2022 4-star TE McGaughey has NFL bloodlines, big on 'Tight End U'

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2022 Shadow Creek (TX) 4-star TE Trent McGaughey picked up an offer from the Miami Hurricanes and TE coach Stephen Field this spring, and although the talented tight end prospect resides in Texas, McGaughey considers himself a fan of the UM program.

“Field and I were talking about the program and stuff and I told him how Miami was a dream school for me,” McGaughey said. “I’ve watched them a lot growing up and I know a lot about the program. So it feels great to have an offer. I’ve always wanted a chance to play at that University.”

What is it about the Hurricanes that caught his eye and made McGaughey want to play for UM?

“I guess when I was a little kid and I was watching Miami, I just saw the culture and the swag that they had when they played and they would win games a lot,” McGaughey said. “Plus, really almost all my favorite players have come out of Miami – Sean Taylor, Willis McGahee, Ed Reed, Andre Johnson, and plenty more. So that just made it so they have my attention.”

The 6-3 225 pound prospect is certainly aware of what Miami’s football program has produced in the past, including the tight end tradition that surrounds the Canes’ history.

“I think Miami’s probably one of the top ‘Tight End U’ schools,” McGaughey said. “They’ve produced Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow, I know they have Brevin Jordan right now. They’ve definitely always produced great tight ends. I think about [Miami producing TE’s], not heavily, but I still think about it because it’s a school that produces players at the position you play.”

Just because McGaughey has a strong baseline knowledge of the Miami program and TE tradition, that didn’t stop Field from emphasizing those points, and McGaughey said the two had a long talk about how he could fit into new OC Rhett Lashlee’s spread offense.

“He was talking about how they were going to use me in their offense and how I could be the next Brevin Jordan and how they use the tight ends heavily in their offense,” McGaughey said of Field. “Then he started talking about the tradition and how many NFL players have come out of Miami, which I already know of course, but we were just talking more about it.”

Originally from Texas, McGaughey has moved around a lot in his life, as his father, Thomas, is a longtime NFL assistant coach who is currently the special teams coordinator for the New York Giants. Thomas also played in the NFL for the Philadelphia Eagles and Cincinnati Bengals in the mid-90’s, and has imparted a ton of wisdom about the game on Trent.

“I don’t have a problem with moving far, because with my dad’s job, I’ve moved to 5 different states. So moving, that doesn’t really affect me,” McGaughey said. “Being with my dad is great because you can see a lot of stuff that a lot of people can’t see. There’s a lot of things he can tell me to help improve my game. I’ve met a ton of superstars and they’ve given me knowledge on getting to the NFL. It’s been a great experience.”

So far the recruiting process has been kind to McGaughey, as he has earned attention from all around the nation, including offers from LSU, Oregon, Auburn, Florida, and Michigan among others.

“It’s just a blessing, I’m just taking it all in. I know at some point I’ll have to narrow it down, but it’s been a great process so far,” McGaughey said. “Schools that are standing out are LSU, Miami, Florida, Oregon, Arizona State, but I’m still interested in everybody, because you never know what can happen or how teams can develop.”

Unlike many other prospects, the Shadow Creek star was able to get in some visits before campuses shut down, as McGaughey went on a tour of regional schools in his area to Houston, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and, most recently, SMU.

“SMU was a good visit, I like that school,” McGaughey said. “It’s a very big place, it’s a private school. I like the campus and SMU has been ranked the past few years, so they’re on the come up. Coach (Sonny) Dykes is doing a really good job with them, that’s for sure.”

Even though the process is early for McGaughey and his planned decision timeline is next spring or summer, he and his family already have an idea of what they will be looking for in a school.

“Well, first, my parents are really big on school being a student-athlete. Really, just going to a school that wants me the most because I don’t have a problem going out of town and moving really far, so it’s really about who wants me the most and somewhere I can win.”

As a sophomore in 2019, McGaughey was limited to only 7 games due to injury, but contributed 9 catches for 192 yards (21.3 ypc) and 2 TD’s for the Sharks on the way to a perfect 16-0 season and a Texas 5A D-I state title win.

“I would say I’m a hybrid, I can really do anything. I think that I excel in the passing game, but if you need me to block, I can definitely help there too.”

Advertisement
Looks the part. Top offers as well so there’s that going for him. I think once he sees Brevin and Mallory ball out in this TE friendly offense that he will see the value in the Miami TEU offer!!!

Advertisement
Literally right around the corner me. I know he was injured but blah ...

If we are talking ‘22 Texas TE’s then we need to go about another 30 miles Southeast and throw everything at Donovan Green from ****inson. He is THE GEM of the TE class next year and we were in the final 2 for the last TE to come from that same HS who is now a stud at TAMU. It wont be easy but long way to go there. Field and Lashlee can get us in that race and if Jordan & Mallory perform this season ...

Advertisement

If we are talking ‘22 Texas TE’s then we need to go about another 30 miles Southeast and throw everything at Donovan Green from ****inson. He is THE GEM of the TE class next year and we were in the final 2 for the last TE to come from that same HS who is now a stud at TAMU. It wont be easy but long way to go there. Field and Lashlee can get us in that race and if Jordan & Mallory perform this season ...
Green is a MONSTER!!!

Looks good but gets no yac. Doesn’t look very athletic with ball in hands. Runs timid and gets tackled by first guy. Not dynamic in that aspect.

1B9AE56B-0D58-440C-9C6B-B933E8A1BD0C.jpeg

Advertisement
This morning:

From Rivals:
McGaughey says among the programs recruiting him hardest are Miami, LSU, SMU, Nebraska, Tennessee, Michigan, Michigan State and Colorado

“I talk with coach (Stephen) Field, we stay in touch,” McGaughey said. “He checks in, sees how I’m doing. Coach Field also said they want me to come visit when the COVID (shutdown) is over - I’ll do that most definitely.”

McGaughey suffered a ligament tear in his hand the third game of last season and underwent surgery but says he’s ahead of schedule on his return from that and should be back in full football activities in the next couple of months or so.

Sounds like he has sustained injury two seasons in a row.

Advertisement
Back