247 Update on Admin Changes

You said Donna "didn't give a ****." I am explaining why that's absurd.

TBH there is nothing to agree or disagree about. She got everything I wrote above done. That's not debatable. She made more capital improvements for sports than all other UM presidents in our history combined. Fact. BUC, Schwartz, Cobb, A-Rod Park, Schiff, Hecht. And more.

Do you remember where we played basketball games and where we had commencement before Donna did the impossible and got the BUC built on-campus, in Coral Gables?

You want to say we didn't win under her, fine. That's cool. Bad coaching choices? Yup. You want to say it was all her fault? Well, no, that's silly. Is she absolutely partly to blame? OF COURSE. But most of it was due to decades of neglect and the timing of the CFB arms race. If we had had Donna in the 70's, 80's or 90's, when Tad Foote etc. were talking about killing football, wow, the sky's the limit as to what we could have achieved.

You're one of the smartest guys on here. See the whole field.

We are arguing apples and oranges to a large extent. You are talking facilities and sports in general, I am talking football specifically. Donna did not want a strong AD, and she did not want a powerful football program that would usurp her. As I wrote above, she fundraised a lot for the school, but was bad for the football program.

Advertisement
2 things...no to Hernandez as I dont like that he hangs out with that albatross known as Kirby Hocutt. Also, I love the A Highsmith information. I wouldnt be mad at Highsmith getting the Job.

I believe Jimbo. He isn't leaving TAMU. Riley is either looking for a raise or going to the NFL. I don't think he'd leave Oklahoma for LSU.
It actually would be insane to leave with his contract there and recent success compared to where LSU is at. A&M is putting money for everything. Is LSU really going to somehow outbid all of that?

Advertisement
FYIAP...
6BCCF31D-167A-4053-96E8-E164B6ED2DE0.jpeg

"The U-Health healthcare system in South Florida makes a ton of money for the university".... You know how many times I've said money was and will NEVER be an issue for the program because of this! We have probably the top health program in the NATION. Money will always be there to spread around.

I work in the UM Healthcare system and although the cancer center makes the money that runs the medical school and the medical school makes the money that runs university, there is not massive amount of money to spend on sports coming from the medical school.

Advertisement
You said Donna "didn't give a ****." I am explaining why that's absurd.

TBH there is nothing to agree or disagree about. She got everything I wrote above done. That's not debatable. She made more capital improvements for sports than all other UM presidents in our history combined. Fact. BUC, Schwartz, Cobb, A-Rod Park, Schiff, Hecht. And more.

Do you remember where we played basketball games and where we had commencement before Donna did the impossible and got the BUC built on-campus, in Coral Gables?

You want to say we didn't win under her, fine. That's cool. Bad coaching choices? Yup. You want to say it was all her fault? Well, no, that's silly. Is she absolutely partly to blame? OF COURSE. But most of it was due to decades of neglect and the timing of the CFB arms race. If we had had Donna in the 70's, 80's or 90's, when Tad Foote etc. were talking about killing football, wow, the sky's the limit as to what we could have achieved.

You're one of the smartest guys on here. See the whole field.
These narratives will never die, but again, the typical fan knows little if anything about how the University works so it's easy to BS artists and idiots to start theories and have them be accepted as gospel. From the people I know within the program that were there during the Shalala years, the gripe was that they wished she would have been more active in regards to fundraising for the athletic department. If asked she would step up, but other than that, the AD was left alone. What's funny is that Hocutt and Eichorst were hired after Dee, two professional ADs. The problem was that Hocutt(or should I say his wife) hated South Florida and Eichorst was straight up not ready for primetime, despite his resume indicating otherwise. That's hardly the hire record(She signed off, but the BOT handles it) of someone that hated athletics. Frankly, the only thing you could really gripe about is her standing up for Shannon, because she felt loyal to him because she didn't see the point of hiring someone like Charlie Strong, when you had someone with a similar resume already on campus.

Dr. Shalala wasn't the boogeyman our fans believe she is, then again, we have a lot of regressive meatheads so I can see why they could cling to the thought of Dr. Shalala being their worst nightmare.

