2023 4-star ATH Webb talks reconnecting with UM, decommitting from UGA

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last week, 2023 Trinity Christian Academy (FL) 4-star ATH Treyaun Webb was re-offered by the current UM staff under head coach Manny Diaz after first landing a bid three years back under former head coach Mark Richt.

“My coach hit me up and told me coach Rob Likens had told him that I had an offer again,” Webb said. “[Likens] said he loved my film, he said he loved my game, and that he wanted to continue to build a relationship (with me).”

Originally offered in 7th grade by then-Canes TE coach Todd Hartley, Webb was UM's first offer in the 2023 class; however, while Webb said contact with him and Miami never completely fell off, it has had lulls over the years. Going forward, though, the Canes seem to be looking to establish consistent communication with the 6’0” 190-pound prospect.

“It was kind of quiet because coach Hartley was the one that had offered me and he had left,” Webb said of UM. “So when coach Hartley left, I still had Miami coaches like coach (DeMarcus) Van Dyke and coach (Mike) Rumph coming over to the school to recruit me and some of our other guys. So the coaches were still around, but it was kind of quiet besides that. Now that the new coaches like my film and my size, they are coming after me again.”

Webb mainly played running back for TCA this past season, but has also been talked about as a potential WR or DB at the next level. From Miami’s perspective, they just want to get Webb on the roster and figure the rest out later.

“It’s more of, from an athleticism standpoint, [Miami] said my athleticism jumps off on film,” Webb said. “Basically, they just want me in their program, it doesn’t matter what I play – running back, wide receiver, DB – they just want me there. That’s kind of how it is with all the schools recruiting me.”

Does he have a preference between playing offense or defense in college?

“I don’t have a preference, I just want to see how my body fills out my senior year, that will give me a better look of what I’ll play in college,” Webb said. “But right now, I’m up in the air about it.”

From Webb’s point of view, the UM program is an attractive place to spend his next four years for a few reasons.

“Obviously, the culture there, it speaks for itself – the crib, playing for Miami,” Webb said. “I just love everything down there – the coaches, the atmosphere, playing in South Florida, the competition. I love to compete, and that’s what Miami is, it’s all about competing.”

Not long after landing his Miami offer back in May of 2018, Webb was able to visit Coral Gables with his 7-on-7 team.

“I loved the campus, the campus is beautiful,” Webb said of UM. “Everything is close together, so it’s not a long walk to stuff. And then the facilities were amazing. I basically got to visit the facilities, see the whole locker room, it was kind of unique.”

In part due to his long-time relationship with Hartley, who is now with the Georgia Bulldogs, Webb actually originally committed to UGA back in November of 2019 before backing off that pledge a few weeks ago.

“Coach Hartley is like a second dad to me. He’s been recruiting me since I was 12 years old, that was my first offer,” Webb said. “So it’s like a father-son connection with him. I just needed to strongly weigh my options to make sure I made the best decision for me.”

Immediately after opening up his recruitment, Webb released a top 6 group that included UGA, Ohio State, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, and Penn State. After narrowing down his list, though, Webb admits the group is fluid going forward and can still change.

“My recruitment is far from over right now, any school can come in and make things a little interesting,” Webb said. “I’m looking at all schools, definitely Miami can get into my top group. I’m trying to get my recruitment under control so I can make a final decision at least by the end of my junior year going into my senior year. Senior year I don’t want any distractions, I just want to focus on my team.”

Webb has visited both Georgia and UF multiple times, and he is trying to visit a couple schools once the dead period is over this coming April. He also detailed some factors he’ll be weighing when it comes time to make his decision.

“I’m looking at how [schools] do academically, how they treat their alumni once they leave,” Webb said. “Obviously, the loyalty and effort in showing that they want me. Then how comfortable I am at that university when I’m away from home.”

Already considered one of the top prospects in the 2023 cycle, Webb was recently ranked as the #32 overall player in his class in the 247Sports initial rankings for 2023, and the TCA star gave his thoughts on how his talent is viewed by the recruiting industry.

“Obviously with the rankings and the stars, the hype comes with it,” Webb said. “People will see me at an event and try to make a name off me. But I just embrace it, I don’t let it get to my head. To be honest, the rankings don’t speak for how you play on the field and once you get to college, the rankings are out the window. So I don’t really think about it too much.”

As a sophomore in 2020, Webb fought through injury to record 837 rushing yards (6.8 ypc) and 12 TD’s in 10 games for the state champion Conquerors.

“I felt like I did pretty good last year,” Webb said. “I had an injury season, I missed two or three games. I still have time to improve before college. I want to work on my balance as a RB, little things here or there - getting my body right, working on my stability, working on my durability… As a corner, I’m a smart player, long and physical, I can run with any receiver. It’s all about technique at corner, technique outweighs everything, so I feel like I have the technique part down pat.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
WLB/SS/STRIKER money position if he's physical and as good as he says he is at DB
Striker or ss I think If defense. WLB if he bulks up. He’s versatile af though and I could see him as an all purpose running back. Would be a huge get for us

Advertisement
Back