NFL 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Advertisement
You guys have got to stop valuing these guys based on college football expectations. The NFL is a very pretty game, when you have a player who is beautiful they will transcend the game. That’s the NFL mindset and I don’t think a lot of our guys have that. I don’t know if it’s a Diaz problem or an institutional problem, but some of our guys really prize football over beauty.

Take a look at what Oregon is doing. Mario has teamed up with Revlon as part of their NIL package. Have you heard a peep from Manny about looking at TRESemmé or even Dove? I haven’t, and I think it’s hurting our guys this draft. I don’t want to see J Lo in the stands I want to see Glo beauty products in players’ hands for crying out loud. Obviously that’s why the turnover chain has worked so well.

Blake James better demand changes on the cosmetic front of this program, or we are always going to be looking up and seeing Alabama and Clemson ahead of us.

I got to go, my eyeliner is clotting.

Final trade details: Jaylen Waddle AND a 2022 4th for Devonta Smith, Zech McPherson and a 2022 1st

Grier and co better hope Waddle winds up significantly better than his former teammate. Not sure I can remember an easier trade to evaluate down the line.

Advertisement
Was just reviewing team drafts. Urban Meyer is an evil being, but dude put together a nice looking draft. Those first 4 rounds are slick. Not a big Etienne guy, but the two 2nd rounders, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder are all valuable picks. I preferred Jay Tufele over Hunter Long (and I don't think Long is a bad player, just not great value for the Phins unless they'd have traded Gesicki).

Advertisement
Kansas City also has done a slick job with their draft capital. Flipped their first rounder (+) for a Pro Bowl Tackle. Picked up Nick Bolton, who had slipped as a short LB, and will likely immediately contribute. Added another talented body to their OL via Creed Humphrey. Their OL has now gone from an insane weakness during the Super Bowl to 8 deep with talent. I was a fan of Cornell Powell, who they just picked up in R5. I expect him to make their team.

Cornell Powell is really good and instantly their 2nd most talented WR imo. Looking forward to bumping ZBrod's troll porst.

Was just reviewing team drafts. Urban Meyer is an evil being, but dude put together a nice looking draft. Those first 4 rounds are slick. Not a big Etienne guy, but the two 2nd rounders, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder are all valuable picks. I preferred Jay Tufele over Hunter Long (and I don't think Long is a bad player, just not great value for the Phins unless they'd have traded Gesicki).

Urban Meyer using 247 recruiting rankings for his draft board is now a meme.

His draft is the definition of boom or bust. Its definitely an interesting draft and one to monitor moving forward.

Beyond Trevor Lawrence...because ultimately, he's the make or break pick of the draft. If he hits, Jacksonville will be a playoff team pretty regularly moving forward. If he's not...well...Urban will be having heart problems soon enough.

I happen to like Travis Etienne as a player and barring injury...IMO, he should be a very productive pro. I don't agree with taking running backs in Round 1...Jacksonville found a 1000 yard rusher on the scrap heap just a year prior...and after watching all of Jacksonville's games in 2020, he's actually pretty good via the eyetest. With that said, many metrics and models say Etienne is going to be a very productive player. From Hayden Winks for one:

Buffalo was going to take him at 30...so, the price is the price, I guess...but RB itself goes against common sense in R1. The player, IMO, will be good...but R1P25 is just rich for my blood.

Moving into R2...

Tyson Campbell is a scheme fit and probably has a lot more to give the sport of football...but I can't help but think he's going to be one of those corners that starts for a very long time, but kind of sucks for a long time as he gives up a lot of catches, especially in zone...but plays better in man coverages. Basically...Kevin King. ymmv if thats a good pick or not. Jacksonville needed DBs in the worst way in this draft. CJ Henderson, Shaq Griffin, Tyson Campbell, Sidney Jones...eh, we'll see how that group develops.

Walker Little's tape from two years ago - basically, the last time we saw him - is very good. He tested like a top athlete. If he's healthy...he's probably starting for Jacksonville next year at LT after they let Cam Robinson go (a certainty after this pick). Boom or bust pick though, that I lean to thinking he'll be a good solid starter in the NFL provided he stays injury free.

R3

Andre Cisco is another boom or bust player. Will likely start for Jacksonville sooner rather than later, but coming back from an injury. This one seems like a scout pick for Jacksonville...but I can see Urban thinking he's got a nice Malik Hooker center fielder type.

