2023 Recruiting

Presumably the team will be active again in the transfer market. Losing a lot of veteran minutes, but landing some length depth should easily keep this a tournament team with great upside.

Advertisement
I do think Walker has improved significantly (he was a turnover machine and defensive turnstile 2 years ago)… but he’s still miles away from playing the game of basketball at a level commensurate with his athletic ability.
I disagree with you on this one. To me, Walker has regressed. He's useless as a rebounder, not a good defender, and takes bad shots.

I disagree with you on this one. To me, Walker has regressed. He's useless as a rebounder, not a good defender, and takes bad shots.
If he didn’t take bad shots I would say he’s marginally a net positive player but considering his shot selection is horrific I have to say he’s marginally a net negative.

I also agree that he’s regressed. In my opinion he thinks too much and that’s lead to his regression.

Unfortunately we have nothing better so hope he realizes soon that him pulling up off the dribble like he’s 2011 Austin Rivers at Duke isn’t good for this team.

If he went out there and did his job like Harlond and Joseph do this team would have a better bench. I will give him credit though… He’s picked up his play over last 2 weeks.

If he didn’t take bad shots I would say he’s marginally a net positive player but considering his shot selection is horrific I have to say he’s marginally a net negative.

I also agree that he’s regressed. In my opinion he thinks too much and that’s lead to his regression.

Unfortunately we have nothing better so hope he realizes soon that him pulling up off the dribble like he’s 2011 Austin Rivers at Duke isn’t good for this team.

If he went out there and did his job like Harlond and Joseph do this team would have a better bench. I will give him credit though… He’s picked up his play over last 2 weeks.
He made good shot selection on Monday. I think they drilled into him to stop taking 3s.

Advertisement

Other than a slight improvement in turnovers as compared to the last two years (and a very slight improvement in 2P%), the stats say you are correct. Rebounds and assists are notably awful this year.

I forgot that he was playing 26 min/game his sophomore year. He’s down to under 10 min/game this year.

Still hoping that the lightbulb goes on for him. He didn’t transfer last year because L is still trying to develop him.

Walker needs to get his act together before the tourney starts, cause he needs to be ready incase Omier gets in early foul trouble

Advertisement
imho the regression is a natural consequence of the reduced playing time.
I imagine it’s hard to play with confidence when you know you will be yanked for making mistakes.

imho the regression is a natural consequence of the reduced playing time.
I imagine it’s hard to play with confidence when you know you will be yanked for making mistakes.

To be fair the regression has been minimal. He was a turnover machine in his sophomore year, his 3P% was still abysmal, his FG% was 42%, and he only averaged 1APG off 26 minutes per game. He did rebound appreciably better at 4.7 RPG in his sophomore year. My memory is that he was also a huge defensive liability his sophomore year.

So I don’t think his regression is due to a lack of PT. I think his lack of PT is due to Jordan Miller joining the team combined with a lack of expected improvement.

I think Coach L gave Walker the chance to win that fifth starter job and he failed the audition. I say that because I'm sure Coach L realized we are a small team overall and a 6'9, athletic player was preferable to a 6'5 athlete.

Unfortunately, Walker still features a game far different than what his height and athleticism would seem to dictate. We don't need him jacking outside shots; we need him to defend and rebound inside. Apparently, those skills are not in his wheelhouse.

Like it or not, Walker is still a key cog on this year's team. As we saw in the UNC game, if Omier gets saddled with fouls, Walker is his "replacement." He played OK in that role so ... we can hope.

Advertisement
I think Coach L gave Walker the chance to win that fifth starter job and he failed the audition. I say that because I'm sure Coach L realized we are a small team overall and a 6'9, athletic player was preferable to a 6'5 athlete.

Unfortunately, Walker still features a game far different than what his height and athleticism would seem to dictate. We don't need him jacking outside shots; we need him to defend and rebound inside. Apparently, those skills are not in his wheelhouse.

Like it or not, Walker is still a key cog on this year's team. As we saw in the UNC game, if Omier gets saddled with fouls, Walker is his "replacement." He played OK in that role so ... we can hope.
He appears to be good with his role. He was having a great time in the student section after the game.

Advertisement
He appears to be good with his role. He was having a great time in the student section after the game.
Good to hear. Thuis team seems to really enjoy playing together!

Walker doesn't seem to have lost ground to any member of the most recent recruiting class. Don't know whether that's good or bad.

Be interesting to see how Aire and Nwoko fare this Fall competing for big man minutes. Both came out of good prep programs. Anyone have a feel on how they might compare at this stage (a bit unfair as Aire will have a whole season in the program)?

The 2022 class is still a mystery as we really have very little to base any eval of Watson, Casey, Aire, etc., no less Jakai and Danilo. None of them, for a variety of reasons, has had a real shot at standing out. Casey must stand out over Watson and Aire in practices but ... he's still been brought along very slowly.

Advertisement
Back