2022 IMG 4-star WR Miller developing bond with Likens

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2022 IMG Academy (FL) 4-star Shawn Miller received an offer from Miami Hurricanes WR coach Rob Likens in early April, marking a key point in the recruiting process for the rising talent.

“It felt great, it was my first national offer so it was pretty big for me,” Miller said. “Coming from a school that I’m pretty interested in, it was highly exciting.”

What makes the Hurricanes a program Miller is interested in playing for in college?

“I like the culture they have, and then the players that came through there – Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Duke Johnson, and plenty more,” Miller said. “Just seeing that they have a winning culture and they have a lot of great legends coming out of there makes me feel like I could possibly be like them and create my own legacy.

“As far as playing there, I feel like I would do good there, they have a good offensive scheme, it’s pass-first. Me and Rob Likens have a great relationship so far, so I’m pretty sure it’d be a smooth transition if I were to go there.”

Although the IMG star is a new name for Canes’ fans, Miller has actually been on Likens’ radar since for awhile now, as the UM receivers coach first made contact with Miller soon after Likens arrived at Miami in early February.

“We’ve chopped it up a little bit,” Miller said of Likens. “He was taking the time out of his day to ask about how my family was with COVID-19 going on and everything. He basically said what he liked about my film, he said that he liked my blocking and my physicality. He could tell what type of player I am just based on my physicality, and he would like to see me grow because he knows what potential I have.”

Miller comes to IMG as an Arizona transplant, having originally played at in-state powerhouse Saguaro High through his sophomore season in 2019. Miller will officially move to Florida on July 4th, and he sees changing states as having a clear impact on his recruitment.

“It’s IMG, so it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity - I couldn’t really pass up on that and they have some great facilities,” Miller said of the move. “Then they’ve been doing some great things with the offense, trying to change it to a pass-first, RPO offense. We’re going to be a very efficient offense this year. I’m just going out there to get some better competition and making use of all the resources they have.

“Moving to Florida, I think it will open up my recruiting and kind of boost it a little. There’s a lot more colleges out here in Florida than Arizona. As far as me staying close to home in Arizona for college, I haven’t really decided that yet.”

So far, Miller also holds early offers from Syracuse, Arizona, and Arizona State, while Northwestern has recently reached out as well. While the recruiting process is still new for Miller and he recognizes its benefits, the 6-1 190 pound prospect says it’s not the most important thing for him.

“I really don’t focus too much on [recruiting] because, at the end of the day, I just want to play football,” Miller said. “That’s my goal, I just love football. I think of recruiting as an extra thing, but I also take it seriously at times because that’s my future and I want to go to college for football and possibly make it to the NFL and play on Sundays. But I don’t try and stress on it too much because from what I’ve learned, it will take care of itself.”

In evaluating his options, Miller feels education and offensive playing style will be key factors for him in choosing a school.

“Academics first – if football doesn’t go as planned, I want to make sure that the school has classes and opportunities that I can take that I’m interested in,” Miller said. “So things like real estate and entrepreneurship, if that school is great at teaching those classes. If a school has good academics, then that’s a really good thing.

“Football-wise, I want that school to fit me as a player. I’m a receiver, so I’m looking for if they have a pocket passing quarterback and if their offensive coordinator is a pass-first coach. I want that place to have a good culture and good coaching.”

As he continues to grow and develop his game heading into his junior season at IMG, Miller hopes to excel both on the field and in the locker room in 2020.

“My mindset is to dominate, dominate the competition. I want to be the best player out on that field at my position. And then lead - it’s a team sport, you have to pick your team up at times, you have to lead by example and work hard.”

Advertisement
Looks to me like he was getting good coaching where he was at. All the wr had the proper stance to get off the line of scrimmage quickly.

Advertisement
Looks legit and already 190lbs. We could see him easily in the 205-210lb range in college. Sounds like he has a very level head and won’t diva the recruiting process. Let’s hope Likens has good in-roads with the young man, he would look great in orange and green.

Advertisement
Back