Day 3

Basically all backups. Jay Tufele is just a backup, rotational guy to me...one that Urban had a history with during the recruiting process. I figured Jacksonville would take him or Tommy Togiai right around here. Meh. But its a need for the team, especially after losing Tyson Alualu who chose to stay in Pittsburgh. He'll probably be on the 53 at some point, but again, backup. Jordan Smith and Luke Farrell are two others that are just deep backups and developmental practice squad players. Smith has character concerns (was involved in a credit card scheme at Florida that got him on probation), and while he's been productive at Butler CC and UAB, is nearly a non-NFL athlete. Some people like him, and Jacksonville traded up for him, but whatever. Jacksonville needs a TE and surely, Luke Farrell isn't it. Maybe he's a special teamer.

My one take away from Urban's first off-season...he low key makes a lot of excuses. COVID excuses for why they didn't sign free agents that the staff didn't have connections with. He spent a good portion of the post R1 press conferences saying how much he loved Kyle Pitts and couldn't get him. Discussed the troubles of assembling a draft board during COVID and meeting on ZOOM too much. As a result...first off-season, he relied a lot on what / who he knew. We'll see if that was wise or lazy.

Edit - In an interview with the NFLN team on Day 3...one thing really stood out. As a college coach, he noted, when you take a player from a bad high school...it takes a year and a half to teach them how to prepare, the fundamentals, etc. When you take players from good, well run operations, the learning curve shortens and they are more likely ready to go and contribute. Something to keep in mind for all levels of football discourse, I suppose.

Last edited:
Final trade details: Jaylen Waddle AND a 2022 4th for Devonta Smith, Zech McPherson and a 2022 1st

Grier and co better hope Waddle winds up significantly better than his former teammate. Not sure I can remember an easier trade to evaluate down the line.
That’s not entirely accurate, though, because it doesn’t account for the fact Philly traded a 3rd round pick to move up to take Smith.

Advertisement
That’s not entirely accurate, though, because it doesn’t account for the fact Philly traded a 3rd round pick to move up to take Smith.
What is accurate is that it was a chit show. We sit where we traded with SF we have our choice of maybe Waddle or Smith, Parsons, and/or Slater.

By not taking Sewell we had to **** away a third round pick just to move up 8 spots because they were probably shocked somebody moved up in the draft to take Jenkins. Panic buy and also why you never go grocery shopping when you are hungry.

Had to take the safety because we let Fitzpatrick go to the Steelers because he was unhappy. By the way, got a worse draft pick for him then where we picked him and he is All Pro.

How about waiting until we get vibes on what people are thinking when we were at #3? How many teams make trades like that over a month out? Us...Because we are the smartest.

EDIT - I don't like RB in the first round. Hate it. Against it. However, you can bet I am reading the board and when Pitt and Jax went with the top 2 you can bet I am not sleeping until I come away with Williams. What happens? We sit and DEN trades in front of us to grab him AND they already have good running backs. Of course, we pass it off as saying yeah we love who we have everyone else is stupid.

Advertisement
Urban Meyer using 247 recruiting rankings for his draft board is now a meme.

His draft is the definition of boom or bust. Its definitely an interesting draft and one to monitor moving forward.

Beyond Trevor Lawrence...because ultimately, he's the make or break pick of the draft. If he hits, Jacksonville will be a playoff team pretty regularly moving forward. If he's not...well...Urban will be having heart problems soon enough.

I happen to like Travis Etienne as a player and barring injury...IMO, he should be a very productive pro. I don't agree with taking running backs in Round 1...Jacksonville found a 1000 yard rusher on the scrap heap just a year prior...and after watching all of Jacksonville's games in 2020, he's actually pretty good via the eyetest. With that said, many metrics and models say Etienne is going to be a very productive player. From Hayden Winks for one:

Buffalo was going to take him at 30...so, the price is the price, I guess...but RB itself goes against common sense in R1. The player, IMO, will be good...but R1P25 is just rich for my blood.

Moving into R2...

Tyson Campbell is a scheme fit and probably has a lot more to give the sport of football...but I can't help but think he's going to be one of those corners that starts for a very long time, but kind of sucks for a long time as he gives up a lot of catches, especially in zone...but plays better in man coverages. Basically...Kevin King. ymmv if thats a good pick or not. Jacksonville needed DBs in the worst way in this draft. CJ Henderson, Shaq Griffin, Tyson Campbell, Sidney Jones...eh, we'll see how that group develops.

