2021 Fall Camp Summary - Day 2

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The second day of Canes fall camp is in the books. Media was allowed to view the entire 2-hour practice, so I was able to form some decent impressions. Disclaimer that there were no pads today, just shirts and shorts, but here were my takeaways.

**Overall, I thought it was another strong day for the QB’s, D’Eriq King and Tyler Van Dyke in particular. There was some inaccuracy and drops by receivers in the early going, but King and Van Dyke (who saw some first team reps) really turned it on in the second half of practice and there was a nice sequence where they traded dimes; first was King with a perfect back shoulder throw to Key’Shawn Smith on a streak that went for 25-30 yards. On the very next play it was Van Dyke with a strike to Michael Redding on a go-route that was placed right on Redding 35-40 yards in the air. There was good coverage on both throws, it was just superior ball placement by the QB’s.

This was something I felt Van Dyke really shined at, as he had multiple “NFL-type” throws to all areas of the field where there was a DB right on his man, but he put it where only the receiver could get it. I thought that was best exemplified on a throw to Xavier Restrepo, who had Brian Balom all over him across the middle and it didn’t look like there was any chance for a play to be made. Instead, Van Dyke led him just enough and Restrepo converted with a full extension diving catch for a pickup of 20. Van Dyke did have two picks, but they were both on the receivers, who bobbled the ball right into the arms of the defender. Van Dyke also had a nice scramble away from pressure that resulted in a 15-20 yard pickup. If I had to pick, I’d say Van Dyke had the best day of the QB’s.

Jake Garcia was a mixed bag today, not his best performance. He had some miscommunications with receivers, threw the complete wrong route in a 1-on-1, held the ball way too long to take an unnecessary sack, and had one or two near interceptions. Still, he made some strong throws that flashed his potential, and his best one was probably the last play of the day where he lofted a pass to the back pylon on a 20-25 yard corner route that Restrepo went up and brought in for the TD, sending the offensive sideline into a frenzy.

**The wide receivers easily were the standout group of the day. Playing in shorts gives the skill guys a big advantage over the linemen when it comes to notable plays, but nonetheless, the receivers have looked much improved as a unit if we’re going by the first two practices. There were probably four or five guys that have arguments for most impressive today, but I’d have to go with Redding and Restrepo, who both also got some first team action as well. Redding has a very versatile skillset where he is physical and big-bodied enough to wall off defenders and haul in short passes as a possession receiver, yet still has enough speed to get deep. He got behind both of UM’s first team corners today in DJ Ivey and Tyrique Stevenson and beat them for big gains on deep balls.

Restrepo was just all over the place today working the underneath game and exploiting gaps in the middle of the field on intermediate routes, plus had about 6 diving catches/near misses by my count. If you think the “hard worker, high effort” label is getting overblown, today was the type of performance where it shows up tangibly on the field. His play also got the team fired up, as his offensive teammates responded with big cheers and yells each time he laid out.

Mike Harley and Key’Shawn Smith should also be singled out for praise as they both had multiple nice catches and runs. Brashard Smith is really a marvel to watch in the open field and his gear is next level, especially when you consider how well built he is as he’s not your typical shrimpy slot receiver. Will Mallory terrorized the linebackers in the middle of the field today as a safety valve for the QB’s. Romello Brinson and Dee Wiggins both had a case of the drops today with multiple mishandles.

**The running backs had a much better day today, as Jaylan Knighton and Cam’Ron Harris both ripped off multiple chunk runs. I was most impressed by Knighton though, who made something out of nothing a few times and was very slippery in making people miss. Harris is in really good shape and looks a hair quicker than last year. Both showed off a strong decisiveness when cutting upfield and hitting the hole hard. Don Chaney also got some first team work, but didn’t make any notable plays and looks to be still knocking off some rust from his injury. Thad Franklin is massive; he’s listed at 6’0” 240 pounds and that’s not an exaggeration. He carries the weight well, though, and made a few nice catches out of the backfield today on the second team.

