2021 Spring Preview: DE

View as article
Charles Haley and Jason Taylor each played around 245. they both were extremely quick. Jafari Harvey has been mentioned as the quickest end any of the coaches has been around. Very twitchy. Could be in the mold of the two players just noted. I am not saying he is NFL Hall of Fame material , rather he does have similar qualities.
Von Miller has played his entire career at 250lbs...

& Before being saddled with injuries was easily the best Pass rusher in all of football.

Advertisement
I worry about size at DE since Johnson is listed at 255, Harvey is 245. McCloud is even lighter. Cam lost a bunch of bad weight and got pretty thin. It's why I think there's a chance at SDE for a guy like Roberts. He probably doesn't move as well as the others but he moves well enough to be trusted and make plays on kickoff coverage. When Diaz's defense was at its best we had Joe Jackson and Chad Thomas at DE, and they were each 260+ lbs.
I’m not so worried as long as they can get to the QB. FSU used to rely on 250 pound DEs year after year but they could get after the qb.

Im not yet convinced 12/22 are ballers. I think 33 will surprise some. Regardless, at least one of those guys has to have a great spring if this defense is going to be any good.

I would be absolutely shocked if McCloud ended up being the man at DE.
Could you imagine if the 7th year senior playing at DE for the first time ended up being an NFL draft pick? This place would spontaneously implode.

WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Cam Williams/ Thomas Davis/ Jabari Ishmael
3Tech - Nesta Silvera/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Quentin Williams/ Leonard Taylor
1Tech - Jon Ford/Jordan Miller/ Jalar Holley/ Allan Haye
SDE - DeAndre Johnson/ Zach McCloud/ Chantz Williams/ Elijah Roberts

16 deep at DLine with both Roberts & Quentin Williams being able to play both at DT & DE.

My breakout guys on the line this year are Jahfari Harvey, JHH (even though I would say he kinda already broke out last year) & Elijah Roberts.

I know this is splitting hairs, of course, but in the interest of a transparent discussion, I will be really disappointed if Chantz is the 3rd guy off the bench on the strong side. I know McCloud will be working there, and he's a 6th year player and leader, but ****. I had super high hopes for Chantz (still do). The 3rd guy off the bus at that spot gets, what? 5 snaps a game? I was really thinking that this kid would be way too good to only be getting 5 snaps a game in Year 2.

So we'll see. I know you're just thinking out loud. But if this is really how it settles, I'll be disappointed. I really thought this kid would be good enough by now to be pushing a kid like Johnson for burn. Not clearly behind him and a kid like McCloud. I'll have big eyes on how this plays out this fall. IMO if he's really that far behind Johnson and some amount behind McCloud, at this point, I'll be tempering my expectations for him significantly. This one will be real interesting.

Advertisement
What about playing Jared Harrison-Hunte next to Nesta?

They play the same position. Harrison-Hunte, and Jade, are 3T's. They're the RJ McIntosh to Ford/Miller's Kendrick Norton 1T.

Your smaller, quicker DTs play the 3T. Your bigger space eaters play the 1T. I'm not saying they can't or won't be on the field together, but in your base defense, when you're heavy, you'll see one of the 2 at the 3T and 1 of Ford or Miller a the 1T.

Advertisement
Back