25 man initial counter rule waived for next 2 seasons

Advertisement
Advertisement
Signing a bunch wont be an issue. The more delicate issue is trimming the fat to stay under 85.

I found this interesting passage from a The Athletic article about Riley's hire at USC (https://theathletic.com/3315734/2022/05/17/lincoln-riley-usc/) that shows how we can "trim the fat" to get under 85.

To that end, Riley got an unexpected assist from USC’s compliance department, which found a little-known NCAA bylaw — 15.5.1.7 — that essentially allows new coaches to “cut” players from the roster for a up to a year after their hire, so long as the school continues honoring the players’ scholarships if they opt not to transfer.

“Once I learned about the rule you can cut kids … I had a strong feeling there would be a significant turnover within the roster,” said an assistant from USC’s 2021 team.

Ten players with remaining eligibility were classified as “head-coach exceptions” that would receive aid but no longer count against the roster number. In total, more than two dozen players from the 2021 team have either entered the portal, left the team or medically retired, of which Wood said seven remain enrolled and on scholarship.

“They’re removed from our roster, but they still get services that are for all student athletes, from mental health, academics, medical support — all that stuff,” said Wood.

I imagine this is why Cristobal was not worried about the 85 scholarships number when he went transfer portal hunting.

I thought this thread was going to be about aome advanced kung fu Gattis/Steele cooking up in Greentree lab.

Disappointing.

I could have sworn there was talk about Cristobal's recent success bringing in a shaolin master straight from the peak of Mount Song. I expect our Crane and Dragon styles to be on another level this season. Especially watch out when we go Satisfied Reincarnated Crane, or when we utilize the underappreciated Swimming Dragon Plays with Water.

Advertisement
I could have sworn there was talk about Cristobal's recent success bringing in a shaolin master straight from the peak of Mount Song. I expect our Crane and Dragon styles to be on another level this season. Especially watch out when we go Satisfied Reincarnated Crane, or when we utilize the underappreciated Swimming Dragon Plays with Water.

Well. When a Shao-Lin Master "gives someone the business," it's nothing like Bubba's Saturday Night "giving someone the bidness."

Advertisement
That's ******* cold blooded - but then that's Riley all over.
You don’t think jimmy Johnson would be cutting players if he could?
Got to be cold blooded to win
I hope Mario has it in him
I’m a little concerned cuz there are a couple major jags on the roster that he may be to kind hearted

Man some kids about to be on the chopping block. Will our subtractions be announced? Or guys like Sam Brooks just gunna disappear?

Advertisement
That's ******* cold blooded - but then that's Riley all over.
Riley and every other HC. At least the scholarship is honored. The player can chose to remain and complete his education rather than transfer. Maybe reality sets in and the athlete accepts he’s not going on to the NFL, and a degree from USC is better than a few seasons at Washington State or San Diego State.

This assumes the scholarship is for the duration of remaining eligibility.

Advertisement
Back