**The OL had a nice bounce back today after a subpar opening day. The interior OL should be highlighted, as Jalen Rivers, Corey Gaynor, and Navaughn Donaldson were putting people on skates at times and really blasted open some room in the run game that Knighton and Harris took advantage of. Pass protection was much better too as QB’s had a lot more time to throw today; Zion Nelson in particular excelled in this area and it seems his game is really rounding into form. The flip side of this was that the DL had a pretty forgettable day and I can't think of anybody that stood out to me. Still, the line is the toughest position to evaluate without pads and we’ll know more as camp goes along.

**Tirek Austin-Cave deserves mention among the linebackers today, as he had a pick six on a tipped ball and was quick to cut off ballcarriers coming out of the backfield while mainly working on the second and third team. Gilbert Frierson also had a strong day in coverage, jumping a quick slant and almost picking off King. He just has that ideal blend of quickness and physicality and looks ready to make another jump this year. The inside linebackers are mostly still struggling in coverage though, as BJ Jennings and Waynmon Steed in particular were victimized by Mallory multiple times today.

**While the receivers did have a strong day, the DB’s also made their presence felt as well, especially in the first half of practice with a ton of tipped passes. Like I mentioned, even on most of the offenses’ big plays, DB’s were draped on the receivers in coverage; it was just a superior pitch and catch by the QB/WR. On an individual level, DJ Ivey had the biggest standout day in terms of activity with multiple PBU’s. He made a nice effort on one play after Key’Shawn Smith got a few steps on him on a go-route, showing great make-up speed to recover and break up the pass; although, if he got his head around, it would have been an interception opportunity.

Isaiah Dunson played last season around 170 pounds and looked rail thin; he’s up to 186 listed right now and is utilizing that extra strength to his advantage. Dunson looks a lot more physical out there and had a very strong PBU over Dee Wiggins on a short curl, really bodied him and fought through contact to make the play on the ball. Dunson was also close to an INT later on as well. Marcus Clarke had an INT after he wrestled away a bobbled ball by Restrepo near the sidelines, sending his defensive teammates into a frenzy; Clarke also had a diving PBU. I also thought Brian Balom had a solid day in coverage; he got picked on towards the end of practice on the final three plays, but held strong and won two of the reps over Redding and Restrepo. Gurvan Hall got chewed out pretty good by Manny Diaz towards the end of practice for misreading an RPO.

Notes

Miami showed off some different packages on defense today, including James Williams working at second team striker and Amari Carter back at first team safety next to Bubba Bolden for a few reps.

**Working on returns today: Charleston Rambo, Tyrique Stevenson, Te’Cory Couch, Jacolby George, Harley, Knighton, Restrepo, Brashard Smith, and Key’Shawn Smith.

**LB Sam Brooks remains out and was joined on the sidelines by DL Quentin Williams today. OL Jakai Clark was a limited participant.

**Camp resumes tomorrow (Sunday 8/8) at 6 PM, although it is closed to media.

**The below two-deep depth chart reflects how the team opened up in the first 11v11 drill of camp. The first team offense was the exact same as day 1, while over half the defense changed. Note that there was a ton of rotation, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE (1st Team/2nd Team)

QB
: D'Eriq King/Tyler Van Dyke

RB: Cam’Ron Harris/Jaylan Knighton

WR: Charleston Rambo/Dee Wiggins

WR: Key’Shawn Smith/Mike Redding

Slot: Mike Harley/Xavier Restrepo

TE: Will Mallory/Michael Parrott

LT: Zion Nelson/DJ Scaife

LG: Jalen Rivers/Zalon’tae Hillery

C: Corey Gaynor/Ousman Traore

RG: Navaughn Donaldson/Cleveland Reed

RT: Jarrid Williams/Justice Oluwaseun

DEFENSE (1st Team/2nd Team)

DE
: Chantz Williams/Zach McCloud

DT: Nesta Silvera/Jordan Miller

DT: Jared Harrison-Hunte/Jon Ford

DE: Jahfari Harvey/Deandre Johnson

WILL: Keontra Smith/Waynmon Steed

MIKE: Corey Flagg/BJ Jennings

STRK: Gilbert Frierson/Amari Carter

CB: Tyrique Stevenson/Te’Cory Couch

S: Gurvan Hall/Brian Balom

S: Bubba Bolden/Keshawn Washington

CB: DJ Ivey/Isaiah Dunson

Advertisement
Awesome write up as always. Nice to see we have such depth of talent at WR after only a year ago having difficulty fielding a first team. Man, what a difference a couple years makes at QB with Lashlee as our OC. Two years ago the three-deep was Jarren Williams, Kosi Perry and Tate Martell. We have every right to complain we're not "back". But we have come a long way.

