2024 2024 DE Colin Simmons receives offer (commits to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
We don't. I've been saying it for a while now. Obviously Ruiz has cooled and Canes Connection has taken over and numbers are steady but we've been surpassed.

$10M budget/85 kids is roughly $120k per kid. Some make more, some less. I will say, their focus was on keeping the current roster in tact and adding proven transfers. Cohen, Lee, TVD, Taylor, James Williams, Kinchens, Mauigoa, Okunlola, Kelly, Mesidor, etc. were not cheap to sign and to keep around. I may be missing a few of the higher ones but I would say 15 kids are probably close to taking up half of the NIL budget. Those 10 included in that 15. So $5M for 70 kids - now you're talking $70k per kid and that's where most HS offers are going to fall until they get in and prove they're worth more.

I don't hate that strategy.. we don't have money to waste on guys that aren't guarantees or proven in what you're getting.

Interestingly, Redding was part of a recent interview (I think Manny's Atlantic article) and the question to players was "what are you doing with your NIL money?" and Redding's answer was "I don't get an NIL". Thought it was odd.

Advertisement
We don't. I've been saying it for a while now. Obviously Ruiz has cooled and Canes Connection has taken over and numbers are steady but we've been surpassed.

$10M budget/85 kids is roughly $120k per kid. Some make more, some less. I will say, their focus was on keeping the current roster in tact and adding proven transfers. Cohen, Lee, TVD, Taylor, James Williams, Kinchens, Mauigoa, Okunlola, Kelly, Mesidor, etc. were not cheap to sign and to keep around. I may be missing a few of the higher ones but I would say 15 kids are probably close to taking up half of the NIL budget. Those 10 included in that 15. So $5M for 70 kids - now you're talking $70k per kid and that's where most HS offers are going to fall until they get in and prove they're worth more.

I don't hate that strategy.. we don't have money to waste on guys that aren't guarantees or proven in what you're getting.
So basically, having to spend to keep players currently on the roster reduced the budget for new recruits? I don’t think that aspect has been mentioned much, if at all.

Advertisement
Interestingly, Redding was part of a recent interview (I think Manny's Atlantic article) and the question to players was "what are you doing with your NIL money?" and Redding's answer was "I don't get an NIL". Thought it was odd.
I know of a kid at Iowa who doesn’t get anything.

I saw a poster say this Mario Cristobal situation is a catch 22 and I couldn’t agree more. Cause eventually we SHOULD overspend so that you don’t have to do it later. But try to convince that to a bunch of guys who paid a ace recruiter 80 of them thangs
comes w the contract. he is an elite recruiter and we paid elite money for one, but youre right, its hard to tell the money people who just put up that we need more bc we cant land elite kids

The market is what the market is.
Same with ppl saying houses are overpriced. No, houses at what the ppl decide to pay and plenty of ppl with money are lying the current market rates.

Same with recruiting. There is no overpaying. You pay what you can afford and the market decides that.

Either way this kid lives in Dallas miami would’ve always been a long shot so Mario getting us to the table is huge. We are making moves

Sounds like that 10 million dollar number needs to increase. Obviously it’s not my money but what was a strong NIL budget last year might not be this year. I was under the impression that our multiple billionaires would be going all out to help Mario. Maybe they are and this is an unfair post. They are spending money elsewhere. But this doesn’t sound like enough money to compensate for the Suck Tax.
$15M per year puts you back around the top. It's not drastic. HS kids bust and these guys signing contracts with incoming freshman that bust, can't handle the money and lose their motivation, or just go crazy when they get to school (Texas A&M 2022 class for example) won't make it long. They'll stop investing at some point or pivot to portal/proven guys only. The QB market is already trending that direction.

The better off we are landing "under the radar" kids and being smart in recruiting and identifying, we can sustain. Zo puts us in an advantageous spot there and you see that by the offers a lot of our 3 stars end up getting.

But these schools like Texas, Alabama, Georgia, etc. that have half a roster of former top 100 players can't offer all of them $1M a year or even $500k a year. Think about it.. 40 players formerly top 100 (10 per class - Texas and Georgia both surpassed that in 2023 class) - even if they all made $1M over 4 years.. that is $10M for not even half a roster or factoring in the $ figure that QBs are getting compared to everyone else and not considering a former 3 star developing into a stud and having to pay them.

$150k per kid gets you a **** of a squad. Not even $15M total budget. We're not far off. Not sure who else can or will step-up.

Advertisement
"The Best DLine Class in The Nation"/"This year is personal" for DLine.
1691694950244.png

If he caught even half his targets against A&M last year, I bet he would have a deal.

Advertisement
comes w the contract. he is an elite recruiter and we paid elite money for one, but youre right, its hard to tell the money people who just put up that we need more bc we cant land elite kids
Doesn’t change my opinion that we should break the bank a few times on true game changers. Pay it forward and you won’t have to later. Success drops prices

What if after all this he just says f^ck it and comes here lol

@Mklein13 will give him free beer for all four years. That’s a pretty good NIL package.
The **** you think I look like? I'm not forking over 4 years worth of free beer.

I'll buy a few rounds but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back