2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
In case you are wondering, here are the bigs still available.

2021 recruits with Miami offers:
Efton Reid, Brenton Mutombo and Elijah Hutchins-Everett

Bigs currently in the transfer portal:
Paul Atkinson Jr (Yale) with a Miami offer
Will Baker (Texas) entered yesterday and Miami will probably contact him since Mac Etienne is going to UCLA.
Out of those five plus Aidoo who do you think is pointing most at Miami

Extremely disheartening to see we can't recruit big men, especially when we have 3 talented guards signed in this class. There is a ton of playing time available. What is the issue?
I think the biggest issue is Coach L and staff haven't shown an ability to develop big men. They do a great job with perimeter players, PG's in particular but not with bigs.

I think the biggest issue is Coach L and staff haven't shown an ability to develop big men. They do a great job with perimeter players, PG's in particular but not with bigs.
Think this needs more clarity... they have developed the ones we’ve have gotten. But the ones we’ve signed were borederline awful when arriving here. Both Izundu and Jekiri developed nicely but were so bad when they got here that after 4 years they left as solid acc players with no shot of NBA ball. Huell was our only prayer and we all know how that turned out

Advertisement
Think this needs more clarity... they have developed the ones we’ve have gotten. But the ones we’ve signed were borederline awful when arriving here. Both Izundu and Jekiri developed nicely but were so bad when they got here that after 4 years they left as solid acc players with no shot of NBA ball. Huell was our only prayer and we all know how that turned out

Top prospects usually pick schools they feel will develop them, enhance their stock and help them get to the league. Dewan was a top 20 player coming out of high school and was considered by most as one of the top 5 big men in his class. Playing at Miami did little to nothing to help him develop, enhance his stock or get him to the league. In fact, I'd be willing to say his time at Miami hurt his stock for the NBA. Miami will continue to struggle signing top post prospects until they remedy this. I'm not sure if it's due to skill development or style of play, but for whatever reason our bigs usually don't enjoy some of the same success that our perimeter players do.

Top prospects usually pick schools they feel will develop them, enhance their stock and help them get to the league. Dewan was a top 20 player coming out of high school and was considered by most as one of the top 5 big men in his class. Playing at Miami did little to nothing to help him develop, enhance his stock or get him to the league. In fact, I'd be willing to say his time at Miami hurt his stock for the NBA. Miami will continue to struggle signing top post prospects until they remedy this. I'm not sure if it's due to skill development or style of play, but for whatever reason our bigs usually don't enjoy some of the same success that our perimeter players do.

Dewan was not a top 5 big man in his class. He came to the U with absolutely no post moves and was strictly a run and jump athlete. The only thing that cost Dewan a better opportunity was that he got himself caught up in the scandal and never got a chance to show his growth in the last two seasons he was here, and even then, he still got drafted.

There have been many players at the 4 and 5 spots that Coach L and the crew have developed. From Julian, DeQuan, Tonye, Swoope, and Ebuka have all developed during their time at the U.

Dewan was sadly waived on Thanksgiving day, a **** day to get waived. His contract would have been guaranteed a few days later. I think he will need to go to Europe and play there as I don't see his game working well in the NBA.

Advertisement
Some good points made about why big man recruiting is such a struggle for us. Recruits aren't going to get excited about L taking a player like Gamble from being complete garbage to a solid post player.

I'm not expecting to sign the cream of the crop, but you'd still think we'd be able to land at least 1 top 100 to top 200 big each year. For next season, we're likely going to have to sign a transfer or two, and the endless cycle of not being able to effectively manage the roster's depth continues.

Dewan was not a top 5 big man in his class. He came to the U with absolutely no post moves and was strictly a run and jump athlete. The only thing that cost Dewan a better opportunity was that he got himself caught up in the scandal and never got a chance to show his growth in the last two seasons he was here, and even then, he still got drafted.

There have been many players at the 4 and 5 spots that Coach L and the crew have developed. From Julian, DeQuan, Tonye, Swoope, and Ebuka have all developed during their time at the U.
To say Dewan "came to the U with absolutely no post moves" tells me that you didn't watch him in high school. You could say Tonye Jekiri came to Miami with no post moves, but not Dewan. You don't become a McDonald's All-American (from Florida, mind you) by strictly being a "run and jump athlete". Did he come to Miami as a complete player? Not at all. He certainly had things he needed to add to his game (i.e. face-up game). Again, Miami will struggle to sign the top big men until they show they can develop and do a better job of showcasing them in the offense. If you're a PG or Wing, Miami is a great option right now. If you're a big, Coach Ham at fsu might be the ticket.

Another thing that bothers me about this staff is their inability to sign top FL kids. I'm watching ESPN right now, and Texas has a kid that played HS (since 8th grade) and AAU ball in FL and Miami didn't offer him until the middle of his senior year. There's no excuse for this. The 2022 and 2023 classes in Florida are absolutely loaded and Miami has already fallen behind with a lot of those kids. This current staff has to do a better job of identifying players early and recruiting them until signing day.

GO CANES!!!