Cleveland Reed is second team OG? That's a name I haven't seen in a while. Any intel on him?

Awesome write up as always. Nice to see we have such depth of talent at WR after only a year ago having difficulty fielding a first team. Man, what a difference a couple years makes at QB with Lashlee as our OC. Two years ago the three-deep was Jarren Williams, Kosi Perry and Tate Martell. We have every right to complain we're not "back". But we have come a long way.

Cleveland Reed is second team OG? That's a name I haven't seen in a while. Any intel on him?
Didn't really notice him much tbh

With that first team secondary I’m not surprised that the performance was good from that group. That’s the lineup you take to the bank.

Advertisement
Too bad on Tae Williams, I think he would’ve taken Gurvans spot.
We have never had a safety log as many snaps as him and have so little production to show for it. He gets tackles at times, but where are the PBUs? Ints, FFs, FRs etc… he’s just not around the ball enough to make plays IMO.

**Tirek Austin-Cave deserves mention among the linebackers today, as he had a pick six on a tipped ball and was quick to cut off ballcarriers coming out of the backfield while mainly working on the second and third team. Gilbert Frierson also had a strong day in coverage, jumping a quick slant and almost picking off King. He just has that ideal blend of quickness and physicality and looks ready to make another jump this year. The inside linebackers are mostly still struggling in coverage though, as BJ Jennings and Waynmon Steed in particular were victimized by Mallory multiple times today.

Steed in coverage with the tip on TAC Interception return. 🙌🏾

Advertisement
The second day of Canes fall camp is in the books. Media was allowed to view the entire 2-hour practice, so I was able to form some decent impressions. Disclaimer that there were no pads today, just shirts and shorts, but here were my takeaways.

**Overall, I thought it was another strong day for the QB’s, D’Eriq King and Tyler Van Dyke in particular. There was some inaccuracy and drops by receivers in the early going, but King and Van Dyke (who saw some first team reps) really turned it on in the second half of practice and there was a nice sequence where they traded dimes; first was King with a perfect back shoulder throw to Key’Shawn Smith on a streak that went for 25-30 yards. On the very next play it was Van Dyke with a strike to Michael Redding on a go-route that was placed right on Redding 35-40 yards in the air. There was good coverage on both throws, it was just superior ball placement by the QB’s.

This was something I felt Van Dyke really shined at, as he had multiple “NFL-type” throws to all areas of the field where there was a DB right on his man, but he put it where only the receiver could get it. I thought that was best exemplified on a throw to Xavier Restrepo, who had Brian Balom all over him across the middle and it didn’t look like there was any chance for a play to be made. Instead, Van Dyke led him just enough and Restrepo converted with a full extension diving catch for a pickup of 20. Van Dyke did have two picks, but they were both on the receivers, who bobbled the ball right into the arms of the defender. Van Dyke also had a nice scramble away from pressure that resulted in a 15-20 yard pickup. If I had to pick, I’d say Van Dyke had the best day of the QB’s.

Jake Garcia was a mixed bag today, not his best performance. He had some miscommunications with receivers, threw the complete wrong route in a 1-on-1, held the ball way too long to take an unnecessary sack, and had one or two near interceptions. Still, he made some strong throws that flashed his potential, and his best one was probably the last play of the day where he lofted a pass to the back pylon on a 20-25 yard corner route that Restrepo went up and brought in for the TD, sending the offensive sideline into a frenzy.

**The wide receivers easily were the standout group of the day. Playing in shorts gives the skill guys a big advantage over the linemen when it comes to notable plays, but nonetheless, the receivers have looked much improved as a unit if we’re going by the first two practices. There were probably four or five guys that have arguments for most impressive today, but I’d have to go with Redding and Restrepo, who both also got some first team action as well. Redding has a very versatile skillset where he is physical and big-bodied enough to wall off defenders and haul in short passes as a possession receiver, yet still has enough speed to get deep. He got behind both of UM’s first team corners today in DJ Ivey and Tyrique Stevenson and beat them for big gains on deep balls.

