247 / Late Kick / Pate video Bama Miami

It will be a long night if that we group can't get by their elite dbs. Rambo has to get open and Mallory
Lashlee also made a point that the two teams last year that had success against Bama D made a ton of contested catches. Guys were covered but still made plays. We have been pitiful in recent years at winning contested battles.

Advertisement
I actually think the Clemson game last year helps us.

I went back and watched some of that game....geez.

-The first two offensive drives for Clemson: we should have had a pick on the first that led to 7. On the 2nd drive, we have them in 3rd and 9 at midfield, they get a holding call but on the same play Amari gets a late hit on Lawrence which negates the hold and keeps their drive going and gives them 7 more.
-Our first two drives, had nothing to do with receiver separation. King had 0.5 seconds in the pocket both times. It was a complete protection failure.

At that point the tone of the game was pretty much set. The thing that's frustrating is we had the ball at Clemson's 22 with 5 mins left in the 2nd, down 14-0, and we can't get a TD. Then it's 21-10 in the 3rd, we get a fumble, have the ball at the 25 and throw an INT because our receivers are god awful.

We had NO business winning that game but it's very possible this game could have been within one score midway into the 3rd, which is shocking.

Our WRs vs Clemson completely ****ed down their legs, but I wasn’t overly impressed with Lashlee’s gameplan

I truly hope there is more design to get our guys the ball in space and over the middle. We are screwed if we are expecting our WRs to consistently win go routes and jump balls against Bama CBs
When you play against athletes who are similar or better, you have to win 1v1. Wiggins sees the ball and starts falling to the ground instead of locating and going up and getting the ball. He catches on or two of those. Clemson is backing up the DBs. They never needed to. Gameplan could have been better but if you dont execute and make plays, you cut down the offensive options. Plus we had a zoom installed offense

Lashlee also made a point that the two teams last year that had success against Bama D made a ton of contested catches. Guys were covered but still made plays. We have been pitiful in recent years at winning contested battles.
Our defense has to be light years improved to keep it close. I'm trying to figure out how tf are we going to score

Advertisement
They have to be able to stay on the field to have any chance of staying in this game. Can't be inside run every first down, and I hope it isn't with the 2nd year in offensive system. I think D will keep UM w/in reaching distance w/ turnovers, lucky plays, offense will have to convert

God **** it guys…. I told myself I wasn’t going to but I’m about to take Canes +25.5 in a teaser… I promised myself I wouldn’t
Gambling rule: never tease college football games

(or CFB totals, or NFL totals above ~45)

Am I the only one who thinks Saban is gonna turn it up in the 4th quarter? I keep hearing back door cover, Miami garbage time score for the cover, etc. I see it happening the exact opposite way. He isn’t calling the dogs off on D up 21 with 4 minutes left.

Am I the only one who thinks Saban is gonna turn it up in the 4th quarter? I keep hearing back door cover, Miami garbage time score for the cover, etc. I see it happening the exact opposite way. He isn’t calling the dogs off on D up 21 with 4 minutes left.
I don't think so. Saban is a made man, and he doesn't need style points at this time in his career. He will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playoff consideration. He would probably let the youngsters get some work.

Advertisement
I went back and watched some of that game....geez.

-The first two offensive drives for Clemson: we should have had a pick on the first that led to 7. On the 2nd drive, we have them in 3rd and 9 at midfield, they get a holding call but on the same play Amari gets a late hit on Lawrence which negates the hold and keeps their drive going and gives them 7 more.
-Our first two drives, had nothing to do with receiver separation. King had 0.5 seconds in the pocket both times. It was a complete protection failure.

At that point the tone of the game was pretty much set. The thing that's frustrating is we had the ball at Clemson's 22 with 5 mins left in the 2nd, down 14-0, and we can't get a TD. Then it's 21-10 in the 3rd, we get a fumble, have the ball at the 25 and throw an INT because our receivers are god awful.

We had NO business winning that game but it's very possible this game could have been within one score midway into the 3rd, which is shocking.
We had the ball deep in their territory with 5 minutes left in the first half, down 14-0, after King scrambled.

We were never going to win that game. However, people understandably conflate the 4 quarter train wreck of UNC with the Clemson game (and less understandably the OSU contest). The fact is that we had pivotal opportunities to stay in that game and could not capitalize on them. Does that ultimately mean we played anywhere near good enough that night? No, but it also doesn’t mean we played like a JV squad for 4 quarters, as we all tend to “remember” (like the UNC debacle).

I don't think so. Saban is a made man, and he doesn't need style points at this time in his career. He will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playoff consideration. He would probably let the youngsters get some work.
You’re forgetting his offense is full of youngsters. They won’t take the foot off the gas. When it comes to the defense it won’t be much of a drop off.

If there ever was an ideal situation for Amari Carter to target someone, blasting Bryce Young would be it
Denzel Washington GIF

Advertisement
He's pretty accurate in his assessment. I'll say this tho, if anyone is expecting us to throw out the same WRs we had against Clemson, they are in for a big surprise. I'll take Keyshawn, Harley, Rambo, and XR7 over wiggins, pope, and an lesser version of the Mike Harley we know today, all day everyday.

We aren't the same team as last year. But, they are BAMA!

Don't think we going to be able to move I would be real surprised if we did

Can we average 5.5 a play on them? I think we can make it a game late if we do. I just have a weird feeling that they're not going to absolutely assrape our defense. I think we hold them under 38, which they scored in every single game last year except Notre Dame, which was a game that ND just decided to play keep away the entire night. If we do, can we scare 30 on offense? Seems steep, but if we can get close to 5.5 a play, it's doable. 5 teams did it to them last year. All 5 scored at least 24 points.

We had the ball deep in their territory with 5 minutes left in the first half, down 14-0, after King scrambled.

We were never going to win that game. However, people understandably conflate the 4 quarter train wreck of UNC with the Clemson game (and less understandably the OSU contest). The fact is that we had pivotal opportunities to stay in that game and could not capitalize on them. Does that ultimately mean we played anywhere near good enough that night? No, but it also doesn’t mean we played like a JV squad for 4 quarters, as we all tend to “remember” (like the UNC debacle).

Agree. But this Bama defense is better than Clemson's 2020 defense. None of our guys, Harley included, showed any ability to respond to press and physicality. Hopefully Rambo and Keyshawn are different animals than Wiggins and Pope were last year. Hopefully Harley straps some on. Hopefully Redding, Restrepo and the Freshmen are ready to come in and battle. We need to see it to believe it.

Advertisement
Yes, but the guys on the 2-deep can make plays. Smith, Redding, Restepo, Harley, Rambo. Wiggins is behind Rambo, but Pope not on the 2-deep.

I think our young guys are dogs ready to fight. Harley and Rambo are vets that should be ready for primetime.

19 point spread sounds about right. Alabama is the number 1 team in the country for a reason. We would have to play a perfect game to keep the game to 2 touchdowns, which is highly unlikely. Thus, I think this was a fair assessment of the point spread.

I HAVE BEEN YEAR SINCE 2012 AND FINALLY HAVE MY 1,000 POST. LOL. GO CANES!!!

Agree. But this Bama defense is better than Clemson's 2020 defense. None of our guys, Harley included, showed any ability to respond to press and physicality. Hopefully Rambo and Keyshawn are different animals than Wiggins and Pope were last year. Hopefully Harley straps some on. Hopefully Redding, Restrepo and the Freshmen are ready to come in and battle. We need to see it to believe it.
This is why the T-Rob hire is so big. I bet he had DBs in the WRs faces and being extra physical through all the camps to help the DBs and the WRs as well.

Advertisement
Back