Walker Little's tape from two years ago - basically, the last time we saw him - is very good. He tested like a top athlete. If he's healthy...he's probably starting for Jacksonville next year at LT after they let Cam Robinson go (a certainty after this pick). Boom or bust pick though, that I lean to thinking he'll be a good solid starter in the NFL provided he stays injury free.

R3

Andre Cisco is another boom or bust player. Will likely start for Jacksonville sooner rather than later, but coming back from an injury. This one seems like a scout pick for Jacksonville...but I can see Urban thinking he's got a nice Malik Hooker center fielder type.

Day 3

Basically all backups. Jay Tufele is just a backup, rotational guy to me...one that Urban had a history with during the recruiting process. I figured Jacksonville would take him or Tommy Togiai right around here. Meh. But its a need for the team, especially after losing Tyson Alualu who chose to stay in Pittsburgh. He'll probably be on the 53 at some point, but again, backup. Jordan Smith and Luke Farrell are two others that are just deep backups and developmental practice squad players. Smith has character concerns (was involved in a credit card scheme at Florida that got him on probation), and while he's been productive at Butler CC and UAB, is nearly a non-NFL athlete. Some people like him, and Jacksonville traded up for him, but whatever. Jacksonville needs a TE and surely, Luke Farrell isn't it. Maybe he's a special teamer.

My one take away from Urban's first off-season...he low key makes a lot of excuses. COVID excuses for why they didn't sign free agents that the staff didn't have connections with. He spent a good portion of the post R1 press conferences saying how much he loved Kyle Pitts and couldn't get him. Discussed the troubles of assembling a draft board during COVID and meeting on ZOOM too much. As a result...first off-season, he relied a lot on what / who he knew. We'll see if that was wise or lazy.

Edit - In an interview with the NFLN team on Day 3...one thing really stood out. As a college coach, he noted, when you take a player from a bad high school...it takes a year and a half to teach them how to prepare, the fundamentals, etc. When you take players from good, well run operations, the learning curve shortens and they are more likely ready to go and contribute. Something to keep in mind for all levels of football discourse, I suppose.

Etienne is a hefty cost for an (Urban) admitted gadget guy and he doesn't make people miss like Samuel or Harvin. I get wanting playmakers but this is the wrong guy in the wrong round.

Campbell is a traits pick and I don't mind it. I loved him as a recruit and all the talent is still there.

Little should fall somewhere in the spectrum from Havenstein to Mitch Schwartz. He's big and controlled with his movement, adjusting well to inside moves and not oversetting. With his lack of length and elite anchor he could have some issues with power rushers though.

The rest of the picks I'm either not familiar with or underwhelmed by. Except Jalen Camp who's a freak and reminds me of Quincy Enunwa. That was a coup.

Ultimately I agree that every time Urban talks I'm turned off. He talks in circles about intangible old-school philosophy **** and his supposed wisdom comes across as archaic and misplaced. It reminds me of Schiano on the Bucs in a lot of ways. His staff is underwhelming like Schiano's too. I think he's in for a rough adjustment in the NFL and will need to become a lot more adaptable. And how did he not realize hiring Doyle was gonna be a distraction? He just seems clueless imo.

Etienne is a hefty cost for an (Urban) admitted gadget guy and he doesn't make people miss like Samuel or Harvin. I get wanting playmakers but this is the wrong guy in the wrong round.

Campbell is a traits pick and I don't mind it. I loved him as a recruit and all the talent is still there.

Little should fall somewhere in the spectrum from Havenstein to Mitch Schwartz. He's big and controlled with his movement, adjusting well to inside moves and not oversetting. With his lack of length and elite anchor he could have some issues with power rushers though.

The rest of the picks I'm either not familiar with or underwhelmed by. Except Jalen Camp who's a freak and reminds me of Quincy Enunwa. That was a coup.

Ultimately I agree that every time Urban talks I'm turned off. He talks in circles about intangible old-school philosophy **** and his supposed wisdom comes across as archaic and misplaced. It reminds me of Schiano on the Bucs in a lot of ways. His staff is underwhelming like Schiano's too. I think he's in for a rough adjustment in the NFL and will need to become a lot more adaptable. And how did he not realize hiring Doyle was gonna be a distraction? He just seems clueless imo.
Etienne...I think he's good and I think he becomes more than a gadget guy...especially because Laviska Shenault can do a lot of the gadget stuff they are likely going to want to do, and I just think Etienne is a good runner, too. But...again...no thanks on R1 picks for RBs. Rules are rules. Doesn't matter who you are.

