2023 5-star CB Mitchell puts Canes in top 10, speaks on UM visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2023 Thompson (AL) 5-star CB Tony Mitchell made the trip to South Florida two weekends back to take part in his friend and teammate 2022 4-star CB Trequon Fegans’ commitment ceremony, in which Fegans pledged to the Miami Hurricanes.

“Trequon’s like my brother, me and him hangout like every day, at football practice or wherever,” Mitchell said. “We have a great bond between us and he told me to come check out Miami and that it was a real nice place.”

Before and after the commitment, Mitchell was able to visit the Miami campus for the first time and meet some of the UM staff, including Hurricanes’ defensive backs coaches Travaris Robinson and DeMarcus Van Dyke.

“Since I’ve been there, it’s been real good (with Miami), it’s a place I could see myself going,” Mitchell said. “[The visit] was good. It was about getting to see the campus the first time, meeting coach T-Rob and DVD in person and getting to see the dorms that are on campus.”

The 6’2” 180-pound corner prospect says he’s primarily been in contact with Robinson and Mitchell sees him as a coach he could play for in the future.

“We’ve got a good relationship,” Mitchell said of Robinson. “He’s a great coach on the field, and off the field, he’s going to help you become a man, teach you right from wrong. I think he’s a great person.”

Following his UM visit, Mitchell released a list of his top 10 schools last week, which included the Canes along with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, Oregon, and FSU. Although he has now narrowed his many options, Mitchell says not to expect a commitment in the coming months; however, he does have certain criteria in mind when it comes time to choose a program.

“I don’t see myself committing anytime soon, I’m just going to take my time with it,” Mitchell said. “I’m just going to play it by ear, whenever I feel the time is right is when it will come… I want somewhere I can have a good relationship with the coaches, I want a very ‘family’ type of environment. I want to enjoy the college outside of football, because anything could happen, I could end up not playing anymore (because of injury). I also want great academics and a chance to play early.”

Including the Canes, the Thompson star has also made summer visits to Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, and FSU, and Mitchell spoke about his experience in Tallahassee last month.

“It was great getting to see the coaches for the first time in person since we couldn’t have visits for over a year because of COVID,” Mitchell said. “It was my first time there and it was a camp – I just did some drills, I didn’t really do too much… Coach (Marcus) Woodson is a good coach and so is coach (Mike) Norvell. It’s very family-based there.”

As a sophomore in 2020, Mitchell recorded 82 tackles, 4 INT, 8 PBU, 1FF, 1 FR, and 2 TD’s for the Warriors.

“Going forward, I’m just really trying to improve everything – getting stronger, faster, trying to perfect my technique,” Mitchell said. “I’m just working at everything trying to get better at every aspect of my game.”

Advertisement
2023 Thompson (AL) 5-star CB Tony Mitchell made the trip to South Florida two weekends back to take part in his friend and teammate 2022 4-star CB Trequon Fegans’ commitment ceremony, in which Fegans pledged to the Miami Hurricanes.

“Trequon’s like my brother, me and him hangout like every day, at football practice or wherever,” Mitchell said. “We have a great bond between us and he told me to come check out Miami and that it was a real nice place.”

Before and after the commitment, Mitchell was able to visit the Miami campus for the first time and meet some of the UM staff, including Hurricanes’ defensive backs coaches Travaris Robinson and DeMarcus Van Dyke.

“Since I’ve been there, it’s been real good (with Miami), it’s a place I could see myself going,” Mitchell said. “[The visit] was good. It was about getting to see the campus the first time, meeting coach T-Rob and DVD in person and getting to see the dorms that are on campus.”

The 6’2” 180-pound corner prospect says he’s primarily been in contact with Robinson and Mitchell sees him as a coach he could play for in the future.

“We’ve got a good relationship,” Mitchell said of Robinson. “He’s a great coach on the field, and off the field, he’s going to help you become a man, teach you right from wrong. I think he’s a great person.”

Following his UM visit, Mitchell released a list of his top 10 schools last week, which included the Canes along with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, Oregon, and FSU. Although he has now narrowed his many options, Mitchell says not to expect a commitment in the coming months; however, he does have certain criteria in mind when it comes time to choose a program.

“I don’t see myself committing anytime soon, I’m just going to take my time with it,” Mitchell said. “I’m just going to play it by ear, whenever I feel the time is right is when it will come… I want somewhere I can have a good relationship with the coaches, I want a very ‘family’ type of environment. I want to enjoy the college outside of football, because anything could happen, I could end up not playing anymore (because of injury). I also want great academics and a chance to play early.”

Including the Canes, the Thompson star has also made summer visits to Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, and FSU, and Mitchell spoke about his experience in Tallahassee last month.

“It was great getting to see the coaches for the first time in person since we couldn’t have visits for over a year because of COVID,” Mitchell said. “It was my first time there and it was a camp – I just did some drills, I didn’t really do too much… Coach (Marcus) Woodson is a good coach and so is coach (Mike) Norvell. It’s very family-based there.”

As a sophomore in 2020, Mitchell recorded 82 tackles, 4 INT, 8 PBU, 1FF, 1 FR, and 2 TD’s for the Warriors.

“Going forward, I’m just really trying to improve everything – getting stronger, faster, trying to perfect my technique,” Mitchell said. “I’m just working at everything trying to get better at every aspect of my game.”

Cane nuff said 🙌🏾®️💯🔥🔥

fishing marlin GIF by The Telegraph

****, T-Rob!!!! Big game fishing

Advertisement
Advertisement

Money mitch I like the nickname

Great writeup. I love the position we're in for 2023 and future classes.

TRob is a game changer for Manny. All the other coaches and staff members are made better by being with him in "The Room Where it Happens".

Advertisement
Although I don’t doubt T-Robs ability to develop, its really imperative that we develop both Rogers and Fegans IMO. We don’t recruit those areas well and if we want create a real pipeline, we need these kids to ball out.

Although I don’t doubt T-Robs ability to develop, its really imperative that we develop both Rogers and Fegans IMO. We don’t recruit those areas well and if we want create a real pipeline, we need these kids to ball out.

While I 100% agree that we need a guy who can both recruit AND develop, I also believe steel sharpens steel. A development coach's job is 1000x easier if he has James Williams, Kinchens and a bunch of 4/5 stars from 2022 and 2023 all practicing against the Brashards, George and Brinsons of the world to see who starts on each side,

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back