2022 4-star TE Skinner intrigued by Canes (COMMITS)

View as article
Greer (SC) High School TE
Jaleel Skinnertook his Miami official visit over the weekend and says it went "really well."

"I really enjoyed it from the first day we got there till the day we left," Skinner said.
His highlight? It's when he walked up to Michael Irvin and David Njoku ... and he did not have to introduce himself.
"I was surprised that they knew who I was," Skinner said. "They are icons, told me a lot of things. They were just telling me about the brotherhood that they have there, that it's like a fraternity after you become an alumni there."
It was Skinner's last official visit before the dead period, and possibly his last official visit period.
Skinner has taken four of his officials so far - to UM, Florida, Alabama and Texas. He also has gone on unofficial visits to Florida State and Clemson. Skinner says he may be done with visits, but is unsure of that and is also unsure of when he will announce a decision. It could come this summer, it could come in the fall, or it could come on signing day.
"I might take one more official in the fall, but I don't know right now," Skinner said. "I don't know what my timeline is for anything."

What he does now: Miami is in the thick of things.

"Yes, indeed," Skinner said. "I am just trying to figure it out."

On his UM visit, Skinner spent a lot of time with tight ends coach Stephen Field.

"He was pushing the fact of how they use the tight ends now," Skinner said. "And just overall how the campus is, just have the University of Miami is overall."

Something also of note: Skinner is not your average tight end prospect. He also is his team’s starting punter, and insisted to coaches that he remain on kickoff team and special teams for this coming year ... He was the school's special teams player of the year last season.

"I don't like being regular," Skinner said. "I am more of a team player. I will do whatever we need to make sure we are the best."

CaneSport's take

This visit went very well, but we still consider Skinner a tough get for Miami. But he is very unsure of where things stand with all of the schools, so maybe as he gains some clarity UM will be high up considering his opportunity to go the field very quickly at Tight End U.
Glad we at least shook up his thoughts on where he might have been leaning.

gotta keep pushing the TE development angle here…

Advertisement
Jaleel Skinnertook his Miami official visit over the weekend and says it went "really well."

"I really enjoyed it from the first day we got there till the day we left," Skinner said.
His highlight? It's when he walked up to Michael Irvin and David Njoku ... and he did not have to introduce himself.
"I was surprised that they knew who I was," Skinner said. "They are icons, told me a lot of things. They were just telling me about the brotherhood that they have there, that it's like a fraternity after you become an alumni there."
It was Skinner's last official visit before the dead period, and possibly his last official visit period.
Skinner has taken four of his officials so far - to UM, Florida, Alabama and Texas. He also has gone on unofficial visits to Florida State and Clemson. Skinner says he may be done with visits, but is unsure of that and is also unsure of when he will announce a decision. It could come this summer, it could come in the fall, or it could come on signing day.
"I might take one more official in the fall, but I don't know right now," Skinner said. "I don't know what my timeline is for anything."

On his UM visit, Skinner spent a lot of time with tight ends coach Stephen Field.

"He was pushing the fact of how they use the tight ends now," Skinner said. "And just overall how the campus is, just have the University of Miami is overall."

Something also of note: Skinner is not your average tight end prospect. He also is his team’s starting punter, and insisted to coaches that he remain on kickoff team and special teams for this coming year ... He was the school's special teams player of the year last season.

"I don't like being regular," Skinner said. "I am more of a team player. I will do whatever we need to make sure we are the best."

CaneSport's take

This visit went very well, but we still consider Skinner a tough get for Miami. But he is very unsure of where things stand with all of the schools, so maybe as he gains some clarity UM will be high up considering his opportunity to go the field very quickly at Tight End U.
****, you’re on a lot of boards.

CaneSport's take

We can sell him on being Hedley's replacement.

Advertisement
Wait so this kid is a top TE and has offers from big time schools and he's actually dumb enough to consider FSU who's hasn't used their TE's since the 90's. OMG where are the parents to educate these kids since they obviously don't do any research on the schools they're considering.

Wait so this kid is a top TE and has offers from big time schools and he's actually dumb enough to consider FSU who's hasn't used their TE's since the 90's. OMG where are the parents to educate these kids since they obviously don't do any research on the schools they're considering.
What are you talking about? How do you just forget about all time greats like Nick O'Leary and Ryan *checks notes* Izzo???????

In all seriousness, want to know something crazy? Since 1995, FSU has only had two TE's drafted. The two listed above. Nick was drafted in the 6th round. Ryan in the 7th.

What are you talking about? How do you just forget about all time greats like Nick O'Leary and Ryan *checks notes* Izzo???????

In all seriousness, want to know something crazy? Since 1995, FSU has only had two TE's drafted. The two listed above. Nick was drafted in the 6th round. Ryan in the 7th.
Yes and it's hilarious these kids don't do their research.

Advertisement
Clemson likes him but is pursuing a local legacy kid now. Josh Sapp, 3 star kid from Greenville, SC. Sapp’s father, Patrick, played quarterback and linebacker for the Tigers in the 1990s. Patrick played four seasons in the NFL after being a second-round linebacker draft selection.

They've been implying there are other factors involved in the expansion of their TE board.

also - some talk that perhaps Texas is the dark horse in this recruitment. No talk of Miami at all on clemson board

He will come here give it the season and when Mallory is a Mackey finalist, he will see it more clearly but honestly its worrisome that he doesn't know if you're a TE1 here you go to the NFL. i cant think of in the last 10 years a TE1 that didnt go to the NFL and get a shot

Advertisement
Norvell is recruiting Skinner as a WR - supposedly he is not overly fond of blocking. No idea if true but they are the only ones recruiting him that way.

he plays multiple positions for his HS team

Advertisement

Crazy. Went ahead and looked up Miami’s TE’s during that same time. Miami had no TE’s drafted from 95 to 1999 but in the 2000 draft they had 3 TE’s drafted alone, one being Bubba Franks in the 1st round. All in all Miami had 14 TE’s drafted with 4 of those being 1st rounders.

Advertisement
Back