Campbell...I think he'll become a starter, and will likely start for a while in the NFL...he just gives up a lot, especially in zone. They even made mention of it during the Day 2 presser that they will be playing more man coverage. Griffin + Campbell allow them to do that...and if Cisco comes back, he's the perfect centerfielder in theory.

Little...I went back and watched his 2018 highlights, full game v. Notre Dame, and a few other game cut ups...man, I forgot how good he was. I think he's a little better than those RT starters...mostly because I think the athleticism aligns with a solid LT prospect. RT if things bank left.

Jacksonville is pretty full at WR...I guess he'd be competing with Collin Johnson for a roster spot? Which, is not that difficult a task...he's 6-foot-6 of just a guy. Its got his value...but can be displaced as I am sure you'll start to see Urban's guys flood the bottom half of the roster.

Funny how things work...in the final presser...I guess the dominoes that fell were as follows.

Eagles trade up for Devonta Smith...Giants trade down with the Bears to take Fields...Giants pick Kadarius Toney, which was who the Jaguars would have picked at 25...they instead drafted Etienne, which the Bills were...Bills drafted Rousseau, who the Ravens were going to take, so they take Oweh. Fun little draft dominoes.

Last edited:
What is accurate is that it was a chit show. We sit where we traded with SF we have our choice of maybe Waddle or Smith, Parsons, and/or Slater.

By not taking Sewell we had to **** away a third round pick just to move up 8 spots because they were probably shocked somebody moved up in the draft to take Jenkins. Panic buy and also why you never go grocery shopping when you are hungry.

Had to take the safety because we let Fitzpatrick go to the Steelers because he was unhappy. By the way, got a worse draft pick for him then where we picked him and he is All Pro.

How about waiting until we get vibes on what people are thinking when we were at #3? How many teams make trades like that over a month out? Us...Because we are the smartest.

EDIT - I don't like RB in the first round. Hate it. Against it. However, you can bet I am reading the board and when Pitt and Jax went with the top 2 you can bet I am not sleeping until I come away with Williams. What happens? We sit and DEN trades in front of us to grab him AND they already have good running backs. Of course, we pass it off as saying yeah we love who we have everyone else is stupid.
There’s a lot to not like about the Dolphins draft, but the trade up from 12 to 6 isn’t one of them. We absolutely would not have gotten Waddle or Smith 12th. No chance. The Giants were taking whichever WR was available 11th. The only reason they didn’t is they were jumped. But if Philly didn’t trade out of 6, the Eagles were still taking a WR. It’s just that the other would have been gone by 11. So it was smart in hindsight.

The dumb part of Miami’s draft was allowing Denver to leapfrog them and steal Javonte Williams for measly compensation to ATL. And then that retarded pick of a TE in the third round when we could have picked Trey Sermon or many other very good players at an actual position of need. I also thought we paid a steep price to move from 50 to 42. Eichenberg better pan out.

I give Miami’s draft a B-. Started out great and then fizzled.

There’s a lot to not like about the Dolphins draft, but the trade up from 12 to 6 isn’t one of them. We absolutely would not have gotten Waddle or Smith 12th. No chance. The Giants were taking whichever WR was available 11th. The only reason they didn’t is they were jumped. But if Philly didn’t trade out of 6, the Eagles were still taking a WR. It’s just that the other would have been gone by 11. So it was smart in hindsight.

The dumb part of Miami’s draft was allowing Denver to leapfrog them and steal Javonte Williams for measly compensation to ATL. And then that retarded pick of a TE in the third round when we could have picked Trey Sermon or many other very good players at an actual position of need. I also thought we paid a steep price to move from 50 to 42. Eichenberg better pan out.

I give Miami’s draft a B-. Started out great and then fizzled.
Then you don't take Waddle or Smith, but you grab a WR later in the draft. Time has proven that WR are for the most part a dime a dozen and like RB better taken later. We could have "settled" on the best defensive player in the draft or drafted the NW tackle instead of giving away a third round pick to move up and draft somebody I think is a panic purchase because a good team moved up and took Jenkins.

Waddle has to have a better career than either Chase or Pitts...If not it is a bust.

Agree with you on the RB. Two years in a row they screwed the pooch on that position only to try and spin it. If they truly believe what they are saying Ross needs to make them available to the industry.

Draft Grade for me is C- (Got caught with our pants down too many times and it started with the horrible trade back up to 6)

Advertisement
Back