2022 4-star CB Thompson looks to build relationship with UM before any decisions

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Back in March, the Miami Hurricanes targeted out of state 2022 4-star CB Isaac Thompson as a player of interest by offering him a scholarship. Despite hailing from St. Louis University High in Missouri, Thompson says he’s long had an affinity for the orange and green.

“I was with a bunch of my friends and we were all super excited and pumped for the offer,” Thompson said of UM. “My dad and I have always been Canes fans. Their football tradition and program is so great, so I was really waiting on that offer.”

Watching the Hurricanes growing up was a family affair for Thompson, and he made clear UM would heavily factor into his recruitment moving forward now that he had the offer.

“My dad has always been a Canes fan, I mostly started liking them from watching them with him for a long time,” Thompson said. “I love the tradition in the program and how they play very fast and physical on defense. I am really interested in Miami and want to try to build a relationship with the coaches there before I make any decisions.”

The 6-1 190 pound prospect is looking to commit sometime next summer, and Thompson is focused on furthering his connections with various coaching staffs in the meantime. LSU, Florida, Michigan, Penn State, and Texas are some of the other schools that have already offered the rising junior.

“I’m just really taking everything in right now and trying to build relationships with the coaches that are recruiting me as much as possible,” Thompson said. “I’m still up in the air about everything school-wise because I can’t take any visits right now.”

Another program that is after Thompson is the local Missouri Tigers, a place that the defensive star was able to visit just before the coronavirus shutdowns.

“That was my second time up there, so I just got to talk to the coaches a little bit more and watch spring practice,” Thompson said. “I like how it’s only an hour away from home and they have a great new coaching staff.”

In the past, Thompson has recorded a 4.60 40-yard dash and a 38-inch vertical leap in combine testing as a player that operates in many different areas of the field for his high school team.

“I would say I’m very versatile on both sides of the ball and that’s what most coaches like. I play nickel, corner, free and strong safety, and can play receiver and running back at a high level too.”

Advertisement
The STL region (MO/IL is loaded with talent every year.

DeSmet, Lutheran North, John Burroughs, East STL (IL), Trinity Catholic, Chaminade, Cardinal Ritter etc, these schools produce 4-star talent in every class.

This kid is a big bodied Boundary Corner that can tackle real well, I like him better at Safety though, he'd be a beast as a SS/Rover coming down hill in run support.

My guess is he'll probably stay close to home & go to Mizzou or Michigan, but the fact his pops is a Canes fan might give us a better shot down the line.

Hopefully visits will be allowed again by Spring of next year.

Lol I thought he was the white guy from the picture. I was about to say this has to be the first white CB recruit at Miami in like 15 years

As far as being a school of interest/Brand, the U is as well known as any. We just he to out up or shut up. Win and there will be a huge shift in recruiting.

Advertisement
Interesting we reached back out to the St Louis area again. Hopefully no ill will from JT if the kid reaches out trying to find out the campus life. Sounds like his pops is a Canes fan, we’ve got to remember that the U brand is still strong around the country, even after a dreadful 6-7 season. I liked his film, and agree with Liberty - the kid would make a helluva S at the next level. Go find the talent regardless of where it’s at, and keep bringing it in. Hopefully Banda is on him, at least he’s the better recruiter of the two.

S class looking deep for 2022.

Solid S, however Naples & Delray kid would be higher on my board.

Haven’t even seen what Dade & Broward will produce.

Advertisement
Back