Portal 24-25 transfers (Basketball)

Advertisement
Watson leaving.

d id
Watson leaving.

Good idea kid. More players need to follow..

Advertisement
They are "casualties" of their own inept play and lack of skill. L's "contribution" was in poor evaluation.

Explain to me how a coaching staff can watch and recruit a kid for 2+ years, get a commitment from the kid then the kid arrives on campus then you realize the kid cannot play.
There is an issue within the coaching staff, either player evaluation or skill development or both.

Explain to me how a coaching staff can watch and recruit a kid for 2+ years, get a commitment from the kid then the kid arrives on campus then you realize the kid cannot play.
There is an issue within the coaching staff, either player evaluation or skill development or both.
So you’re saying it’s not the realm of possibility that the kid can’t forge his own destiny?

You can't see beyond your own agenda and I truly feel sorry for you. Every program misses on their evaluations, no matter if you're Duke, Kansas or Miami. The fact of the matter is:

- Shane Larkin was a fringe top-100 recruit that wound up being the ACC player of the year and 2nd team All-America
- Kenny Kadji averaged 4 ppg at UF before turning into an all-conference player at Miami
- Kam McGusty went from a frustratingly inconsistent player at Oklahoma to first team All-ACC
- Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker were NBA draft picks
- Jordan Miller was a fairly average mid-major starter before turning into one of the best players in the ACC
- Zay Wong was another fringe top-100 recruit who also wound up winning ACC player of the year
- Kyshawn George has gone from 3 star recruit to a potential NBA first rounder

The recruiting shortcomings are certainly magnified during a season like this but let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here.

Advertisement
Would bet Watson winds up back at a DC area school. Georgetown, GW and George Mason all offered out of high school and Caputo is at GW now.

Casey I can see landing at a place like DePaul. Chris Holtmann just took over there and I'd imagine he will be bringing quite a few transfers in

Jakai needs to follow suit. Seems like a good kid but I don't see how he helps this team going forward.

If we're talking about inability to "play up to an expected level," that happens all the time with recruits. At every school. never thought High School recruiting was Coach Ls strong point --at Mason or here.

But ... getting two different teams to a Final Four is pretty good testament to getting the job done with transfers/JUCos and now Portal guys.

Advertisement
If we're talking about inability to "play up to an expected level," that happens all the time with recruits. At every school. never thought High School recruiting was Coach Ls strong point --at Mason or here.

But ... getting two different teams to a Final Four is pretty good testament to getting the job done with transfers/JUCos and now Portal guys.
Dont even try to use logic with that *** hat. Legit mentally handicapped

But it has proven that it is not sustainable. Especially when your entire 2022 HS recruiting class (Aire, Jovanovich, Watson and Casey) is no longer with the team after 2 years.
As important as Miller, Pack and Omier were, you still need guys like Wong on the team to build around.
You have to do both because portal guys are good but only in certain roles.
It's not like you are going to get a Dalton Knecht in the transfer portal every year. Even when you do, you still need a roster full of guys who are familiar with your system.
The transfer portal is for plug and play but you cannot build a tournament level roster through the transfer portal every year.

Advertisement
But it has proven that it is not sustainable. Especially when your entire 2022 HS recruiting class (Aire, Jovanovich, Watson and Casey) is no longer with the team after 2 years.
As important as Miller, Pack and Omier were, you still need guys like Wong on the team to build around.
You have to do both because portal guys are good but only in certain roles.
It's not like you are going to get a Dalton Knecht in the transfer portal every year. Even when you do, you still need a roster full of guys who are familiar with your system.
The transfer portal is for plug and play but you cannot build a tournament level roster through the transfer portal every year.
NC State just won the ACC tourney with an entire team of transfers save for Burns. Texas had to replace most of their elite 8 team from last year with transfers and are back in the tourney. Iowa State has historically been a haven for transfers. I’m sure there are more examples

Advertisement
Back