To say Dewan "came to the U with absolutely no post moves" tells me that you didn't watch him in high school. You could say Tonye Jekiri came to Miami with no post moves, but not Dewan. You don't become a McDonald's All-American (from Florida, mind you) by strictly being a "run and jump athlete". Did he come to Miami as a complete player? Not at all. He certainly had things he needed to add to his game (i.e. face-up game). Again, Miami will struggle to sign the top big men until they show they can develop and do a better job of showcasing them in the offense. If you're a PG or Wing, Miami is a great option right now. If you're a big, Coach Ham at fsu might be the ticket.

Another thing that bothers me about this staff is their inability to sign top FL kids. I'm watching ESPN right now, and Texas has a kid that played HS (since 8th grade) and AAU ball in FL and Miami didn't offer him until the middle of his senior year. There's no excuse for this. The 2022 and 2023 classes in Florida are absolutely loaded and Miami has already fallen behind with a lot of those kids. This current staff has to do a better job of identifying players early and recruiting them until signing day.

GO CANES!!!
That would be true if we were talking HS football. HS hoops in Florida, while greatly improved over what it once was, is still not among the elite HS "hotbeds." What was Dewan coming out of HS? Almost all McDs AA's are 5 stars. If Dewan was indeed a 5 star, I'd say he was overrated (4 would've been more appropriate). A shame about that last season. He would've been a major contributor.

That would be true if we were talking HS football. HS hoops in Florida, while greatly improved over what it once was, is still not among the elite HS "hotbeds." What was Dewan coming out of HS? Almost all McDs AA's are 5 stars. If Dewan was indeed a 5 star, I'd say he was overrated (4 would've been more appropriate). A shame about that last season. He would've been a major contributor.
In today's game, there are 3 things big men have to be able to do in order to have success -- rebound, block shots, and run the floor. Coming out of HS, Dewan did that as well as anyone in his class. You say he was overrated, I say he was misused and underachieved. This isn't 80's basketball where you walk the ball up the court and feed it into the post to let the big man go to work. The way the game has evolved, players like Joel Embid and Hassan Whiteside will be extinct in another year or two. Big men today have to be able to face the basket, knock down the mid-range shot and attack the rim, among other things.

Advertisement
On a side note, how does a coach in just his 2nd year of coaching college basketball come down to Florida and pluck the top 2 players in the state? Who also happen to be big men. Juwan Howard, after 1 year at Michigan is able to come down to Florida and get Caleb Houston and Moussa Diabate and I could be wrong but Miami didn't seriously recruit neither guy. If true that Miami didn't seriously recruit these 5-star prospects is completely unacceptable.

Nothing not to like at UCLA -- the campus, Westwood, Pauley, the weather, huge media market, etc.

I agree that UCLA has some great big man tradition, but that was under John Wooden.
The best big man that their current coach Mick Cronin has produced was Nysier Brooks and Brooks scored 7 points with 4 rebounds for Miami on Sunday.

Out of those five plus Aidoo who do you think is pointing most at Miami

At this point, I would have to go with Paul Atkinson Jr. He is from West Palm Beach so that should be a positive for Miami along with the abundance of playing time available next season.
Second, I would probably go with Will Baker. The recently announced Texas transfer. Even though he does not have a scholarship offer that I know of, I am sure it will come soon with Etienne going to UCLA.
Third, I would go with one of the three between Efton Reid, Ryan Mutombo and Elijah Hutchins-Everett. All three have scholarship offers and I expect the Miami interest to pick up soon.
Given that Jonas Aidoo has 4 crystal ball picks for Marquette, I did not include him. Granted, he could still commit to Miami and no one would see that coming like Etienne going to UCLA.

Advertisement
I agree that UCLA has some great big man tradition, but that was under John Wooden.
The best big man that their current coach Mick Cronin has produced was Nysier Brooks and Brooks scored 7 points with 4 rebounds for Miami on Sunday.
Yeah, I wasn't even addressing the basketball aspect of going to UCLA.

Watched a bit of FSU........**** i'm annoyed we didn't get Scottie Barnes. Just a stat filler that does a bunch of things so well. Oh well.......

In today's game, there are 3 things big men have to be able to do in order to have success -- rebound, block shots, and run the floor. Coming out of HS, Dewan did that as well as anyone in his class. You say he was overrated, I say he was misused and underachieved. This isn't 80's basketball where you walk the ball up the court and feed it into the post to let the big man go to work. The way the game has evolved, players like Joel Embid and Hassan Whiteside will be extinct in another year or two. Big men today have to be able to face the basket, knock down the mid-range shot and attack the rim, among other things.
Wiseman being drafted where he was says otherwise.

Wiseman being drafted where he was says otherwise.
Not 100% sure what you mean, but you're mistaken if you're insinuating that Wiseman is the same as Whiteside and Embid. Wiseman is much more mobile and athletic than those two and fits today's style of play. Wiseman is not just a back to the basket player. In fact, instead of a post-up game, he uses dribble moves and instead of a hook shot he's got a mid-range jumper. He doesn't rely on brute strength, he relies a lot on finesse and skill. I'd be willing to say he's already a better ball-handler than many NBA centers and hasn't even played in an NBA game yet. Just because he's a 7-footer doesn't mean he's your typical back to the basket sloth. The kid gets up and down the floor with relative ease, contests shots and rebounds. He'll transition to today's NBA game just fine.

Advertisement
Back