2022 4-star TE Skinner intrigued by Canes (COMMITS)

View as article
Advertisement
You ever wonder if Alabama’s reputation might get to such a point as a first round NFL pick factory that they stop paying players. Instead players pay off the staff with bags to try to get onto the roster in some way? Absurd, but still…
Jarez Parks was a 5 star that literally paid his own way his freshman year so he can go to Bama (grey shirt).
Now he’s in the transfer portal.

Just my .02....

I don’t agree with the “He is the 3rd option” narrative just because he is the 3rd TE to commit.

One kid was a summer camp offer that committed on the spot and the other kid committed all the way back in February like a week after the '21 kids signed. Those kids just happened to commit before Skinner and they were seen as good enough to accept their commitment. Skinner has been a priority for them for quite some time and they pressed for him despite even having those other 2 guys on board. Now of course, despite him being ranked higher than those guys obviously that ultimately means nothing in Bama's eyes....could they view the other guys as better prospects? Sure. But no one on this board knows if they do or not and I just disagree with the notion that he isn't an option above those guys just because he committed after them. Again, JMO.

As for him waiting until Friday to sign, apparently the kid had to wait on his family to sign. With them being in South Carolina and him being in Florida, he either needed to wait to get back home or wait for them to get to Florida since they had to sign the papers as well.

With all of that being said, I'd be shocked if this went our way.

Just my .02....

I don’t agree with the “He is the 3rd option” narrative just because he is the 3rd TE to commit.

One kid was a summer camp offer that committed on the spot and the other kid committed all the way back in February like a week after the '21 kids signed. Those kids just happened to commit before Skinner and they were seen as good enough to accept their commitment. Skinner has been a priority for them for quite some time and they pressed for him despite even having those other 2 guys on board. Now of course, despite him being ranked higher than those guys obviously that ultimately means nothing in Bama's eyes....could they view the other guys as better prospects? Sure. But no one on this board knows if they do or not and I just disagree with the notion that he isn't an option above those guys just because he committed after them. Again, JMO.

As for him waiting until Friday to sign, apparently the kid had to wait on his family to sign. With them being in South Carolina and him being in Florida, he either needed to wait to get back home or wait for them to get to Florida since they had to sign the papers as well.

agreed. this kid has been all Alabama the entire time. comes for a quick visit but there is no smoke on our side. he sticks with the tide.

Advertisement
Just my .02....

I agree with all this. The out of the blue PWO offer to his former teammate who is a WR at Western Carolina is the only reason I'll check the board to see where he signs.

Just my .02....

Agreed for the most part. The question isn't is he the third best, but he is the third to sign. Was this a "first two to sign" situation? Does Saban sign 3 TEs in a class? Regardless how talented? Possibly. Like I said in another post, I don't expect him, but not sure it's as obvious as it would be if, say, he was the second TE instead of the third.

Advertisement
Agreed for the most part. The question isn't is he the third best, but he is the third to sign. Was this a "first two to sign" situation? Does Saban sign 3 TEs in a class? Regardless how talented? Possibly. Like I said in another post, I don't expect him, but not sure it's as obvious as it would be if, say, he was the second TE instead of the third.

Well 1 guy is an ATH who they plan to start out at Tight End but who knows if they will keep him there. He is a jumbo guy that can play a few different positions if TE doesn't work out so that could be a factor in their pursuit of Skinner as well.

And we gotta remember too, most of these kids don't care about that. They have been getting their *** kissed for 4 years and think they are the best player in the world. So if they are joining a class with other kids at the same position and entering the program at the same time as them...it probably doesn't even phase them and they want to compete and think they will beat them out anyway. I'm sure Bama was very transparent with the kid and he originally committed to them while the other 2 were committed anyway so if that wasn't an issue back then ...

Well 1 guy is an ATH who they plan to start out at Tight End but who knows if they will keep him there. He is a jumbo guy that can play a few different positions if TE doesn't work out so that could be a factor in their pursuit of Skinner as well.

And we gotta remember too, most of these kids don't care about that. They have been getting their *** kissed for 4 years and think they are the best player in the world. So if they are joining a class with other kids at the same position and entering the program at the same time as them...it probably doesn't even phase them and they want to compete and think they will beat them out anyway. I'm sure Bama was very transparent with the kid and he originally committed to them while the other 2 were committed anyway so if that wasn't an issue back then ...
I'm not saying the kids care. I'm saying does Saban sign 3 TEs? If—IF—not, could be out of Skinner's hands, regardless if he wants to compete. But if one dude could be moved, then yeah, much more likely they take him. I don't expect him, but also wouldn't be shocked if he flips.

Advertisement
I'm not saying the kids care. I'm saying does Saban sign 3 TEs? If—IF—not, could be out of Skinner's hands, regardless if he wants to compete. But if one dude could be moved, then yeah, much more likely they take him. I don't expect him, but also wouldn't be shocked if he flips.

They are willing to take this kid and fully expect him so yes, I think Saban will sign 3 TE’s.

Mario and Fields are veteran recruiters.
I don’t see them swinging this wild only to have a kid still pick Bama.
If he does pick us the excuses will be plenty.
If he doesn’t pick us it’s just status quo cause he’s already committed there.
It's really a no lose situation for Mario. If he doesn't get him, it wasn't ever expected. If he does get him, it's a huge win.

Advertisement
Just my .02....

I do not disagree with anything you are saying.

HOWEVER...even if he is the "first best" TE that Alabama is recruiting, they still have 2 others in this class, and there are others on the roster. I'm not saying Alabama had to tell the kid "you are the only TE we are signing", but what is the purpose of signing so many? Does Alabama have a secret history with utilizing TEs that I've never heard about? Is Alabama planning to use a bunch of 3 TE sets?

I'm not saying the kid is scared to compete or should go somewhere he is guaranteed playing time. But what in the **** is Alabama doing with so many TEs? And the way that Alabama rotates OCs, does this kid really trust that Alabama has a multi-year plan for him? Miami has shown a commitment to utilizing the TEs over decades, and a host of head coaches, OCs, and position coaches.

I do not disagree with anything you are saying.

HOWEVER...even if he is the "first best" TE that Alabama is recruiting, they still have 2 others in this class, and there are others on the roster. I'm not saying Alabama had to tell the kid "you are the only TE we are signing", but what is the purpose of signing so many? Does Alabama have a secret history with utilizing TEs that I've never heard about? Is Alabama planning to use a bunch of 3 TE sets?

I'm not saying the kid is scared to compete or should go somewhere he is guaranteed playing time. But what in the **** is Alabama doing with so many TEs? And the way that Alabama rotates OCs, does this kid really trust that Alabama has a multi-year plan for him? Miami has shown a commitment to utilizing the TEs over decades, and a host of head coaches, OCs, and position coaches.

No clue. I know those questions were rhetorical but the only people that can answer them reside in Tuscaloosa, Alabama lol.

Advertisement
Back