Restrepo was just all over the place today working the underneath game and exploiting gaps in the middle of the field on intermediate routes, plus had about 6 diving catches/near misses by my count. If you think the “hard worker, high effort” label is getting overblown, today was the type of performance where it shows up tangibly on the field. His play also got the team fired up, as his offensive teammates responded with big cheers and yells each time he laid out.

Mike Harley and Key’Shawn Smith should also be singled out for praise as they both had multiple nice catches and runs. Brashard Smith is really a marvel to watch in the open field and his gear is next level, especially when you consider how well built he is as he’s not your typical shrimpy slot receiver. Will Mallory terrorized the linebackers in the middle of the field today as a safety valve for the QB’s. Romello Brinson and Dee Wiggins both had a case of the drops today with multiple mishandles.

**The running backs had a much better day today, as Jaylan Knighton and Cam’Ron Harris both ripped off multiple chunk runs. I was most impressed by Knighton though, who made something out of nothing a few times and was very slippery in making people miss. Harris is in really good shape and looks a hair quicker than last year. Both showed off a strong decisiveness when cutting upfield and hitting the hole hard. Don Chaney also got some first team work, but didn’t make any notable plays and looks to be still knocking off some rust from his injury. Thad Franklin is massive; he’s listed at 6’0” 240 pounds and that’s not an exaggeration. He carries the weight well, though, and made a few nice catches out of the backfield today on the second team.

**The OL had a nice bounce back today after a subpar opening day. The interior OL should be highlighted, as Jalen Rivers, Corey Gaynor, and Navaughn Donaldson were putting people on skates at times and really blasted open some room in the run game that Knighton and Harris took advantage of. Pass protection was much better too as QB’s had a lot more time to throw today; Zion Nelson in particular excelled in this area and it seems his game is really rounding into form. The flip side of this was that the DL had a pretty forgettable day and I can't think of anybody that stood out to me. Still, the line is the toughest position to evaluate without pads and we’ll know more as camp goes along.

**While the receivers did have a strong day, the DB’s also made their presence felt as well, especially in the first half of practice with a ton of tipped passes. Like I mentioned, even on most of the offenses’ big plays, DB’s were draped on the receivers in coverage; it was just a superior pitch and catch by the QB/WR. On an individual level, DJ Ivey had the biggest standout day in terms of activity with multiple PBU’s. He made a nice effort on one play after Key’Shawn Smith got a few steps on him on a go-route, showing great make-up speed to recover and break up the pass; although, if he got his head around, it would have been an interception opportunity.

Isaiah Dunson played last season around 170 pounds and looked rail thin; he’s up to 186 listed right now and is utilizing that extra strength to his advantage. Dunson looks a lot more physical out there and had a very strong PBU over Dee Wiggins on a short curl, really bodied him and fought through contact to make the play on the ball. Dunson was also close to an INT later on as well. Marcus Clarke had an INT after he wrestled away a bobbled ball by Restrepo near the sidelines, sending his defensive teammates into a frenzy; Clarke also had a diving PBU. I also thought Brian Balom had a solid day in coverage; he got picked on towards the end of practice on the final three plays, but held strong and won two of the reps over Redding and Restrepo. Gurvan Hall got chewed out pretty good by Manny Diaz towards the end of practice for misreading an RPO.

Notes

Miami showed off some different packages on defense today, including James Williams working at second team striker and Amari Carter back at first team safety next to Bubba Bolden for a few reps.

**Working on returns today: Charleston Rambo, Tyrique Stevenson, Te’Cory Couch, Jacolby George, Harley, Knighton, Restrepo, Brashard Smith, and Key’Shawn Smith.

**LB Sam Brooks remains out and was joined on the sidelines by DL Quentin Williams today. OL Jakai Clark was a limited participant.

**The below two-deep depth chart reflects how the team opened up in the first 11v11 drill of camp. The first team offense was the exact same as day 1, while over half the defense changed. Note that there was a ton of rotation, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

DEPTH CHART

QB

DE

Don’t look now - LBs emerging.

Notes

DEPTH CHART

QB

DE

Also - BRUH you’re putting out the best camp content period. Preciate it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back