2024 2024 DE Colin Simmons receives offer (commits to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
#1 we've never in this nil gave a player more than there worth. #2 I wasn't talking about any of that. The comment was about why people are hesitant to share much anymore.
It’s a shame that the teenage girls on this site have ruined it for those of us who really appreciate what is shared. For instance I sure would love to know what’s really going on with us and the ACC/B1G but understand why nobody wants to share.

It’s a shame that the teenage girls on this site have ruined it for those of us who really appreciate what is shared. For instance I sure would love to know what’s really going on with us and the ACC/B1G but understand why nobody wants to share.
IMO it’s better recruitment behind the scenes stuff is kept quiet rather risk getting opportunities blown up. I would also like to know what’s going on with us and the ACC/B1G though.

Advertisement
Looking Golden State Warriors GIF by NBA

@Brooklyndee what is this, never give a player more than he is worth? For me its what is he worth to your program. There are no salary caps or wage structure. When UF man were whining last year i said it, ill say it for us now. U not returning to prominence on the cheap. Of course there is reasonable and unreasonable. But we been dog dung. So we either wanna win or we gonna whine. The choices.

Not talking about any specific target but this whole conversation about “worth” is very subjective. Not overpaying is becoming an excuse. If A&M,FSU,UF, etc are willing to pay top 100 recruit X amount of dollars, I would argue that is their worth as this is the freest market with no caps (you’re only limited by your own pot of $).

Advertisement
Not talking about any specific target but this whole conversation about “worth” is very subjective. Not overpaying is becoming an excuse. If A&M,FSU,UF, etc are willing to pay top 100 recruit X amount of dollars, I would argue that is their worth as this is the freest market with no caps (you’re only limited by your own pot of $).
We absolutely need to overpay some if we're trying to get to playoff level caliber

We absolutely need to overpay some if we're trying to get to playoff level caliber

Cycle isn’t over so we’ll see what happens but if you aren’t willing to spend, you end up with a class in the late teens with a bunch of eval types.

Or the alternative is the recruits don’t want to play for this staff/program after what they witnessed last year but that hasn’t stopped other suck programs from landing commitments.

Advertisement
It’s easy to say “ just pay more for everyone when it’s not your money or you haven’t paid anything in“. You can’t just throw money at every recruit and think that’ll last. It also doesn’t guarantee long term success.

At some point most high level kids want to see a program thats winning , developing players , getting a lot of guys drafted and putting them in schemes to make them successful. On top of that we’ve lost a good amount of kids when we had much better offers. But people here don’t know that so they can just spew the “ we’re broke” narrative and make the same repetitive jokes.

The teams that continue to be the most successful / consistent in recruiting are the ones that are the most successful / consistent on Saturdays. Everyone else just comes and goes. Fading in and out. That’s not an excuse , that’s just facts.

If Miami says they aren’t concerned and are sticking to their game plan we’ll eventually know if the game plan was correct or not. Tbh I feel better with that answer than “ omg , what’s happening ? Just throw money at everyone, we’re losing guys“. At no point have I ever got that vibe or feel. They’ve remained the same even if I have been looking side eyed lol.

Isn't a player's worth ultimately determined by the maximum amount a team is willing to pay?
their worth is what the market deems it to be. it doesn't matter if you, Mario, or anyone else disagrees. if the market says theyre a 10 mill player and thats the offers theyre getting, then that is their market worth. if youre offering 2 bc you think hes not worth 10, but th market is saying hes worth 10, then youre not paying their worth

Advertisement
It’s not really overpaying if others are paying it and paying more for every target. Like @Canes Legacy said, that’s actually the market as there is no salary cap.
What if your offer is as good or better as some schools ? Just keep paying more and outbidding yourself for every kid ? I have news for people thats not smart and has no longevity. We aren’t broke but we aren’t balling on that level and few are. What UF is doing this class won’t last. Especially with no long term plan or success. What they’re doing is desperation especially after their NIL **** show last year.

Fact is we’ve went high level recruiting this year and into even deeper waters than last year. **** near every top kid on our board was a national elite recruit. To play in that section of the pool you better have a lot going for yourself. You aren’t in the running or the top threes of any of those guys if you are “ broke “.

It’s easy to say “ just pay more for everyone when it’s not your money or you haven’t paid anything in“. You can’t just throw money at every recruit and think that’ll last. It also doesn’t guarantee long term success.

At some point most high level kids want to see a program thats winning , developing players , getting a lot of guys drafted and putting them in schemes to make them successful. On top of that we’ve lost a good amount of kids when we had much better offers. But people here don’t know that so they can just spew the “ we’re broke” narrative and make the same repetitive jokes.

The teams that continue to be the most successful / consistent in recruiting are the ones that are the most successful / consistent on Saturdays. Everyone else just comes and goes. Fading in and out. That’s not an excuse , that’s just facts.

If Miami says they aren’t concerned and are sticking to their game plan we’ll eventually know if the game plan was correct or not. Tbh I feel better with that answer than “ omg , what’s happening ? Just throw money at everyone, we’re losing guys“. At no point have I ever got that vibe or feel. They’ve remained the same even if I have been looking side eyed lol.

I appreciate this post. The point about spending other people's money and asking others to contribute more is well taken. Whatever the budget is, fans that aren't boosters/contributing to NIL are stuck with that number and should probably be thankful we even have that much. This is still a fresh market and will take some time to even out regardless.

Besides that, I had a couple thoughts reading your post. First, if consistently showing success on the field and elevating players into the NFL is critical to recruiting (I agree with you that it is), why was/is this staff so confident it could secure a great class after going 5-7? Did they underestimate the impact of 5-7 and the negative recruiting?

I'm having trouble accepting the "we're not concerned" stuff from UM. I agree I wouldn't want them to be panicking, but I also think continuing forward with a recruiting plan that, to date this class, isn't working, shows either stubbornness or a lack of self-awareness. That's not much better than panic, IMO.

I appreciate this post. The point about spending other people's money and asking others to contribute more is well taken. Whatever the budget is, fans that aren't boosters/contributing to NIL are stuck with that number and should probably be thankful we even have that much. This is still a fresh market and will take some time to even out regardless.

Besides that, I had a couple thoughts reading your post. First, if consistently showing success on the field and elevating players into the NFL is critical to recruiting (I agree with you that it is), why was/is this staff so confident it could secure a great class after going 5-7? Did this underestimate the impact of 5-7 and the negative recruiting?

I'm having trouble accepting the "we're not concerned" stuff from UM. I agree I wouldn't want them to be panicking, but I also think continuing forward with a recruiting plan that, to date this class, isn't working, shows either stubbornness or a lack of self-awareness. That's not much better than panic, IMO.
Agree. But Mario has a long history of recruiting why should he change after a handful of misses on big fish? Especially in early August. He trusts his history of recruiting success even if we have 20 years of doubt.

Is the "sticking to our game plan" a way of saying, we know we sucked on the field last year but we're going to bet on ourselves having a much better season this year?

Basically, they're still very confident in their ability to recruit elite players especially with the monetary resources they have. So the plan is to keep the faith with their recruiting strategy while pairing that with a much improved season. The hope being that a strong season should start to turn the tide on the recruiting front and they can still push to finish with a top 10 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back