2021 FPI Power Rankings released today

anandris

Recruit
https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Canes come in at 20 with a 28.1% chance to win the division (ouch), 7% chance at winning the ACC, 1 % chance to make the playoff, and .1% chance to win it all! (So you're saying there's a chance???). Only 20 teams have above 0.1% chance to win it all so I guess we're a contender in a way? :LOL:

Other notables: FSU at 41, VA Tech at 28, UNC at 13, Florida at 14

Advertisement
I always find the preseason FPI to be kind of weird. Since no games have actually been played, it has to factor previous seasons’ markers. Some of them make sense like returning starters and last year’s results and recruiting classes. Some are kind of strange. Coaching staffs get rewarded for longer longevity and you lose points for having a newer staff. Technically Miami could have a higher ranking had it retained Blake Baker and the other coaches that were replaced this off season.

They're giving someone other than Miami/UNC a 35% chance to win the division. That seems really high.

They're also projecting Miami to have an 8-4 season, which seems low.

They're giving someone other than Miami/UNC a 35% chance to win the division. That seems really high.

They're also projecting Miami to have an 8-4 season, which seems low.
And really that 'someone else' is mostly a combination of VT and UVA.

1618330254602.png

Advertisement
I don't know, maybe I'm being a homer but 5 ACC teams we play had a 500 or sub record last year, we have 3 OOC games that should be assumed as wins, that's 8 games right there. An 8-4 record means we beat everyone who went 500 or less last year and lose to everyone else. It just seems like a bad prediction. Considering we won 8 games last year with no OOC cupcakes and 2 less games, and we return most starters including our QB.

I think 9 games is a much more realistic expectation (10 as a fan).

I would say we are underdogs in 2 games for sure. Alabama and @UNC.

@Pittsburgh won't be easy, and N.C State and UVA at home could be pretty tough.

I think 9-3 is realistic. 8-4 to me means King was still having injury issues with the knee that was more prolonged.

Better RB group, Better WR group, Better OL play, better run defense from DL, and better secondary than last season 8-3 team.

Advertisement
I mean we are picked 2nd to win Coastal which is fair based on UNC last year. If anything it is generous given that you always seem to find extra losses lol.

Accordingly to a lot of odd slurpers on here, I am amazed UNC isn't picked to not only win it all, but to win it all with no close games as they have the greatest coach and the greatest QB of all time. Perhaps one of y'all should remind the FPI of that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I would say we are underdogs in 2 games for sure. Alabama and @UNC.

@Pittsburgh won't be easy, and N.C State and UVA at home could be pretty tough.

I think 9-3 is realistic. 8-4 to me means King was still having injury issues with the knee that was more prolonged.

Better RB group, Better WR group, Better OL play, better run defense from DL, and better secondary than last season 8-3 team.

We don't play UNC until October 16. Let's wait to see if we are "underdogs" until October 10.

Advertisement
Back