247 Update on Admin Changes

A miami lawyer (who dabbles in Real Estate on the side) involved in a pre-revenue business centered around incorrect medicare and medicaid payments valued at 10.5x PROJECTED revenues due to proprietary technology he developed with a team of engineers.

Where to even begin on how this will go wrong....
yes, but doesn't the IPO process, from SEC review to underwriters' review, lend some credibility to the offerring?

Advertisement
What kind of reporting is this lol. Smh ppl really pay for that info?
Seriously. I mean, he freaking contradicts himself in the same post. Either they go after Mario or Manny stays. Can't be both unless he is saying they are going to wait until next year to go after Mario?

As much as I would love that, I don't see Phil letting that go down especially if Mario turns him down on staying at OU

I know it's been said here before, but if anyone understands loyalty to his alma mater, it's Phil Knight. I don't think he'd be salty about Mario leaving, U of O knew when they signed him that the one program he'd leave them for is Miami. Some things transcend money.

I know it's been said here before, but if anyone understands loyalty to his alma mater, it's Phil Knight. I don't think he'd be salty about Mario leaving, U of O knew when they signed him that the one program he'd leave them for is Miami. Some things transcend money.
Where my mind was on it. We'll see though.

Not something that matters a ton to me in a sense of everything that's transpiring, but I feel if Mario indeed comes to UM it'll be something of note. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a condition that Mario would propose. Jurich would be the deciding factor here with the Adidas connect if he's brought on.

Advertisement
Tom Jurich should top any list, but doesn't mean he's the hire. Needs to be thoroughly backgrounded as his reputation post-Louisville is that of a legit slime-ball. Hard believing he would pass close scrutiny. The others mentioned by David Lake are creditable and a very good place to start - Washington State AD and a pair of No. 2 guys.
Two that should go nowhere as AD candidates are obviously the most familiar to Miami fans - Alonzo Highsmith and Gino Torretta. Neither is remotely qualified to oversaw all those goes with running a major athletic program in today's environment. Anyone believing they understand the business side of sports are clueless. The job is far behind having been part of a NFL scouting operation or asset management. If there's a role for them within the football program, fine - but let's not be USC East and at every turn look to a former player lacking appropriate credentials.

- Alonzo Highsmith: The former UM running back has worked in NFL front offices and understands the business side of sports in addition to how to run athletics. Highsmith would understand what a winning football program looks like. Whether or not Highsmith is hired as the athletic director, there is a belief that he should be working within the UM athletic department as someone that oversees the football program.

- Gino Torretta: The former Heisman Trophy winner would check two boxes for the athletic director position: 1.) He understands the athletics side of leading an athletic department and specifically what a winning football program is supposed to look like. 2.) He understands the financial side of running an operation. Torretta’s post football career has centered around finances and asset management.

"- On the front end, let me get this out of the way. The decision to separate from Blake James was a strong one by the UM administration and it should be commended. If you read the tea leaves, it is pretty clear that a change at head football coach is likely at the end of the season as well. With that being said, however, Manny Diaz still has key Board of Trustees members in his corner and they are willing to fight and continue to back him. It is not necessarily a forgone conclusion that Miami will move on from Diaz."

Yeah BOT's who like or owe Manolo's dad favors.

Advertisement
Miami needs to look at USC as a cautionary tale on two fronts

1. USC hired Lynn Swann as AD in 2016 because of his "connections to the program" and it was by all accounts a total disaster. after three years of that mess, including keeping Clay Helton for several years against the fanbase's wishes, they finally went and hired a real AD.

2. the real AD they did hire -- Mike Bohm from Cincinnati -- kept Clay Helton after an 8-5 season in 2019, then again after the covid shortened 2020 season, only fire him a whole 2 games into the 2021 season, essentially flushing the entire season down the toilet

we need to hire an AD with real experience in college athletic departments -- not an ex-player with business or pro football "experience." and we need to rip the band aid of the Manny Diaz era off immediately. it's very simple. do those two things.

That had nothing to do with him. Renegotiating contracts had nothing to do with the turnaround, although that has happened.

The turnaround was multifaceted, but the single biggest balance sheet impact was unifying reimbursement amounts across the health system. Before Frenk, the same care was reimbursed at different amounts based upon which hospital or practice within UHealth administered the care. Rates were brought to top line across the board, substantially increasing revenue across the health system.

That wasn’t the only reason for the turnaround, but it was the single most financially significant reason.

Advertisement
New AD gets a year to get his feet wet. In this scenario, Manny likely stays

There's two reasons why this is BS.

1) Everyone is expecting a new AD to fire Manny. If he doesn't then that will not be a good look and he will almost instantly burn any goodwill he has. This will be compounded by the fact that...

2) ...Our 2nd game of the season next year is against Texas A&M and we play Clemson in ACC play. His decision to keep Manny is going to look stupid REALLY fast into the year and people will begin questioning whether or not it was the right hire.

If Cristobal isn't coming this year then he's not coming. And to be honest, I don't think there's anyone out there who won't come this year but would come next year. So go get someone.

The turnaround was multifaceted, but the single biggest balance sheet impact was unifying reimbursement amounts across the health system. Before Frenk, the same care was reimbursed at different amounts based upon which hospital or practice within UHealth administered the care. Rates were brought to top line across the board, substantially increasing revenue across the health system.

That wasn’t the only reason for the turnaround, but it was the single most financially significant reason.

And that had nothing to do with renegotiating contracts. It had to do with hospital licensure, and nothing to do with Frenk.

yes, but doesn't the IPO process, from SEC review to underwriters' review, lend some credibility to the offerring?
The IPO process does, but the SPAC process circumvents a lot of those. @SpikeUM and @Cryptical Envelopment probably know more of the specifics, but there is a reason so many companies are going public in SPACs and why it is more of the speculative ones in nature. Not to say all are, but yea, it is a faster and less scrutinized process on the whole.

Advertisement
There's two reasons why this is BS.

1) Everyone is expecting a new AD to fire Manny. If he doesn't then that will not be a good look and he will almost instantly burn any goodwill he has. This will be compounded by the fact that...

2) ...Our 2nd game of the season next year is against Texas A&M and we play Clemson in ACC play. His decision to keep Manny is going to look stupid REALLY fast into the year and people will begin questioning whether or not it was the right hire.

If Cristobal isn't coming this year then he's not coming. And to be honest, I don't think there's anyone out there who won't come this year but would come next year. So go get someone.

I like Cristobal but if you were to ask me which coach could take over the current roster and give us the best chance to beat Clemson and TAMU next year, I think Kiffin would be the clear #1. Longer term (3-5 years) , Cristobal would be the better choice. So I guess it all depends on what you prioritize.

The IPO process does, but the SPAC process circumvents a lot of those. @SpikeUM and @Cryptical Envelopment probably know more of the specifics, but there is a reason so many companies are going public in SPACs and why it is more of the speculative ones in nature. Not to say all are, but yea, it is a faster and less scrutinized process on the whole.
you are right, there is less scrutiny than a typical IPO.

Advertisement
Back