'23 MLB Draft Discussion

How do you see Hernandez fitting into our rotation? Saturday starter?
For sure a weekend starter. Don't think he would unseat Gage for the Friday role unless he keeps his same stuff and minor tweaks solves all of his control problems. The scouting report is that he has a great breaking ball but pitches behind in the count too often to use it as effectively as it could be.

He could be an all-conference caliber starter.

Advertisement
For sure a weekend starter. Don't think he would unseat Gage for the Friday role unless he keeps his same stuff and minor tweaks solves all of his control problems. The scouting report is that he has a great breaking ball but pitches behind in the count too often to use it as effectively as it could be.

He could be an all-conference caliber starter.
Would be big for us. Then let Rafe/Scinta/Torres battle it out for the Sunday spot. I actually like Chestnutt as our midweek guy. Got rocked a few times against good teams, but seemed pretty consistent against midweek competition. I’d prefer to not see him a ton out of the bullpen on weekends.

Where are we hearing or seeing (outside of the board), that Hernandez is heading to UM? I'm not doubting, because Costello was reported on the board before it was public. I'm just trying to find out how confident the poster is, because I agree this kid is really good.

Don't count out the Freshmen Crowder who was hurt and the incoming freshmen either.
Let's see how it works out. Ziehl might end the closer. Who knows???
The competition will be very good for all the starting spots and bullpen roles.

Where are we hearing or seeing (outside of the board), that Hernandez is heading to UM? I'm not doubting, because Costello was reported on the board before it was public. I'm just trying to find out how confident the poster is, because I agree this kid is really good.
This tracker from 247 still shows Hernandez as an addition. It also lists Shin as signed with TB, so looks updated.

Advertisement
Thanks. But I think we need to sweat it out until Aug 1, because he still may sign, correct?
The deadline is today at 5 pm. I highly doubt a late round picks signing info will come out immediately, but I'm guessing by late Wednesday or sometime during the day Thursday if his signing information hasn't been updated by then I would feel pretty confident in him making it to campus.

Advertisement
The deadline is today at 5 pm. I highly doubt a late round picks signing info will come out immediately, but I'm guessing by late Wednesday or sometime during the day Thursday if his signing information hasn't been updated by then I would feel pretty confident in him making it to campus.
I thought the deadline today was for top 10 rounds. I may be wrong.

Thanks. But I think we need to sweat it out until Aug 1, because he still may sign, correct?
The Reds appear to have spent their pool money plus the 5% already (any more pool allocations to Round 11 - 20 draft picks above the $150k, and they'd lose a 1st round pick next year). So, it looks like it's $150,000 max for Hernandez, otherwise, it seems he'll be a Cane if he can beat that next year.

Advertisement
Just saw this, when I brought that info to the board, it was straight from his father.

I haven't checked in today, the deadline, but I would be shocked if there was a last second change of mind.

Advertisement
Just saw this, when I brought that info to the board, it was straight from his father.

I haven't checked in today, the deadline, but I would be shocked if there was a last second change of mind.
Great news.
IMG_1868.jpeg

Pretty sure it's 5:00 ET today for all players drafted, unless they've used up their college eligibility and then they can sign any time until a week before next year's draft.
I believe they’ve reinstituted a draft and follow policy for late rounders.

Advertisement
Back