutilized, charges should be brought against this staff for criminal negligence.

Forgot to add this quote from my cited article:

"The TCU 4-2-5 defense is descended from Jimmy Johnson's 4-3 over defense. It carries many of the same principles, including the positioning of the ends."

Last edited:
I think 4-2-5 would be interesting with the amount of athletic hybrid CB/Safety secondary talent in our backyard...assuming we recruit it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ense-strategy-formations-xs-os-gary-patterson

Golden likes to recruit those types and there are a lot of those kids like that on roster, why we dont run it baffles me

Its because our coaches dont evolve and adapt. They don't know how to coach it. All that BS from Golden about Parcells telling him "think players then plays" was just hollow sound bite.

Athletes like McCord and Grace are so underutilized, charges should be brought against this staff for criminal negligence.

"The TCU 4-2-5 defense is descended from Jimmy Johnson's 4-3 over defense. It carries many of the same principles, including the positioning of the ends."

He is thinking players then plays. He thinks we have the players he would rather have than the ones we actually do

Advertisement
Favorite quote from TCU article:

"In true Miami 4-3 defense fashion, the Frogs are looking to put as much speed on the field as possible. They adhere to a "shrink the field" philosophy of finding personnel. They recruit with the main purpose of locating speedy athletes with potential, rather than finished products with years of experience at a particular position."

Painful.

grace should have started last year, mccord is a one trick pony

Advertisement
4-3 is a better defense for setting the edge in the run game and attacking the QB. People talk about not knowing where the 4th rusheer is coming from in the 3-4 but in the 4-3 if you teach your DL to run stunts you can confuse the O-line just as well. That is the biggest difference I see from our DL. in the 1990's and early 2000's our DL ran a ton of stunts. Sometimes this backfired but more often it kept the opponents O-line off balance and kept our LBers clean. Now a days all we see is bullrushes and gap control.

Patterson is a stud.

I'd break the bank to bring him to Coral Gables.

He's the only guy other than Butch I'd even be interested in. He's one of the true modern innovators of the sport. If he was at a big time program he would wreck the landscape.

Advertisement
Back