'23 MLB Draft Discussion

Hearing anything on Torres? Not sure if he’s coming back but has eligibility remaining.
Signed with Houston as a FA.

Weird off-season. Guys like that typically return if they can but they seem to be pushing them out and encouraging them to sign to make room.

But it doesn't look like we have a ton of options to take those spots.

Advertisement
Was Brian Walters expected to be a contributor coming in last year pre-injury? I wasn’t familiar with the expectations for him.

Walsh is going to be one of those lefties that just frustrates that **** out of teams if he can get his velo back to 90ish consistently.

Advertisement
Was Brian Walters expected to be a contributor coming in last year pre-injury? I wasn’t familiar with the expectations for him.
First appearance was the first close game of the year and he bridged to the closer.

2nd appearance was mid-week up 7-0 in the 6th inning when the starter came out. Maybe just a mid-week live action bullpen work. Idk.

We had no rhyme or reason to the way we used our bullpen (or starters for that matter) aside from who had the ball at the end of the game. But he appeared to be one of the top 3 arms out of the pen, in their eyes, to open the year.

I believe they’ve reinstituted a draft and follow policy for late rounders.
They did, but it's for JUCO players not late rounders, as I understand it. So, the question is - what is thedefinition of a JUCO player (Hernandez has already played 2 yrs of JUCO ball)?

Advertisement
And according to the Draft signing tracker I follow, 30% or an avg of 9 per round, are unsigned from Rounds 17 - 20 thru yesterday.

And according to the Draft signing tracker I follow, 30% or an avg of 9 per round, are unsigned from Rounds 17 - 20 thru yesterday.
The last few rounds like that are for backup plans. High upside types who you take there and throw a million + dollars to if something happens to one of your bonus babies up top.

The other scenario that happens is you take older players as org. filler and they decide to retire instead of sign for $10,000 or whatever.

There are 40 players in rounds 17-20 unsigned. 33 are HS or JC players who have quite a bit of leverage remaining or were the backup plans I spoke of.

The Cardinals took Cameron Johnson in the 20th round with no intention of signing him, but wanted to have a backup plan to throw money at if something happened up top unexpectedly.

Of the seven non-HS types, one is an Air Force player who wants to graduate from there. One is Tanner Witt, who was another backup plan, throw money at late arm for Texas. Derek Salata was a grad student who retired. Christian Little was another throw money at arm. DJ Uiagelelei was a joke pick as he's a QB for Oregon State. Kalae Harrison chose to play his senior year after a low-ball offer. Isaac Ayon, I do not know the story there.

Top-15 rounds = You're signing almost assuredly

> 15-rounds = Most likely signing, unless you're HS, then probably not

Advertisement
It would have been nice to land at least one of his teammates(Ross and Goldstein) from the portal. They really could have helped us with a power bat in the middle of the lineup.
Schanuel made some really nice defensive plays this weekend. Sound footwork.....

Advertisement
Back