2024 2024 DE Colin Simmons receives offer (commits to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas kids grow up dreaming of playing for Texas. Pulling a top Texas kid from Texas is close to impossible to do, especially when Texas went balls deep on the NIL for this kid.
I don’t know about that. UT has missed on tons of big names over the years. I think Texas kids grow up dreaming of which school will pay them the most.

Advertisement
1691696609256.gif

You nailed it. It’s frustrating and fascinating cause what are we even supposed to do?
The way I see it, only three options.

1) Stop capping an uncapped market

- Can’t have an allocated budget, this ain’t a salary sport. You have to adjust budget yearly based on variables that are constantly changing. Do you want to win or not?

2) Moneyball this ****

- If the answer to #1 is a hard pass, it’s time to start investing the money allocated properly. 300Ms facility being built but can’t add additional 1-2Ms to the recruiting budget? A freshman economics major could balance better than that.

3) Look in the mirror, and change expectations.

- The saddest of the three, but you have to bring it up. This whole “we’re gonna be on top, Miami will return to prominence, best DL class in history coming”… if you’re unwilling to pony up and go all in EACH YEAR, then stop talking like it. No shortcuts to the top. The lofty expectations (when you don’t want to write a blank check) do nothing but hurt recruiting, fans & national perception.

Glad the Miami staff predicted that they were going to recruit the best DL ever
Unfortunately this will go down as a Manny type blunder. I'm not certain where the rhetoric came from but the fact that they allowed the messaging of "Mario's taking DL personally", "Jason Taylor is the Brian Hartline of Defensive Line Recruiting" and "Defensive Line Class like last year's Offensive Line Class" is high level Manny Diaz mistake making.

Bluster with no results. Which is wild because Mario said he's the opposite. I'm someone still in the Mario will recruit camp but it'd be propaganda at this point to overlook not only how poor the results are but the conversation prior to the poor results being part of the issue.

And even Lightfoot was sold on all these guys that are going to be playing around him and how easy his job will be.

He and his family love JT but if there's no momentum at DE/DT.. at some point the kid is flipping to OSU and it won't be hard to sell on their end. That's just my $.02.
girl crying GIF

Reactions: jsy
Advertisement
So who are we getting as part of this big DL class this year?

In a recruiting year that was supposed to be heavy on the DL, we might only end up with:

Russell (productive player but a bit of a tweener)
Rudolph (205 pound DE)
Lightfoot (great prospect, but will have to hold off OsU until the end)
AJones (great prospect, but will have to hold off FSU until the end)

That's a disappointing DL class given how that position was targeted as a priority.

Reactions: jsy
Canes Collective has 75 of the 85 scholarship football players and all of the men’s basketball team except Pack who is still paid by lifewallet. Ruiz spent $15m in 2 years our other boosters picked up the tab on everyone else and are contributing millions more in NIL than planned to make up for Ruiz’s disappearance.

The boosters have spent seriously in the program since bringing $80m Mario and his $$$ staff(s), investments into locker room, football building, and training stuff and keeping us among the second tier of schools in NIL for the incoming class and among the highest paid current roster for legacy deals Ruiz s negotiated.

Boosters have been good. Our coaches and their mismanagement of the roster, schemes, and complete failure last year led to a suck tax for new guys AND current roster players like TVD who lost out on millions in future earnings with his draft stock drop from the mess last year.

how we perform next season is going to be WAY more important now that life wallet is on life support
Fire Dennis Smith and add his salary to the NIL budget!

- Can’t have an allocated budget, this ain’t a salary sport. You have to adjust budget yearly based on variables that are constantly changing. Do you want to win or not?

2) Moneyball this ****

- If the answer to #1 is a hard pass, it’s time to start investing the money allocated properly. 300Ms facility being built but can’t add additional 1-2Ms to the recruiting budget? A freshman economics major could balance better than that.

- The saddest of the three, but you have to bring it up. This whole “we’re gonna be on top, Miami will return to prominence, best DL class in history coming”… if you’re unwilling to pony up and go all in EACH YEAR, then stop talking like it. No shortcuts to the top. The lofty expectations (when you don’t want to write a blank check) do nothing but hurt recruiting, fans & national perception.

10000000%

Advertisement

2) Moneyball this ****

#3 is where im heading if it continues. I deluded myself for years believing lip service while we brought in mid classes one after the other. We are battling Stanford right now who dont even have a conference

I'm not as worried about DE. We've got an absolute haul there the last few classes

More worried about Justin Scott, Stone, Breland, Franklin, and holding onto Jones.

Personally, I think the $ from all of these misses is about to be dumped on Breland or Stone just to ensure that it keeps Lightfoot happy. I know folks are asking about that scenario where NIL is there and then we miss and it has to be allocated somewhere... I think it's those 2 guys and then there's always going to be a pile of $ there for Jeremiah Smith, just in case.
I will personally add to that pile for Jeremiah smith lol just saying

Reactions: Dre
The nil must have been funded by Miami Bitcoin. Seems one year and now it's work with what ya got.

Got to ask another serious question. The coaching budget could get slashed. Medicore results medicore pay. I'm sure it's a knee slapper of a story. But as a nobody it's weird AF.
That’s the Miami cycle. It was supposed to be different when Mario was hired. But Miami doesn’t understand that you have to invest year after year after year until you’re good enough to not have to pay the suck tax.

Lol @ guys talking about we won’t/shouldn’t overpay for a certain croot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

2) Moneyball this ****

Did the A’s hire someone from the Yankees in Money Ball?

2) Moneyball this ****

I think we’ve literally boxed ourselves in. Im not a mope and I think we’re closer to option 3 than we are to 1. 2. Is okay if Mario wins a few games he’s not supposed to win this season and that gives us some momentum. Problem is it’ll all come crashing down cause we won’t have a QB unless a god send hits the portal

I think we’ve literally boxed ourselves in. Im not a mope and I think we’re closer to option 3 than we are to 1. 2. Is okay if Mario wins a few games he’s not supposed to win this season and that gives us some momentum. Problem is it’ll all come crashing down cause we won’t have a QB unless a god send hits the portal

and Mario attacks the portal early and gets him…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back