2023 Dream Class

Have there been manny good QB’s recently that came from Michigan?

I don’t really keep up with Michigan HS recruits the same way I do for FL, TX, CA, AZ, NV etc...

But I can’t really remember the last good QB to come from Michigan.
Drew Henson. He was the guy who kept someone named Brady on the bench. And we may never have heard of Brady had Henson not taken a contract with the Yankees. Then he flamed out of baseball, got signed by the Cowboys and flamed out there as well.

Advertisement
I have no idea how realistic this class is as of now but I like OP's optimism, he shall not stand accused of mopery.

Drew Henson. He was the guy who kept someone named Brady on the bench. And we may never have heard of Brady had Henson not taken a contract with the Yankees. Then he flamed out of baseball, got signed by the Cowboys and flamed out there as well.
**** it’s been 24 years since the State of Michigan has had produced a noteworthy HS QB...

Sheesh.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** it’s been 24 years since the State of Michigan has had produced a noteworthy HS QB...

Sheesh.
Pretty much. MI really doesn't produce a lot of football players. Basketball and hockey are the top sports. Which is why U of Michigan football recruits so hard out of state; northeast, Cali, and Ohio. Fun fact that the Ohio people hate but U of Michigan's 2 heisman trophy winners are both from Ohio; Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson.

I don’t really keep up with Michigan HS recruits the same way I do for FL, TX, CA, AZ, NV etc...

Michigan is a garbage HS football state. Woodson, Grbac, Moeller, Schembechler, and Howard are all from Ohio. Need I say more?

Pretty much. MI really doesn't produce a lot of football players. Basketball and hockey are the top sports. Which is why U of Michigan football recruits so hard out of state; northeast, Cali, and Ohio. Fun fact that the Ohio people hate but U of Michigan's 2 heisman trophy winners are both from Ohio; Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson.
Hah, you beat me to it.

Shane Morris who went to Michigan was a national recruit from the state but obv flamed out. D'Wan Mathis was also from there and... yeah. Not a great history lol.

The best was prob Devin Gardner who was a top 5 QB recruit and started a few years at Michigan and I think is in the top 5 in some passing/total offense categories there. but I'm not sure how good you'd say he really was.

Advertisement
Shane Morris who went to Michigan was a national recruit from the state but obv flamed out. D'Wan Mathis was also from there and... yeah. Not a great history lol.

The best was prob Devin Gardner who was a top 5 QB recruit and started a few years at Michigan and I think is in the top 5 in some passing/total offense categories there. but I'm not sure how good you'd say he really was.
Lol, average to below average college qb.

Then there was Drew Henson, who was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in 1997 and likely the most hyped football prospect ever from that state.

Stayed home and signed with Michigan and Lloyd Carr and Co. did everything they could to give Henson the starting job (he also was a highly-rated baseball prospect and the Wolverine coaches worried he would pick up and head that direction)

Crazy thing was even with that pedigree he struggled to beat out some lowly rated and not very athletic kid from the Bay Area.

Henson became QB1 as a junior after the Cali QB left (and barely got drafted btw), but injuries were an issue and he ended up signing with the Yankees for $17M before his senior season in Ann Arbor.

Washed out of baseball and had a cup of coffee for the Cowboys as Vinnie T's backup in 2004.

TL/DR version: Does Michigan high school football suck?

Yeah, it pretty much seems like it does :LOL:

Last edited:

Shane Morris was the last hyped up guy I remember and he was a massive bust. D’Wan Mathis too.

Advertisement
Actually, Brady kept Henson -- who was the anointed one -- on the bench.

Most if not all the DL you posted are edge guys imo. We are gonna recruit other DTs who are bigger already. Our inside talent is really lacking in depth on the DL and along with the OL is likely one of Mario's big area to address to hold up against playoff type teams starting with Clemson.
Probably right I could see them moving inside though. Who’s our biggest targets at interior DL so far for this cycle?

So we're gonna have a recruiting class like TAMU this year?
That's setting yourself up for failure.
Well it is called a dream class for a reason. Just being optimistic here. Sure we probably won’t land all these guys. But I do expect a Top5 class at the bare minimum. Just look at what he did at Oregon in terms of recruiting and that’s without a hotbed of talent in his backyard.

Advertisement
Back