Advertisement
These narratives will never die, but again, the typical fan knows little if anything about how the University works so it's easy to BS artists and idiots to start theories and have them be accepted as gospel. From the people I know within the program that were there during the Shalala years, the gripe was that they wished she would have been more active in regards to fundraising for the athletic department. If asked she would step up, but other than that, the AD was left alone. What's funny is that Hocutt and Eichorst were hired after Dee, two professional ADs. The problem was that Hocutt(or should I say his wife) hated South Florida and Eichorst was straight up not ready for primetime, despite his resume indicating otherwise. That's hardly the hire record(She signed off, but the BOT handles it) of someone that hated athletics. Frankly, the only thing you could really gripe about is her standing up for Shannon, because she felt loyal to him because she didn't see the point of hiring someone like Charlie Strong, when you had someone with a similar resume already on campus.

Dr. Shalala wasn't the boogeyman our fans believe she is, then again, we have a lot of regressive meatheads so I can see why they could cling to the thought of Dr. Shalala being their worst nightmare.

She assigned on of her best finance guys to athletics and raised 9 figures for all the athletics improvements I listed. I agree with most of what you wrote, but I do not understand how anyone can say she didn't raise enough money for athletics.

Again, she:

Built the BUC.
Built COBB.
Built a brand new football building (Schwartz).
Gut re-do of A-Rod Park (literally became A-Rod Park because of the donation she got from him).
Redid Hecht.
Redid Schiff.

That's a Miami Mt. Rushmore of improvements. But like you said, people gloss over cause it doesn't fit their narrative.

And more. If you put $ next to each of those you will see she was the greatest athletic fundraiser the U has ever had, at any level.

"The U-Health healthcare system in South Florida makes a ton of money for the university".... You know how many times I've said money was and will NEVER be an issue for the program because of this! We have probably the top health program in the NATION. Money will always be there to spread around.
Just cause the family is wealthy dont mean you are. Miami has been cheap when it comes to sports for years now. Hopefully they open their eyes and see they can make money in return if they hire the right peopel

yes, but doesn't the IPO process, from SEC review to underwriters' review, lend some credibility to the offerring?
Not the way they're going about it. They created a SPAC, basically the process is you go public with a blank-check company. Literally a shell of a company with no assets other than cash raised from investors. Then that Company goes and tries to find an actual business to invest in. Alot of these situations have gone awry because the projections of the eventually acquired Company aren't subject to regulatory scrutiny the way a normal IPO would be. You can basically put on paper any revenue/profit projection, if the blank check investor agrees with you then you're good to go. and from what I understand, Ruiz and his deal, there wasn't the typical investor group involved in these transactions that negotiated the valuation down. So even less scrutiny of his projections/valuation.

I'm oversimplifying this all, and hey maybe its all legit (I hope it is). But most of these deals have proven to be terrible over the last 12-18 months.

Advertisement
She assigned on of her best finance guys to athletics and raised 9 figures for all the athletics improvements I listed. I agree with most of what you wrote, but I do not understand how anyone can say she didn't raise enough money for athletics.

Again, she:

Built the BUC.
Built COBB.
Built a brand new football building (Schwartz).
Gut re-do of A-Rod Park (literally became A-Rod Park because of the donation she got from him).
Redid Hecht.
Redid Schiff.

That's a Miami Mt. Rushmore of improvements. But like you said, people gloss over cause it doesn't fit their narrative. The

And more. If you put $ next to each of those you will see she was the greatest athletic fundraiser the U has ever had, at any level.
Let's start with the obvious, the planning for the BUC happened YEARS before Shalala came on board. Keep in mind, the building opened in 2003, she was in office in 2000. The fundraising, the planning, all of that came about before Dr. Shalala came along. The entire concept of the BUC was something Coach Ham was pushing in the mid 90s, because he knew that Miami playing at the Miami Arena wasn't a viable long term solution. We don't need to overrate her impact, it stands on its own.

Now, I'm quoting the people that were around in regards to Shalala, and the problem was that it took the AD begging for support for these things to happen. Keep in mind, Miami should have been in the lead in regards to building an IPF, because weather continues to be a limiting factor in regards to the program having fall camp. The Hecht renovations was years behind and no one did a **** thing. That's why she gets some criticism, a lot of the issues could have been addressed a lot sooner than they were. That's a legit gripe. That said, you are right in regards to how much she raised overall.

If Mario comes to Miami, I'd imagine (and hope) that Nike/Jordan Brand will come with him to Coral Gables. A way of maintaining the relationship if you will.
Lol you really think Phil Knight is going to let Nike follow him after bailing on Oregon....ZERO CHANCE.

Advertisement
Back