NFL 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Then you don't take Waddle or Smith, but you grab a WR later in the draft. Time has proven that WR are for the most part a dime a dozen and like RB better taken later. We could have "settled" on the best defensive player in the draft or drafted the NW tackle instead of giving away a third round pick to move up and draft somebody I think is a panic purchase because a good team moved up and took Jenkins.

Waddle has to have a better career than either Chase or Pitts...If not it is a bust.

Agree with you on the RB. Two years in a row they screwed the pooch on that position only to try and spin it. If they truly believe what they are saying Ross needs to make them available to the industry.

Draft Grade for me is C- (Got caught with our pants down too many times and it started with the horrible trade back up to 6)
I agree WR is usually not a premium first round position, but given our lack of weapons (Parker, Williams and Fuller are always hurt), Tua’s rapport with Waddle, and the fact this WR class was special, I would have been mad if we passed on a WR and settled for someone like Elijah Moore.

I was posting here that sitting until 36 was not going to get a top RB. That became blatantly obvious when Harris and Etienne went back-to-back. And yet, with our vast stockpile of picks, Grier rolled the dice and we left with just a 7th round RB. I don’t get why most pundits graded our draft so highly. The one thing I really like, however, is this:

AEB5F107-9917-4F0B-8933-FBE546E1E333.jpeg

Advertisement
I agree WR is usually not a premium first round position, but given our lack of weapons (Parker, Williams and Fuller are always hurt), Tua’s rapport with Waddle, and the fact this WR class was special, I would have been mad if we passed on a WR and settled for someone like Elijah Moore.

I was posting here that sitting until 36 was not going to get a top RB. That became blatantly obvious when Harris and Etienne went back-to-back. And yet, with our vast stockpile of picks, Grier rolled the dice and we left with just a 7th round RB. I don’t get why most pundits graded our draft so highly. The one thing I really like, however, is this:

View attachment 146398
Am I the only one not as worried about the running game as most? Brown should help in short yardage situations. Blocking was upgraded. Also added two receivers that run a 4.3. That itself will open up the run. You don’t need a feature back in today’s league. Gaskin was good behind an inexperienced line last year, will only improve.

I hope that 7th round RB sticks. Seems to be a good blocker and athletic. Built like a tank.

I like all of the picks except the TE was a head scratcher. I wish we upgraded at center. But I get it. Can’t hurt to have more pass catchers after watching last year.

Last edited:
Am I the only one not as worried about the running game as most? Brown should help in short yardage situations. Blocking was upgraded. Also added two receivers that run a 4.3. That itself will open up the run. You don’t need a feature back in today’s league. Gaskin was good behind an inexperienced line last year, will only improve.

I hope that 7th round RB sticks. Seems to be a good blocker and athletic. Built like a tank.

I like all of the picks except the TE was a head scratcher. I wish we upgraded at center. But I get it. Can’t hurt to have more pass catchers after watching last year.
Maybe the TE pick isn’t as crazy as it seems. We were, after all, in discussions to maybe draft Kyle Pitts.

I wish I was as optimistic as you are regarding the ground game. Gaskin is not starting material, he’s a **** good RB2. And I love the guy’s heart, but the fact is he is too small and too slow; that’s why he has never broken a big run. His one big pass was a fluke screen against the Raiders. That said, I’ve been watching tape of Gerrid Doaks and I’m very impressed with the pick. I bet he sticks.

Maybe the TE pick isn’t as crazy as it seems. We were, after all, in discussions to maybe draft Kyle Pitts.

I wish I was as optimistic as you are regarding the ground game. Gaskin is not starting material, he’s a **** good RB2. And I love the guy’s heart, but the fact is he is too small and too slow; that’s why he has never broken a big run. His one big pass was a fluke screen against the Raiders. That said, I’ve been watching tape of Gerrid Doaks and I’m very impressed with the pick. I bet he sticks.
2nd highest RAS in the RB class. Higher than Kamara’s. What does this mean? This can only mean he’ll be better than Kamara of course.

What’s the difference in signing bonus + guaranteed money between each round in the draft and then undrafted FA? I saw Marvin Wilson for example got a large signing bonus on top of his guaranteed deal as an undrafted FA. @apfenny3 @DMoney

Advertisement
What’s the difference in signing bonus + guaranteed money between each round in the draft and then undrafted FA? I saw Marvin Wilson for example got a large signing bonus on top of his guaranteed deal as an undrafted FA. @apfenny3 @DMoney
Signing bonus is typically up front and paid out after signing depending on the amount. His guaranteed amount of his base salary basically ensures he'll at least be on the practice squad the entire season as a minimum

Etienne...I think he's good and I think he becomes more than a gadget guy...especially because Laviska Shenault can do a lot of the gadget stuff they are likely going to want to do, and I just think Etienne is a good runner, too. But...again...no thanks on R1 picks for RBs. Rules are rules. Doesn't matter who you are.

