2022 S Flagg talks Hurricanes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2022 Booker T. Washington (FL) S Semaj Flagg earned an offer from the Miami Hurricanes last fall from safeties coach Ephraim Banda.

“That was just always something I was looking forward to,” Flagg said of the UM offer. “Miami, that’s where I’m from. It was a great experience for me getting that offer.”

The bid came after Flagg attended a UM practice, something the talented safety paid close attention to so he could get a better feel for how the program operates.

“I was paying attention to the way they line up, the way the practice was set up – I liked it,” Flagg said. “Coach Banda coaches with a lot of intensity, he’s very hyped with it when he’s out there. That’s what I like about him.”

While Flagg admits his relationship with Miami is still in the beginning stages, he says he is looking forward to getting to know more about the program in the near future when the NCAA restrictions on contact with 2022 recruits are relaxed this fall.

“I’m still a class of 2022 player, so I can’t talk to them as much, but I know there’s no love lost there,” Flagg said of UM. “It’s a place that gives me that ‘home’ feeling. It being a private school, it’s perfect for me. Education is important, I’m looking to get into engineering.”

Thus far, Flagg has only visited Miami, and his planned spring and summer visits were cancelled by the coronavirus shutdowns. Schools such as Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Buffalo, and FAU have continued to keep in touch with Flagg and are pushing him to visit whenever the campus lockdowns ease up.

“It’s been tough dealing with the shutdowns, but my recruiting process hasn’t really slowed down,” Flagg said. “I’ve still been keeping in contact with coaches. Probably sometime next offseason is when I’ll decide.”

Flagg was limited in 2019, as a left shoulder injury sidelined him for 5 games during his sophomore season, but he says he is fully healed now and ready to start his junior year after making the transfer to Booker T. Washington over the offseason from Monsignor Pace.

“Nobody can move sideline-to-sideline like me,” Flagg said. “At 6-2, 189, nobody at that size is moving as fast as me. My speed is what sets me apart and allows me to cover the whole field. Next year is going to be a big year for me, a breakout year for me.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back