2025 Recruiting

Would love to see the hometown kid stay in the 305! Hopefully, the Columbus ties will keep the #1 player in the country home. The state of Florida isn't just a football, baseball, soccer state any more.

Florida is well represented on that list. Florida has its share of great elite recruits and the Canes should try to get those local elite recruits. Unfortunately, There just isn’t enough of local recruits every year to fill the Canes roster. .

I was at a Coach L basketball camp a few years ago, and i asked one of his now former assistants (off the record) about not recruiting Florida. He didn‘t say they didn’t recruit locally, but he did (kind of) admit that Florida was not as much of a focus as the DC-Philadelphia-New York-New Jersey-Maryland - Virginia areas. I didn’t like hearing it, but after visiting those areas, i have to admit that Florida high school basketball is not Florida high school football—and its not even close.

IMHO, a lot of it starts with youth coaching. Optimist, middle school and high school coaching, as a whole, is a big step down in Florida. There are some good youth basketball coaches in Florida, but not enough . I have recently visited basketball tournaments in Florida and tournaments out of state. I must admit that it is true that basketball is played on a different level in those areas. Florida definitely has elite recruits, but not as many good players as a whole as in the Northeast and Atlantic areas. Even Georgia, California and Texas are much more fertile areas for basketball recruiting. Just look at the D-1 rosters in high level college basketball teams. Florida is underrepresented IMHO

i now agree that Coach L should focus on recruit out of state, but when a elite local recruit like Dewan Huell/Hernandez shows up, you go after him.

Advertisement
Florida is well represented on that list. Florida has its share of great elite recruits and the Canes should try to get those local elite recruits. Unfortunately, There just isn’t enough of local recruits every year to fill the Canes roster. .

I was at a Coach L basketball camp a few years ago, and i asked one of his now former assistants (off the record) about not recruiting Florida. He didn‘t say they didn’t recruit locally, but he did (kind of) admit that Florida was not as much of a focus as the DC-Philadelphia-New York-New Jersey-Maryland - Virginia areas. I didn’t like hearing it, but after visiting those areas, i have to admit that Florida high school basketball is not Florida high school football—and its not even close.

IMHO, a lot of it starts with youth coaching. Optimist, middle school and high school coaching, as a whole, is a big step down in Florida. There are some good youth basketball coaches in Florida, but not enough . I have recently visited basketball tournaments in Florida and tournaments out of state. I must admit that it is true that basketball is played on a different level in those areas. Florida definitely has elite recruits, but not as many good players as a whole as in the Northeast and Atlantic areas. Even Georgia, California and Texas are much more fertile areas for basketball recruiting. Just look at the D-1 rosters in high level college basketball teams. Florida is underrepresented IMHO

i now agree that Coach L should focus on recruit out of state, but when a elite local recruit like Dewan Huell/Hernandez shows up, you go after him.
The state of Florida has been producing elite level basketball prospects for over 10-15 years now. Not at the clip we produce football prospects but our state has been producing hoopers as good as any state except for probably Cali and Texas. By no means am I saying Miami should solely focus on the state. Nor am I saying that our state should be the top priority. All I’m saying is give it some attention. Year in and year out we’re watching the top prospects go to schools like Duke, Kentucky, fsu, Michigan, Memphis, etc because our staff does a poor job recruiting here. Our staff needs to do a better job of identifying the top talent early. Build that relationship with the prospect/family/coaches and at the very least that should give them a chance in the end. The way things sit now, kids aren’t even thinking about Miami.

The state of Florida has been producing elite level basketball prospects for over 10-15 years now. Not at the clip we produce football prospects but our state has been producing hoopers as good as any state except for probably Cali and Texas. By no means am I saying Miami should solely focus on the state. Nor am I saying that our state should be the top priority. All I’m saying is give it some attention. Year in and year out we’re watching the top prospects go to schools like Duke, Kentucky, fsu, Michigan, Memphis, etc because our staff does a poor job recruiting here. Our staff needs to do a better job of identifying the top talent early. Build that relationship with the prospect/family/coaches and at the very least that should give them a chance in the end. The way things sit now, kids aren’t even thinking about Miami.
Cue the crowd who brings up Vernon Carey jr as the counter argument to why we should ignore the state.

Advertisement

When I went over the rosters of this years Sweet 16, I don't think there was one Florida HS recruit of any note at all among the 190+ players on those rosters. Don't recall if I excluded the athletic factories like IMG, Monteverde with their out of state players or not. (I think I included them.) Probably just a down period and the luck of who made the Sweet 16 this cycle.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Coach L is all over him and his brother. Will be tough to keep them out of Durham. Won't be for lack of effort though.

It's great to hear. This is all I've ever wanted to see from Larranaga & staff. Duke may not be a lock for the twins though. I keep hearing parents (mom mainly) want them to blaze their own trail. Carlos loves being a Dookie and all, but seems to folks close to the family that kids will ultimately do their own thing. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cameron or both choose one of the alternatives (G-Leauge, Overtime, or pro) instead of college, if the right opportunity presented itself. Lot of talk about the NBA doing away with their age limit/restrictions for HSers by 2025.

Can’t imagine rich kids not opting for college
These guys aren't chasing the bag, but I'm sure it's a life long dream of theirs to get to the league. The way some folks are talking Cameron might be the #1 pick when he's draft eligible. Don't know anyone who'd walk away from that. By the way he put on a show tonight against OTE. Crazy stat line

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back