24/7 3* Victor Konopka 6'7 Tight End/DE former Basketball Player

Madabs

Sophomore
Interesting story played basketball at Don Bosco and had offers to Ivy League, A10, and Patriot League Schools. He ended up going to Army and started basic training. It wasn't for him so he's back at school postgraduate and now has offers from Rutgers and Virginia. He also has an unofficial at Penn State. He's got the academics maybe a take as a preferred walk-on.

Hudl

Advertisement
He couldn't cut basic training, but you think he will cut it at a D1 program?

Unless you are an absolute out of shape POS, you can make it through basic. Maybe he just didn't like the whole idea of blindly taking orders. The kid probably sucks, and won't be able to play here, but I highly doubt he wasn't able to make it through basic.

At Westpoint, Basic isn't the problem for Freshman, it is the hazing from the upper classmen. The kid might not have been up for the Military indoctrination. I hate what they do to kids up there.

Unless you are an absolute out of shape POS, you can make it through basic. Maybe he just didn't like the whole idea of blindly taking orders. The kid probably sucks, and won't be able to play here, but I highly doubt he wasn't able to make it through basic.
He probably decided he doesn't want to be at ARMY. Academics weren't an issue. I'd bet he wants to party and if he plays its a bonus.

Advertisement
At Westpoint, Basic isn't the problem for Freshman, it is the hazing from the upper classmen. The kid might not have been up for the Military indoctrination. I hate what they do to kids up there.

Indoctrination? My son chose Miami over the Air Force Academy because he wanted more of the college experience as opposed to a strict military school. It is hard as **** for football players. At the USAFA, during the season, football players are up before 6 and at Mitchell Hall by 6:30 am. Then they are off to class. They are down at the football facilities by 1 pm and back in the dorms by 7 pm every day during the season. Study hall then lights out. Football players are protected. Doolies have it tough for about 6 weeks. After that they go with the flow and make it through their first year.

Just to clarify he went to West Point to play basketball. This is his first year of football. Hes actually back in HS.

Indoctrination? My son chose Miami over the Air Force Academy because he wanted more of the college experience as opposed to a strict military school. It is hard as **** for football players. At the USAFA, during the season, football players are up before 6 and at Mitchell Hall by 6:30 am. Then they are off to class. They are down at the football facilities by 1 pm and back in the dorms by 7 pm every day during the season. Study hall then lights out. Football players are protected. Doolies have it tough for about 6 weeks. After that they go with the flow and make it through their first year.

Westpoint is an incredible place. I'm just pointing out that all kids aren't cut out for what goes on in their first year. Some of the upperclassmen make it very unpleasant for pleebs. It is not an environment for every kid.

Advertisement
Back