2024 OL Isendre “Papa” Ahfua

Status
Not open for further replies.
1689447151914.gif

Reel ‘im in big Joe!

Advertisement
No, that's not how it works here buddy.

When we get somebody, anybody but Joe gets credit.

Miss them? Joe's fckin fault.

Ahfua? Oline. Mario and Mirabal get the credit.

Thats quite the strawman you have built.

[BGCOLOR=initial]If UM gets a kid from the islands, I give 100% credit to Joe S. If a school wants any chance of getting the top Polynesian kids, it needs to either have a polynesian coach on staff or someone really familiar culture (like a Mormon who did h[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]is mission in Polynesia). Joe is that guy. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]My concern has been that Joe is an ace Polynesian recruiter, but not doing enough at the DT front, which kind of an important part of his DL coach job responsibilities. Taylor is brand new to recruiting so he has to learn the recruiting game, and my guess is he probably focuses more on DEs. Both share blame for not getting DTs, but I put more on Joe since he's the more experienced. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial] The way things looked from last year up to last week, I thought Joe should definitely be kept on staff but moved to an analyst job and titled "Director of Polynesian Recruiting", and Cristobal needed to bring in someone better at DT recruiting. But a lot has changed in a week. Now it looks like his pulling his weight at DT recruiting. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Were the DT recruiting woes totally Joe's fault? No, I think he's been handcuffed by UM not being willing to overpay for a premium position like DT (I believe @RVACane said he was aware of a couple elite DTs where UM had a fixed price in mind and wouldn't budge). Did[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial] Venables calling out Cristobal lead hi[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]m (Cristobal) to finally authorize paying the "suck tax" and paying above market NIL rates for DTs? Maybe. But whatever the reason, the last week or so has looked good for DT recruiting and Joe will deserve credit if he can close on Franklin (and hopefully one more elite DT since I'm being greedy) . [/BGCOLOR]

Last edited:
Thats quite the strawman you have built.

[BGCOLOR=initial]If UM gets a kid from the islands, I give 100% credit to Joe S. If a school wants any chance of getting the top Polynesian kids, it needs to either have a polynesian coach on staff or someone really familiar culture (like a Mormon who did performed his mission in Polynesia). Joe is that guy. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]My concern has been that Joe is an ace Polynesian recruiter, but not doing enough at the DT front, which kind of an important part of his DL coach job responsibilities. Taylor is brand new to recruiting so he has to learn the recruiting game, and my guess is he probably focuses more on DEs. Both share blame for not getting DTs, but I put more on Joe since he's the more experienced. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial] The way things looked from last year up to last week, I thought Joe should definitely be kept on staff but moved to an analyst job and titled "Director of Polynesian Recruiting", and Cristobal needed to bring in someone better at DT recruiting. But a lot has changed in a week. Now it looks like his pulling his weight at DT recruiting. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Were the DT recruiting woes totally Joe's fault? No, I think he's been handcuffed by UM not being willing to overpay for a premium position like DT (I believe @RVACane said he was aware of a couple elite DTs where UM had a fixed price in mind and wouldn't budge). Did[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial] Venables calling out Cristobal lead to him (Cristobal) to finally authorize paying the "suck tax" and paying above market NIL rates for DTs? Maybe. But whatever the reason, the last week or so has looked good for DT recruiting and Joe will deserve credit if he can close on Franklin (and hopefully one more elite DT since I'm being greedy) . [/BGCOLOR]
I’m aware of us making real offers and some kids taking it elsewhere for a match/ballpark. I don’t even know that we were low, it just wasn’t enough to move the needle. I think our brand value is lower than we thought.

That’s why I wasn’t criticizing Mario or Joe. And if the NIL guys didn’t want to break the bank on some guys we lost, that’s their right. I said that I hoped they would at least for 5-6 guys we desperately needed and for me JoJo was one who was critical. I think Ahfua is really important. I want the UGA CB and it looks like things are going well with some DL guys we landed and others we can land.

Advertisement
Is this real? I thought he was a Washington lock.

Advertisement
Advertisement
And here's where the character of the kid and where he truly wants to be matters. Or does the bag/bag game matter most to him? No way as an outsider to know where things truly stand. Would be a great addition.

Advertisement
And here's where the character of the kid and where he truly wants to be matters. Or does the bag/bag game matter most to him? No way as an outsider to know where things truly stand. Would be a great addition.
To clarify, which one is it if he picks us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back