Jacksonville is pretty full at WR...I guess he'd be competing with Collin Johnson for a roster spot? Which, is not that difficult a task...he's 6-foot-6 of just a guy. Its got his value...but can be displaced as I am sure you'll start to see Urban's guys flood the bottom half of the roster.
Urban's quotes and the fact that he wanted Toney all indicate that they view Etienne as a gadget guy to play slot and backfield. I doubt he gets many carries between the tackles and that's probably a good thing because he's not good at it unless he's exploding through huge creases. They want to scheme him touches in space which is fine as he can accelerate for chunk gains just don't expect him to make guys miss or track the ball well downfield with his bowlegged awkwardness. And yeah that's gonna relegate Viska to a perimeter role which is a waste of his skillset.

I like Collin and I think he'll win over this staff with his boundary skills and competence as a deep crosser. He should be the WR4. Camp will be competing to play special teams and be a backup to Viska.

Urban's quotes and the fact that he wanted Toney all indicate that they view Etienne as a gadget guy to play slot and backfield. I doubt he gets many carries between the tackles and that's probably a good thing because he's not good at it unless he's exploding through huge creases. They want to scheme him touches in space which is fine as he can accelerate for chunk gains just don't expect him to make guys miss or track the ball well downfield with his bowlegged awkwardness. And yeah that's gonna relegate Viska to a perimeter role which is a waste of his skillset.

I like Collin and I think he'll win over this staff with his boundary skills and competence as a deep crosser. He should be the WR4. Camp will be competing to play special teams and be a backup to Viska.

Jaguars have a ton of WRs.

DJ Chark
Marvin Jones Jr.
Laviska Shenault
Phillip Dorsett

then you've got Collin Johnson, Terry Godwin, Jon'Vea Johnson (former Cowboys WR coach wanted to bring him - might be one of his guys), and then Camp. They also signed that Illinois WR that jumped out of the gym - the Khan's love giving those Illinois players a chance. Agnew was also brought in as a special teamer. So, we'll see.

Urban's need for THAT gadget guy so much so he made it a priority to make his second pick that guy - while passing on Curtis Samuel in free agency - is very funny to me.

Speaking of Kadarius Toney, has there ever been a draft with as many guys in a similar mold such as:

Waddle
Toney
Elijah Moore
Rondale Moore
Tutu Atwell
Jaelon Darden

I may even be missing another WR or two, just seems like a new trend.

Advertisement
Speaking of Kadarius Toney, has there ever been a draft with as many guys in a similar mold such as:

Waddle
Toney
Elijah Moore
Rondale Moore
Tutu Atwell
Jaelon Darden

I may even be missing another WR or two, just seems like a new trend.
I mean, seems predictable. It's a result of what college teams now do. If teams were lining up in I-Form and needed a traditional SE and flanker on opposite sides of the field, it'd be a little tougher on this type. I'd guess Waddle, who appears like some ironic combination of 5' 9" Mark Duper's speed and 5' 9" Mark Clayton's quickness, would likely have the best chance of the group.

Gotta love the long arms and he looks about 6' but you can see he doesn't have a college-ready body. Will be a good one in time. Once he fills out he could look like Diggs physically.

How good is Jacksonville’s OC and QB coach? Don’t think Lawrence is a finished product by any means. The NFL’s gonna give him a rough welcome now that he can’t run the same 5 gimmick plays he exclusively ran at Clemson.

Advertisement
How good is Jacksonville’s OC and QB coach? Don’t think Lawrence is a finished product by any means. The NFL’s gonna give him a rough welcome now that he can’t run the same 5 gimmick plays he exclusively ran at Clemson.
I'm really curious about his trajectory. Herbert seemingly ran 3 plays at Oregon and was handcuffed to such an obscene amount relative to what we saw during his rookie season.

Ehhhhhhh.

I'm not as down on Darrell Bevell as some...he's been a good OC in the past...but that might have been a long time ago at this point and Brian Schottenheimer...well...he's Brian Schottenheimer...he's been around some good QBs (Russ, Luck, Brees) but he hasn't exactly been the guy that has developed anyone.

I'm really curious about his trajectory. Herbert seemingly ran 3 plays at Oregon and was handcuffed to such an obscene amount relative to what we saw during his rookie season.
Such a shame that. If Oregon had a halfway decent coaching staff there’s a high chance we’re sitting with one of Herbert or Burrow right now.

Can’t shake this bad feeling with Lawrence. And if Herbert set the standard of what a QB can do once unshackled by unimaginative play calling... good luck Trevor.

Advertisement
Trey Lance and Trey Sermon
:rickflair2:

Waddle is going to be an instant deep threat for Tagovailoa, but he can also help him by creating separation on horizontal routes like digs or crossing routes. The hope is that the bigger windows Waddle could create will encourage Tagovailoa to be more aggressive throwing the ball downfield more. There should be an instant comfort level as the two played together at Alabama (in case, you weren’t aware).
@CaneDawgCrew

Can't wait to see Darnell Mooney with Fields.

Advertisement
Back