Portal 24-25 transfers (Basketball)

I think we'd be paying Bethea a disservice having him size up and defend 3's
I agree, but more and more teams are running 3 guard lineups as their primary five. There are some outliers for sure, but just thinking through the ACC I’d ballpark around 75% of the teams had 3 guards in their starting 5. I wouldn’t want to put him on Blake Hinson, for example, but Cormac Ryan, sure.

Only point being I think there would be enough times you could play all 3 together where you could get them all to around 26-30 minutes a night.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Florida Atlantic star guard Johnell Davis has entered the transfer portal and plans to declare for the NBA draft, he announced on Tuesday.

Davis officially entered the transfer portal late Tuesday night and is now able to be contacted by other college coaches. He's arguably the best player in the portal this spring.

A 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Indiana, Davis shared AAC Player of the Year honors this season after averaging 18.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists -- all career-highs. He also shot a career-best 41.4% from 3-point range.”

Advertisement
Florida Atlantic star guard Johnell Davis has entered the transfer portal and plans to declare for the NBA draft, he announced on Tuesday.

Davis officially entered the transfer portal late Tuesday night and is now able to be contacted by other college coaches. He's arguably the best player in the portal this spring.

A 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Indiana, Davis shared AAC Player of the Year honors this season after averaging 18.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists -- all career-highs. He also shot a career-best 41.4% from 3-point range.”
Think it’s Michigan or one of the Indiana schools (Purdue or IU)

Doubt we pursue Goldin now that we have Kidd committed
After not having much size these past few years, I'd be tickled if we got a little greedy and went after him. Roster logistics and/or on-court lineup questions aside, if we had Omier/Kidd/Goldin on the roster next year, it'd be an awesome problem to have.

Advertisement
After not having much size these past few years, I'd be tickled if we got a little greedy and went after him. Roster logistics and/or on-court lineup questions aside, if we had Omier/Kidd/Goldin on the roster next year, it'd be an awesome problem to have.
No offense but I'm not throwing major NIL at another center that's looking to play 20+ min. There are a ton of other holes on the roster as-is.

None of those 3 want to come off the bench

I’d go all in on Davis though

None of those 3 want to come off the bench

I’d go all in on Davis though
Davis is 6'4 so you can potentially sway me on a three guard lineup with him, Pack and Bethea. Not sure how that would look defensively but the versatility there is intriguing.

Advertisement
No offense but I'm not throwing major NIL at another center that's looking to play 20+ min. There are a ton of other holes on the roster as-is.
No offense taken. I'll be the first one to agree with the holes on the roster for sure. I get where you're coming from with the NIL funding. I think it'd be a pipedream anyway for us to get Goldin because I think he and Davis will both follow May to Michigan. But I wouldn't be mad if we got greedy and at least tried.

The minutes/rotation thing though - that's really on Coach L to navigate/sell to each player. I wouldn't not take/go after a talented big just because Kidd's on the roster now. Collect the chips and figure out the minutes later. Remember - Omier may not be back. We could lose Omier, snag Goldin, and start Kidd/Goldin together and go big at the 4/5 spots. Yeah - that'd be a big (pun intended) change, but who's to say it couldn't work. Could sell Kidd/Goldin on being a really nice duo inside if you sold it right. That being said, I know it's highly unlikely.

Davis is 6'4 so you can potentially sway me on a three guard lineup with him, Pack and Bethea. Not sure how that would look defensively but the versatility there is intriguing.

Wooga too.

It ain’t happening though.

They just landed Brandon Johnson from ECU.

Matthew Cleveland might be out of luck

I doubt portal kids are coming in as reserves

Advertisement
Back