2022 3⭐ OT Falentha Carswell (Signs w/ Ole Miss)

Advertisement
I seem to remember a member of a high school band who late on decided to give a stab at playing football. He moved on to play some Juco ball before becoming the best OT in the NCAA. He was doubly talented as would go on to become the captain of the love boat.

Neal's a kid, knowledgeable HS evaluators basically said best OL from Florida in years. Yes, all kids need to reshape when they mature at that age. But Neal was an obvious eval -- the issue was recruiting him. Being a UM legacy wasn't enough, unfortunately.

Also, there's a difference between saying OL is about 'development' because at that age, kids need time to add strength, maturity and experience, and it's about 'development' as if some great coach could turn bad kids into good ones.

OL is about evaluations, IMO, but your eval is even more dependent on assessing which kids will mature well and put in the effort along the way than it is at other positions. Ain't no OL coach who could have turned Bar Milo, Brandon Loftus, Hayden Mahoney, Herbert, Hillery, Dykstra or ElGammel into good P5 OL. Same for Symonette, Wimbs, Pou, Wollschlager, Odogwu, Kerr, St. Pierre, Pipho et al.
Henderson was better than Neal imo. One went to Bama and got the best training available... the other went to Miami. If Neal had picked Miami he'd likely be another 5* bust, he needed a lot of work to become the draft pick he's gonna be.

Advertisement
Ain't no OL coach who could have turned Bar Milo, Brandon Loftus, Hayden Mahoney, Herbert, Hillery, Dykstra or ElGammel into good P5 OL. Same for Symonette, Wimbs, Pou, Wollschlager, Odogwu, Kerr, St. Pierre, Pipho et al.

This list makes me want to vomit
I dont think you can honestly say all/some of those guys couldnt have been solid had they gone to better programs. There are too many examples to count across the country. Fact is that Miami has not taken football seriously for an extremely long time... Miami failed some of those athletes by not providing a winning environment.

Henderson was better than Neal imo. One went to Bama and got the best training available... the other went to Miami. If Neal had picked Miami he'd likely be another 5* bust, he needed a lot of work to become the draft pick he's gonna be.
The name has already been mentioned in this thread but Neal was in the same recruiting class as former App State commit Zion Nelson. A kid who needed alot of work and alot of weight could be first round pick if he continues to show the improvement that he made in the back half of last year. So if the current staff could do that with Nelson why would Neal bust here? Would Justice coach the 5-star different than the 3-star?

We just had a 5-star kid transfer here and become a first round pick. A three-star kid who played safety and WR in high school played one full year and became a first round pick at DE. Maybe Miami has picked the wrong 5-stars and they woulda busted anywhere.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ain't no OL coach who could have turned Bar Milo, Brandon Loftus, Hayden Mahoney, Herbert, Hillery, Dykstra or ElGammel into good P5 OL. Same for Symonette, Wimbs, Pou, Wollschlager, Odogwu, Kerr, St. Pierre, Pipho et al.

This list makes me want to vomit
This jeopardy???
Who are the OL recruits you deserve when you hire Art Kehoe, Stacy Searles, and Todd Barry consecutively???

This is a great take. He’s a massive projection, but there are only a few HS guys coming out every year with this frame, natural strength, and legit basketball athleticism.

There is a steep learning curve but this is one I’d gamble on. If everything comes together, he will play in the NFL.

Nailed it.

I think this is a no brainer though. This cat is light on his feet and to me, that's important as it gets. We've had nothing but lumbering, stiff as a board, OL here for years. He will have absolutely no problem filling out. When he does and learns to use his hands, look out.

Compare him to Michael McLaughlin from last years class. I'm taking this dude every time. I wouldn't have even offered McLaughlin, but it's a done deal and I hope he proves me wrong.

I didn't see this thread until today. Hope he doesn't fly the coop when others come calling as he kills it this upcoming high school season.

Last edited:
Excited about the traits, athleticism, attitude, and little tape I've seen. Also excited to see how he progresses this season with a little bit of coaching and focus on football. He's obviously a projection and a project at this point, but there is clear talent and upside. Let's ride!

Welcome to the U!

Advertisement
It's hard to project a kid into a physical position who hasn't taken pounding before. He looks the part and could develop, but the question is how he'll take to the contact and violence. It ain't for everyone.

Guys with that type aggression early on almost always pan out.

There will be adversity, but he has the disposition. Most guys don’t play like that first days ever in pads. That is a VERY good omen.

athletic af

i wanted the kid from Jacksonville committed to Pitt but our new commit would be a high 4 star if he played since 9th grade
Are you referring to 2022 linemen Bradley Mann.

I am glad we landed Flip Carswell.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is a great take. He’s a massive projection, but there are only a few HS guys coming out every year with this frame, natural strength, and legit basketball athleticism.

There is a steep learning curve but this is one I’d gamble on. If everything comes together, he will play in the NFL.
This sums it all up quite nicely. The bottom line to this entire take/recruitment is in the the second sentence above after the comma. Guys like this DO NOT grow on trees! There are only a few prospects nationally each year with this type of frame, natural strength, balance, footwork and athleticism. This take is the very definition of a no brainer!

Wait what?

The name has already been mentioned in this thread but Neal was in the same recruiting class as former App State commit Zion Nelson. A kid who needed alot of work and alot of weight could be first round pick if he continues to show the improvement that he made in the back half of last year. So if the current staff could do that with Nelson why would Neal bust here? Would Justice coach the 5-star different than the 3-star?

We just had a 5-star kid transfer here and become a first round pick. A three-star kid who played safety and WR in high school played one full year and became a first round pick at DE. Maybe Miami has picked the wrong 5-stars and they woulda busted anywhere.
Facts

Advertisement
Back