247 Update on Admin Changes

Advertisement
Some updates from Lake include the expectation of a short timeline ; 1-4 weeks was mentioned but the belief is it will be closer to the short end of that. A search firm will conduct a national search for the best candidate. Also mentioned that the new AD will have the authority to keep or remove Manny from his job. He says he hears there will be no pre determined situation where a new AD is told what to do with regard to HC.

Another booster who supports the program: Bojangles’ CEO Jose Armario, who is a UM alum. (Also added Dan Lambert to the list of influential donors)
I love Jose! He’s a great guy!

Bring me Jurich. Savage AD. That’s what we need. Don’t complicate things and hire a football GM. If Torretta and Zo are interested in roles and are qualified, Torretta could be head of fundraising and Zo could be put in some kind of advisory position. I’d have no problem with that. But let the **** AD do the **** AD things homies…Jurich would bring us back the fastest, no doubt. He’s a winner, and that’s all he cares about.

#JurichToTheU

Advertisement
Miami needs to look at USC as a cautionary tale on two fronts

1. USC hired Lynn Swann as AD in 2016 because of his "connections to the program" and it was by all accounts a total disaster. after three years of that mess, including keeping Clay Helton for several years against the fanbase's wishes, they finally went and hired a real AD.

2. the real AD they did hire -- Mike Bohm from Cincinnati -- kept Clay Helton after an 8-5 season in 2019, then again after the covid shortened 2020 season, only fire him a whole 2 games into the 2021 season, essentially flushing the entire season down the toilet

we need to hire an AD with real experience in college athletic departments -- not an ex-player with business or pro football "experience." and we need to rip the band aid of the Manny Diaz era off immediately. it's very simple. do those two things.
And he will bring Cincy’s current coach to USC.

The IPO process does, but the SPAC process circumvents a lot of those. @SpikeUM and @Cryptical Envelopment probably know more of the specifics, but there is a reason so many companies are going public in SPACs and why it is more of the speculative ones in nature. Not to say all are, but yea, it is a faster and less scrutinized process on the whole.

Advantages and disadvantages for all sides in a SPAC. The initial retail investor is buying shares in a TBD venture, but get in early, usually with shares at an IPO-ish price + a warrant. They are past that, and the funded SPAC is now "merging" (acquiring) a company. It's not for your grandma's IRA, that's for sure, but its not necessarily shady in any way. The sponsors clean up though, I'll tell you that.

Advertisement
Advantages and disadvantages for all sides in a SPAC. The initial retail investor is buying shares in a TBD venture, but get in early, usually with shares at an IPO-ish price + a warrant. They are past that, and the funded SPAC is now "merging" (acquiring) a company. It's not for your grandma's IRA, that's for sure, but its not necessarily shady in any way. The sponsors clean up though, I'll tell you that.
yes. i was involved in a deal with Ophir Sternburg from Lion Capital, the one involved in this SPAC. He and and the prior investor in the prior SPAC did very well. He's a pretty sharp guy.

If we hire a new AD and keep Manny, I'm out... That just shows it's the same ol ****
Bringing back Manny would be beyond stupid and would set us back years. But that’s exactly the kind of buzzkill decision that I would expect UM to make. Every conversation around needs to be centered around who our new coach is going to be. The foregone conclusion should be that Manny is not returning. The Diaz era will go down as the worse era in UM football history.

Stop with the Donna didn't give a **** stuff. She made more capital improvements and devoted more money and time to the AD than every other UM President in our history combined. She:

*Built the BUC (honestly, that was supposed to be a never-going-to-happen event at UM). We could stop there.
*Rebuilt the Hecht Center.
*Built the Schwartz Center for Football Excellence.
*Rebuilt Mark Light Stadium.
*Rebuilt the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
*Built Cobb.
*Laid the groundwork for the IFP.

If Tad Foote was still President we'd probably be getting kicked out of the ACC right now. She built the capital foundation for why we even have a fighting chance right now. There are a LOT of things to criticize her for, especially the hires, but saying she didn't give a **** is absolute nonsense. You're better than that, homie!

And fundraising at UM is 10x harder than it is at our competition. Do you really need me to write why?

82E97095-8921-4413-AD9C-AD55C145804F.gif

Advertisement
yes. i was involved in a deal with Ophir Sternburg from Lion Capital, the one involved in this SPAC. He and and the prior investor in the prior SPAC did very well. He's a pretty sharp guy.

I guess it really comes down to valuation of the "claims" and how recoverable they are....Usually when things seem too good to be true, they are.

After reading all the speculation and buzz in this thread and others like it, I must say the AD name that excites me the most is Clemson's Radakovich. I researched a bit and liked everything I read.

Of course, the main issue is whether he would realistically leave. Taking that he was reported in serious contention for PAC comish earlier this year (and reportedly willing to take it) and some other things regarding salary and Clemson's sub-par season, I'm keeping this one on my Wish-list for sure.

Advertisement
The fact that we're seriously considering "Miami guys" who have no actual qualifications other than having played football here is deeply disturbing. We're on the precipice of oblivion and irrelevance. This needs to be a homerun. Hopefully they do the right thing here and bring in an actual AD with actual experience.

The IPO process does, but the SPAC process circumvents a lot of those. @SpikeUM and @Cryptical Envelopment probably know more of the specifics, but there is a reason so many companies are going public in SPACs and why it is more of the speculative ones in nature. Not to say all are, but yea, it is a faster and less scrutinized process on the whole.
@rsa coral gables WSP is correct, from an investor point of view, a traditional IPO is much more vetted than a SPAC. While there are of course exceptions, I am not a fan of the latter and almost always stay away.

Advertisement
Back