2021 Spring Preview: TE

View as article

Zach Shashoua

Premium
Offseason Additions: Elijah Arroyo (2021 signee)

Offseason Departures: Brevin Jordan (NFL Draft)

The University of Miami is widely known as “Tight End U”, so there is no surprise that there is a lot of talent in the room. With the departure of Brevin Jordan, who is set to get his name called early in the NFL Draft, the group has many young stars that could see time on the field.

In his first three years at UM, Will Mallory has developed into one of the more reliable targets in college football. The 6-5, 245-pound junior saw action in all 11 games in the 2020 season, and with the injury of Brevin Jordan, Mallory got the starting nod in seven of those games; he tallied 329 yds and 4 TD's with an average yards per catch of 15.0. Mallory uses his size and body control to be a threat on the deep ball and get those jump balls, and his consistency benefits UM greatly as he is always a reliable target. Mallory claimed that he intends to remain at UM for as long as he can, so this will most likely not be the last year we see him in the orange and green. Although Mallory has been ruled out for the spring due to a shoulder injury, the tight end room has a veteran presence and leader as he looks to become one of the next greats at his position.

In the race to replace Mallory this spring, true freshman Elijah Arroyo out of Frisco, Texas has the opportunity to earn significant playing time. At 6-4, 220 lbs., Arroyo demonstrates good footwork and the ability to get off the line and beat the defender, while also encompassing a large catch radius that compliments his ball skills. He will certainly be used as a deep threat, as his height and frame are an asset in 1-on-1 situations. With the departure of Jordan, don’t be surprised to see Arroyo alongside Mallory, as the two can provide matchup problems for the opposition.

While Arroyo is plenty talented, older players Larry Hodges and Dominic Mammarelli will surely present a challenge to him for the #2 snaps. Although the two have not had much production thus far in their careers, they show a lot of promise. In 2019, Hodges at 6-2, 230 lbs. caught two passes, which were both for touchdowns. The tight end out of Tampa has the ability to line up at multiple spots on the field and give the defense a problem with his athleticism. His versatility could be a plus in offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee’s offense if he is able to carve out a role.

Mammarelli on the other hand is coming into his second season with the program. He saw action in 10 games in 2020, mostly on special teams, and even tallied a fumble recovery. The tight end out of Naples was part of a Wing-T offense in high school and is an advanced blocker at this stage. While Mammarelli is still developing as a route runner, he certainly has the speed and athleticism to become a threat in the passing game. Look for him to mainly be utilized in run sets as his pass-catching abilities come along this upcoming season.

Bottom Line:

UM’s historically great position group with the tight ends has much to look forward to, as the unit has great versatility and depth going into 2021. Mallory will lead the position as he emerges into his new role as the number one target, but, between Arroyo, Hodges, and Mammarelli, Miami will look to develop a reliable second option to operate with Mallory in two TE sets. With Rhett Lashee’s “air raid” offense, the tight ends are poised to yet again have a major impact on the success of the offense this upcoming season.

Advertisement
I might be totally wrong here, but I'm struggling with this notion of Mallory as a reliable playmaker. Admittedly, he came on much better last season. But his first two years there were a lot of drops and lost contested catches. I can't think of any instance he went up and won a ball against quality competition. Again, I admit I may be off, as I have a bad memory for plays that aren't game breakers in big games. I've seen him flash the potential but nothing that proves to me he can be THE guy yet.

Advertisement
IMO Mallory is stiff and drops too many passes. His catch radius is small for his size and lacks the ability to make difficult or contested catches.
not sure i agree 100%, but was shocked by his lack of nimbleness, not sure if it was due to knee braces or injury ... his hands are legit ... just has a bad history of injuries

Think folks are sleeping on Will. He played well as the #1 TE while Jordan was out. Mammarelli and Hodges we can utilize their skill sets in a wide range of personnel sets, as Liberty outlined. But I think by Game #4 Arroyo will cement his role as the alpha dog in the TE room forming a deadly combination with Mallory as the top TE’s in the ACC.

I like Mallory and do believe from what I've seen that he can handle and excel as our TE1. My concern is his injury history coupled with our lack of experience behind him...although Hodges is a 3rd yr player and Mammareli a 2nd year player (I think Mammareli is a STUD and will wind up with like 30% of all TE snaps for us...looking forward to see how he responds this spring)

Notable takeaway for me is how quickly you can have great depth and next thing you know it's gone. Brantley not enrolling for Spring ball hurts us big time coupled with the Mallory news. We practically run 2 TE sets every other play and only have 3 to run with for spring...

Silver lining is that this means spring ball will consist of a ton of 3 and 4 WR sets which will be good for that group while our TEs are rotated in to determine who separates from the pack as TE2.

Advertisement
I might be totally wrong here, but I'm struggling with this notion of Mallory as a reliable playmaker. Admittedly, he came on much better last season. But his first two years there were a lot of drops and lost contested catches. I can't think of any instance he went up and won a ball against quality competition. Again, I admit I may be off, as I have a bad memory for plays that aren't game breakers in big games. I've seen him flash the potential but nothing that proves to me he can be THE guy yet.
He didn’t get targeted a ton

He didn’t get targeted a ton

Agreed. And while his consistency was better last year, he had a lot of drops in the first two seasons. And again, I can't think of one contested catch against a quality opponent.

I'm not hating on Mallory but it seems like there's a false narrative about him.

Advertisement
Back